PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question...JK Exhausts

Fatboris
June 19th, 2014, 07:38 AM
They say there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots. Here goes. I'm running the 3.8 in my JK which is a dog. With that in mind there are two things I've been trying to keep to a minimum. Weight, for the reasons stated, and money, because why waste it if I don't have to. My rig is 75% trail use and 25% road use I've pretty well decided on the DynoMax exhaust as a buddy has it and I like it. There's the "rear dump" or the "front of the rear axle dump" for $100 less. I've been told by self proclaimed experts that the off-road exhaust will put fumes in the Jeep but...will it really? I know it's also quite a bit louder. I'm hoping someone here has a little first hand experience and can give me some guidance. I'm pretty well sold on the Dynomax so if the discussion could stay limited to those two that'd be most helpful. Thanks!

Here are the two:
http://www.dynomax.com/single-2-5-cat-back-system-ultra-flo-polished-muffler-454.html

http://www.dynomax.com/single-2-5-cat-back-system-ultra-flo-polished-muffler-453.html

Shane
June 19th, 2014, 07:44 AM
It is possible it just depends on how long you are idling in one spot for, it will just collect under the jeep.

Fatboris
June 26th, 2014, 04:52 AM
So pretty much sounds like Highway driving would be OK but might be a bit risky for trail use or crawling?

Jim
June 26th, 2014, 09:48 AM
FWIW - regarding in-vehicle fumes...

My old soft top did not have the bar across the tailgate. On the highway I would notice fumes in the vehicle (windows closed). I never noticed much, if any, on slow speed trail use.

My current top has the bar across the tailgate (much better sealing at the rear of the vehicle) - I have not noticed exhaust fumes at highway or slow speed.

My exhaust tip is perhaps 2" inboard from the leaf spring's rear bolt.

Hypoid
June 26th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'm not a fan of exhaust leaks under a vehicle. At least your vehicle is new/clean enough to keep the CO exposure to a minimum.

JeepWrench
July 23rd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Mine dumps out the side just forward of the pass rear tire.......Never had any issues

Dutch
July 23rd, 2014, 10:53 AM
Personally I wouldn't waste my money on the exhaust at all, you're not going to gain enough out of that 3.8L to be worth the cost. Unless you're exhaust is damaged and needs replaced anyways I'd just leave it alone. Intakes, tuners, and exhaust systems are all just a waste on these things. You're better off spending the money on gears.