PDA

View Full Version : My wheeling season probably over this year

javaman34
August 18th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Well, my season may be over for this year. After getting home from Devil's Canyon yesterday, I noticed my transmission has developed a minor slip. I checked the fluid, a quart low (probably from when I installed the tranny cooler). Smelled the dipstick and it didn't smell burnt or anything. I will know more tomorrow when I drive it to work.

Jim
August 18th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Ouch. Hope it's "nothing" that has a $$ on it.

Chris
August 18th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Good luck on the drive tomorrow Jerry, hope it proves to be something cheap or easy to fix!

javaman34
August 18th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I'm kind of hoping it was just because of low fluid.

Squshiee1
August 18th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I have had this problem before in the rodeo. I was a quart low and noticed a little bit of slip. So i filled the trans with a quart and the slip went away, and it started to shift much more smoothly, and it was more responsive! Best of luck to ya!

javaman34
August 18th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Since it happened on Jackie's run, can I blame her? :rolleyes:

Patrolman
August 18th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Years ago I bought an old Scout II for $125 that had a badly slipping tranny. Put 7 quarts into it and drove it home. It never gave a problem after that. Hoping that is all that was needed!

javaman34
August 18th, 2014, 09:23 PM
If it doesn't go away, I'll end up pulling the pan and see if there is anything there. I did a transmission service on it about 4 years ago and there was nothing on the magnet or in the fluid.

Patrolman
August 18th, 2014, 09:33 PM
If it doesn't resolve itself, reach out to Steve (Scoutman). He had issues burning up transmissions a few years ago. Got good at doing basic rebuilds and also adjusting the bands. I am sure he could provide some tips.

Java
August 18th, 2014, 09:41 PM
my dd got a leak in the tranny pan a couple of weeks ago when I hit a pothole and bottomed out, when it gets a little low it slips. As soon as I top it off it's fine.

CS79bronco
August 18th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Good luck, hope it's just from being a little low.

javaman34
August 19th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Well, this morning the tranny was slipping a bit, but seemed to be working properly as I drove it to work. I figured the real test will be when I head home now the the fluid has a chance to circulate. On the ride home, NO ISSUES. I'm still going to have it looked at this weekend to be on the safe side. Also had a few guys from work smell the dipstick since my sniffer has been plugged and they all said it didn't smell burnt.

Chris
August 19th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Good to hear, pretty great to only be low on fluid. Hoping it continues to behave! :thumb: