PDA

View Full Version : 4 low

Beef Jerky
August 18th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I am having trouble with my 4 low "locking in". It goes into 4 low and works very well however, once i try to start adding torque to the engine, the shifter pops out of place and makes a terrible grinding noise. I was able to get through Barbour Fork with it yesterday but could not do the rock climb on the left if you turn right at the "Y". Very frustrated... I had my general mechanic adjust it last week (I am not mechanically inclined but ready to learn as much as I can, just please have patience) and it worked better than the previous week but no where near 100%. Any ideas?

94ToyBear
August 18th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Do you have tranfer case spacers ?
Check the linkage bushing condition. I was working on an xj with a worn bushing and poped out as well

JFjeld
August 20th, 2014, 11:06 AM
The z-bar design of the transfer case linkage is a poor design. On my 2001 TJ, I recently had my shift linkage pop on Holy Cross. Later on when I put it back together I couldn't engage 4-Lo. These transfer cases with this design are notorious for pop-outs, grinding, etc. Options are to adjust the Z-bar linkage or, better yet, go with a cable-actuated shifter. I just picked up this Novak shifter which is pretty highly-regarded, and plan to install it this weekend:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2xc.htm

Beef Jerky
August 20th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately it is Chinese to me. I have never worked on cars but am learning, very quickly, that I absolutely need to start learning. My mechanic has adjusted it twice now but, says that I may have stripped the tooth that locks it in.

I had rock sliders installed a month ago, before I took it out, and when i Picked it up I couldn't even get my main gear shift into reverse and they had to adjust it. I have been since told that it is the same for the 4 low gear shift... should I take it back to 4 wheel Parts and see if they can help me or would you be willing to help?

88Toy
August 21st, 2014, 08:18 AM
Do a YouTube search on the problem. Chances are, it's been covered with a good video and is a good way to learn about it.

Java
August 21st, 2014, 08:50 AM
do you have a body lift? that can change the way the shifter fits the hole in the floor, may not go back far enough. I had a YJ that popped out of 4low but I never figured it out, and all I did was put a bungee from the driver's seat frame around the t-case shifter to hold it in 4low. I was poorer then... :)

Beef Jerky
August 21st, 2014, 09:04 AM
Do a YouTube search on the problem. Chances are, it's been covered with a good video and is a good way to learn about it.
Good idea, thanks.

Beef Jerky
August 21st, 2014, 09:17 AM
do you have a body lift? that can change the way the shifter fits the hole in the floor, may not go back far enough. I had a YJ that popped out of 4low but I never figured it out, and all I did was put a bungee from the driver's seat frame around the t-case shifter to hold it in 4low. I was poorer then... :)
Yeah, I had rock sliders added before I started taking it out and that raised the body 1/4". I talked to a guy at High Country Performance and he said the same thing. My mechanic has adjusted to where I have plenty of room between 2 high and 4 low but, he said, by the shifter popping out several times in high stress situations, that I probably stripped the tooth that locked it in. Now what? Is it a matter of replacing that metal plate that locks each gear? Any idea what that plate is called?
Thanks for the help.

JFjeld
August 21st, 2014, 09:32 AM
I'm about 20-30 mins north of Denver in Frederick. I'd be more than happy to help you if you were to come up my way. I will say that due to my recent issues that I explained above, I'm choosing not to mess with an already poorly designed mechanism and going right to an improved and simple design with the Novak shifter. I haven't personally messed with the adjustment screw, and if your mechanic has already done that several times, you may want to consider other options.

I would also recommend picking up a factory service manual. The Haynes and Chilton's options aren't the best, but its a good place to start and become more intimately familiar with your Jeep.