PDA

View Full Version : CVJ upgraded axles installed on 4Runner

Fireball
June 30th, 2014, 06:00 PM
After doing my own research I decided to go with CVJ here in Denver for my axles.
I had them installed today. The factory inner boots tore open on a trail from some basic flex.
The red boot should alleviate the tearing. Or so they say... so we will find out.

Installed on 6/30/2014 - (these replaced the orig 2006 factory axles @ 155k miles)

Pic 1 - axles on the counter at CVJ
Pic 2 - driver's side looking from the front to rear.

SubAlpine
June 30th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I am running the same boots. Top notch out fit there. I am pleased.

Fireball
June 30th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Good to hear you are happy with the boots.
I think we are lucky to have them here in Denver.
I've only driven around the block with them so far. :steer:

Patrolman
June 30th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Looks good!

Chris
June 30th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I need those myself, I've just started hearing the click-click of mine failing.

The StRanger
June 30th, 2014, 10:16 PM
With my lift and stock sespention, No sway bar and the way I flex it out, Im damn lucky I haven't blown out my axles yet !!

otisdog
July 1st, 2014, 03:15 PM
Nice - I don't think you'll ever regret putting them babies in.
Jim

curt86iroc
July 8th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Can i ask what they charged you for the pair??

Fireball
July 8th, 2014, 02:07 PM
It was about $140/side. Just over $300 with tax (for both axles with red boots)

Haku
July 8th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Are those upgraded besides the boots or just stock replacement? The only real upgrade axle shafts I've seen for Toyota's come from RCV and they are 6 times the price. Even if its just a slight upgrade in how much they travel or strength, I'd be interested in getting a set for my 1st Gen 4runner when I get around to doing the long travel kit that has been on the shelf for a year.

Fireball
July 8th, 2014, 02:26 PM
They do offer a higher end product line for rock crawling and racing. You can call them and they can tell you what they have. They have different upgrades. Their standard rebuilt axle is supposed to be better than the OEM (the parts guy at the dealership also recommended CVJ). The upgraded inner boot allows more travel without rubbing boot bellows, keeping the boot from wearing out.

I purchased the regular axle ($99) and the boot upgrade ($40) for each side.

From what I understand, its more than just the boot. Their axle is better than OEM. It isn't a major upgrade like the high-end performance line.

curt86iroc
July 8th, 2014, 02:48 PM
They do offer a higher end product line for rock crawling and racing. You can call them and they can tell you what they have. They have different upgrades. Their standard rebuilt axle is supposed to be better than the OEM (the parts guy at the dealership also recommended CVJ). The upgraded inner boot allows more travel without rubbing boot bellows, keeping the boot from wearing out.

I purchased the regular axle ($99) and the boot upgrade ($40) for each side.

From what I understand, its more than just the boot. Their axle is better than OEM. It isn't a major upgrade like the high-end performance line.

i wonder if they are taking stock CVs and rebuilding them with nicer bearing, grease and such... id be interested to call and find out (my stock cvs have over 170xxx on the clock....)

Chris
July 8th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I have 171K on mine and have decided to go with stock parts, figure they lasted this long so why start experimenting with others?

Barb was less than thrilled when I told her I was getting them replaced until I hooked up my trailer and went up and incline while she was standing beside the truck. After hearing the noise she asked if we'd make it home. :lmao:

Fireball
July 8th, 2014, 08:52 PM
i wonder if they are taking stock CVs and rebuilding them with nicer bearing, grease and such... id be interested to call and find out (my stock cvs have over 170xxx on the clock....)

That's my understanding. The insides are just slightly better than the Toyota OEM parts. The core charge is reversed when you bring back Toyota axles. They don't take cheap axles in on trade.
155k on mine and I tore it on a trail. Was just the inner but didn't want to ride around like that. I know I keep hearing about folks putting thousands of miles or driving until it clicks like Chris is. I guess you don't know my luck.... I went ahead and changed it out.

I wasn't going to replace it with a cheap NAPA/Autozone/Chinese disposable axle. Especially with my luck. :lmao:

Chris - how much were you able to get your axles for?

The StRanger
July 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Barb was less than thrilled when I told her I was getting them replaced until I hooked up my trailer and went up and incline while she was standing beside the truck. After hearing the noise she asked if we'd make it home. :lmao:
Sounds like Sher. Every time I take it out she think it will come home on a wrecker...

Chris
July 9th, 2014, 08:39 AM
how much were you able to get your axles for?

They go in tomorrow Steve, I use a local shop that's excellent, the estimate is about $500-$600. I could get it done for less but this works for me as I'm in the middle of our move. I think it'll be in the shop while movers move our stuff to the new place.

Fireball
July 9th, 2014, 11:15 AM
You told me you had a good mechanic. Sounds like its being done at a good time for you. Now its time to hit a trail. :steer:

Chris
July 9th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I'm ready to hit the trail and it'll be soon. Our buyer pushed up the closing date to Friday so we're moving tomorrow (ready or not) so my new CV's will be done on Monday instead.

tonkatoy
July 10th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I send everyone that needs CV axles to CVJ. They do good work and they are great people. Known Steve and Nancy for quit a few years.