Empire Loop and Bill Lake

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014

Meeting Place & Time-
Subway parking lot in Empire
9am. Hit the trail 9:30

Directions-
I70 West to Empire

CB Channel being used

I've done this trail twice. The trail to Bill Lake is pretty open. The trail for the empire loop heading towards the cabin is tight. As in I tucked my side view mirrors in. We'll cross a creek twice. Once at the bottom of the loop, then we'll end up at the cabin, then the next crossing will be at the top of the loop. At the top section of the loop it gets a bit rocky but I've done it in my stock rig without issue. I have a winch in case anyone needs help or gets stuck. If you have a strap bring it.*

I can't think of anything else. Any questions, reply here or sign on to the trip in the trails section.

Tom
August 20th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Pretty sure I am in. Was planning on taking my sister out on Sat. Just need to be certain she can meet me in time

Tom
August 20th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Confirmed. I am in.

Outdoorslover
August 20th, 2014, 07:48 PM
My coworker also has a wrangler that he's bringing. So, so far it's 3 of us.

Beef Jerky
August 20th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Hey Y'all,
I want to get out this weekend but, I am having trouble with my 4 low. The gear **** keeps popping out out of gear.. I do not want to be a pain so I need to know if I will need it.
Also, my mechanic (as I do not have the knowledge yet...) has adjusted it but says I may have already stripped the tooth that will lock it in. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Outdoorslover
August 21st, 2014, 04:36 AM
Hey Y'all,
I want to get out this weekend but, I am having trouble with my 4 low. The gear **** keeps popping out out of gear.. I do not want to be a pain so I need to know if I will need it.
Also, my mechanic (as I do not have the knowledge yet...) has adjusted it but says I may have already stripped the tooth that will lock it in. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If memory serves me correctly I can think of at least two places you'll need 4lo. At the beginning going down through the trees(on the loop portion) and towards the end going over the rocky area. I'm pretty sure there was an area where I even locked up. Granted I'm sure I could've done it without locking up but I'm sure I'd at least want 4lo.

Beef Jerky
August 21st, 2014, 09:22 AM
If memory serves me correctly I can think of at least two places you'll need 4lo. At the beginning going down through the trees(on the loop portion) and towards the end going over the rocky area. I'm pretty sure there was an area where I even locked up. Granted I'm sure I could've done it without locking up but I'm sure I'd at least want 4lo.

O.K. I am not worried about the downhill part, it seems to work pretty good in that regard. How long is the rocky section and is there anyplace during the rocky section that will need me to utilize the parking brake at the same time? Cause, if not I can hold it in. I also have a winch and a tow strap that I always bring out.
Again, I do not want to ruin anyone's fun out there but, I'd really like to join you if you don't mind... Thanks!

Outdoorslover
August 21st, 2014, 09:58 AM
The rock area is short and no climbing. Just across and over. If you can hold it you should be fine.

Beef Jerky
August 21st, 2014, 10:03 AM
The rock area is short and no climbing. Just across and over. If you can hold it you should be fine.
Cool! Consider me in then! See you Sat.

Tom
August 21st, 2014, 04:26 PM
Cool. I was thinking yes, but it's not my run.:D

Tom
August 21st, 2014, 04:27 PM
Edited my prev post and it duplicated. Please ignore:D

Outdoorslover
August 21st, 2014, 07:11 PM
Edited my prev post and it duplicated. Please ignore:D

Now that I'm thoroughly confused. .....are you going or?????

Tom
August 21st, 2014, 07:28 PM
Yes I am going. I edited this post "Cool. I was thinking yes, but it's not my run.:D" And it posted it a second time when I made a minor edit.

Beef Jerky
August 22nd, 2014, 01:10 PM
Yes I am going. I edited this post "Cool. I was thinking yes, but it's not my run.:D" And it posted it a second time when I made a minor edit.

So this run is still on correct?:confused: I also got a message from Jim telling to update my rsvp which I did yesterday. I still would like to go. When do y'all think we will be finished?

Outdoorslover
August 22nd, 2014, 01:19 PM
Trip is still on. Rain or shine.

I'm planning for the day. 5pm.

Beef Jerky
August 22nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
Trip is still on. Rain or shine.

I'm planning for the day. 5pm.

Is there a spot in the run that I could take off earlier? I am going to the game tomorrow night (just stumbled across them this morning) and need to be home by that time.

So, if not then I will have to sit this one out.

