PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee alternator up grade questions

94ToyBear
August 5th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I have a 89 yj with a 99 xj Motor.
This weekend my alternator went out and yeeep its time to up grade.
I (belive) have a (and free) 2000 grand Cherokee alternator. From my understanding the GC has 136 amp and my xj alternator has 117A
The big thing is I dont want to spend the cash on a stock replacement if I have the upgraded alternator at hand. I have been reading on other forums about this up grade BUT man they are confusing ! other then modifying the brackets im not 100% what they are talking about.

Has anyone here either done this upgrade or know a really good build thread with pics ??

Thanks !!

Just pulled my original one, the GC alternator fit right in place with out any bracket mods.

Hypoid
August 5th, 2014, 09:00 PM
The big question is regulating the voltage. Does your old alternator have the voltage regulator mounted internally?

94ToyBear
August 5th, 2014, 09:53 PM
From what im reading and also using specs off of AutoZones web site they are both external regulated.

Patrolman
August 5th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Can you rebuild the XJ? I have had great luck rebuilding the Toyota alternators. Put in new brushes is usually all it needs.

94ToyBear
August 5th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Jeff , im sure I can but while its out and I have one on had id like to get some more power. With a winch and electric fan and a possible stroked motor around the corner and another electric fan id like to up grade. To be honest all I probably have to do is clean out the old because it stoped working after I hit the mud puddle at jenny lake.

Hypoid
August 6th, 2014, 05:12 AM
From what im reading and also using specs off of AutoZones web site they are both external regulated.I guess I'm still a little confused about your current set up. When you installed the engine from the XJ, did you swap over all the engine controls, and ECU?

94ToyBear
August 6th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I actually purchased it with the swap completed. Everything as far as engine controls was switched over.
I am assuming it was a 4 banger if that info help at all.

Hypoid
August 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Everything as far as engine controls was switched over.That makes it OBD2, with the ECU regulating the voltage. During those years, the ECU would read a temperature sensor under the battery to prevent overcharging.

I'll do some reading tonight...

94ToyBear
August 6th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Yeah its obd2. Thanks iv been looking aswell

Hypoid
August 7th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Oops! I fell asleep. If the thing bolts on, pulley lines up, and harness plugs in, you have a ringer.

What other vehicles would use this alternator?

94ToyBear
August 7th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Sleeping on the job huh ! Haha. It bolts up im sure it lines up the harness is not the same. Ill post a link of some elses build.

94ToyBear
August 7th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Well I needed my jeep back on the road sooner then I needed and ended up pulling the original apart.
Cleaned it out in my sink with soap and water and all the junk came out.
Put it back together and tossed back in and it works.
Not going to do the upgrade as of now but will so it soon.