PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a non commercial source for doing a CDL skills test?

Haku
July 22nd, 2014, 10:17 PM
Hey guys,

So one of the companies I freelanced for has been softly hinting that they want me to get a Class B license so I can drive their bigger trucks, and that it would get me more work. I'm still kind of reluctant since it adds complexity to my life, but more work sounds nice too.

So my dilemma right now is that the CDL testing seems like a racket to me, and all of the commercial places you can get them want to charge you too much to get tested, so I'm hoping to circumnavigate them and get it done elsewhere. If one looks at the list of approved testing facilities, there are many government organizations and private companies that don't make their money doing these tests for a living but rather just like to be able to test their own employees instead.

I have a truck I can use for the test, and would be willing to make it worth the person's while, so let me know if you know of anyone that might be willing to do it.

Cheers,

Josh

redneck23ms
July 23rd, 2014, 07:00 AM
There's a place in Fort collins that administers tests for 250ish if you supply the truck. That's where I tested

Haku
July 23rd, 2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah....those are the kinds of places I am trying to avoid if possible. $250 for a 20 minute test seems like highway robbery to me, and they can fail you over a technicality and then you have to pay to test again.

There are places down here in Denver like CDL College and others that are about the same, and I'd like to avoid them if possible.

redneck23ms
July 23rd, 2014, 04:40 PM
takes more than 20 mins but i know what you mean on the price. my work paid for mine so i didn't care.if you have the option to go for class A instead of B i would do that if it were me. my work normally only lets guys get a restricted class A. which is no air brake no tractor trailer. but i talked them into letting me do a full class A. i thought it was dumb to do the training and testing to get a restricted license.

Haku
July 23rd, 2014, 04:53 PM
Sure...more then 20 minutes...an hour perhaps? That is the sort of money that Lawyers and Doctors charge for their services, which just doesn't add up. I can afford it and it would get me more work so its worth it, but its the kind of thing that just seems like its more about making a profit and less about making sure people are qualified.

As for the class A thing...I don't ever foresee myself wanting to drive a Class A tractor trailer. I've pulled longish gooseneck trailers and had a hard enough time with that and want nothing to do with an 18 wheeler that is twice as long. I know if I got the class A it would make it too easy to get coerced into driving them. I'm fine driving a box truck of any size, but the trailer adds a whole another aspect to it that I want no part of. I'm still reluctant to get even the Class B, because its kind of nice to not have to worry about not working too much and then having to drive afterward. Its far too common in my industry to fudge your log books and drive illegally.

I would agree though, if I wanted to do Class A, its worth taking the test right away rather then taking a class B and then having to go back and upgrade.