Outdoorslover
August 22nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
My plan is to head to the lake first, check out the view, pics etc. Then head for the loop, head back to the lake, bbq, eat, maybe fish a little then maybe head to Devils cyn.

I'm thinking maybe get off the loop by noon 1pm?. After that whoever needs to head out can do so. If anyone wants to hang for the rest, feel free. Oh, bring some food and a stove too. Lol.

I'll be bringing my two burner Coleman to cook on and a cooler of food and beverages.

Beef Jerky
August 22nd, 2014, 01:47 PM
My plan is to head to the lake first, check out the view, pics etc. Then head for the loop, head back to the lake, bbq, eat, maybe fish a little then maybe head to Devils cyn.

I'm thinking maybe get off the loop by noon 1pm?. After that whoever needs to head out can do so. If anyone wants to hang for the rest, feel free. Oh, bring some food and a stove too. Lol.

I'll be bringing my two burner Coleman to cook on and a cooler of food and beverages.

I do have a small propane camping grill I can bring along with brats and buns. Will you have condiments in your cooler?
So, it looks like maybe 5 or six of us right? I am bringing my nephew.

Outdoorslover
August 22nd, 2014, 02:05 PM
Well, there's 4 rigs going so far. My coworker is bringing his wife and maybe his son, I'm flying solo, I'm not sure about the other yes response or the maybe response. It also depends on the weather. It may rain.

As for condiments, I hadn't thought of it. Maybe ketchup and mustard?

glacierpaul
August 22nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
It will rain tomorrow guy's, heck there is even a slight chance for snow:rolleyes: in the afternoon for around 10,000ft. Just a heads up for you city folks :)

Tom
August 22nd, 2014, 04:13 PM
Didn't really want to do the lake this run. I'll probably pass then.

THX1138
August 22nd, 2014, 05:28 PM
Can someone give me a rating on these trails? I have my 6 year old so I don't like doing anything over a 6 because he kind of freaks out due to his fear of getting stuck and a bear eating him LOL. Anyway, if it is a mellow run, I'm down.

Beef Jerky
August 22nd, 2014, 06:02 PM

Come on up! They have told me that I can get through with minimum 4 low. I am having issues with it. We are going to do lunch and I think we got the main course and sides covered, maybe desert for those who want it...

Beef Jerky
August 22nd, 2014, 06:03 PM
Can someone give me a rating on these trails? I have my 6 year old so I don't like doing anything over a 6 because he kind of freaks out due to his fear of getting stuck and a bear eating him LOL. Anyway, if it is a mellow run, I'm down.
Come on up! They have told me that I can get through with minimum 4 low. I am having issues with it. We are going to do lunch and I think we got the main course and sides covered, maybe desert for those who want it...

Beef Jerky
August 22nd, 2014, 06:04 PM

Sorry Tom, this reply was meant for THX1138.

Beef Jerky
August 22nd, 2014, 06:08 PM
Well, there's 4 rigs going so far. My coworker is bringing his wife and maybe his son, I'm flying solo, I'm not sure about the other yes response or the maybe response. It also depends on the weather. It may rain.

As for condiments, I hadn't thought of it. Maybe ketchup and mustard?

Sure, sounds good. I have my nephew bringing chips. What about plates and napkins... necessary or not?

xaza
August 22nd, 2014, 06:10 PM
Red Elephant is typically run uphill, and particularly if you have 4 rigs not a good idea to run the other way. Up Red Elephant to Bill Moore could probably be done in time for a late lunch at the lake. From there you could backtrack down from lake and people needing to leave early could do so while you run the Mill Creek loop.

Outdoorslover
August 22nd, 2014, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure why but.....everyone is missing the part I mentioned.in the run posted that we're going via main street not red elephant.

Outdoorslover
August 22nd, 2014, 07:17 PM
As for the cooking part. ....THAT has changed because of the rain. I'm not interested in standing in the rain while cooking. Lol.

soooo......I'll be bringing some snacks and probably a foot long from subway since that's where we're meeting.

THX1138
August 22nd, 2014, 08:32 PM
Well hell. I'll see you all at the Subway.

xaza
August 23rd, 2014, 05:14 AM
Yep I had forgotten you weren't running Red Elephant, my bad. It even says it right on the run, lol. Have a good day out there and takes lots of pics for us web wheelers.

Beef Jerky
August 23rd, 2014, 07:53 AM
As for the cooking part. ....THAT has changed because of the rain. I'm not interested in standing in the rain while cooking. Lol.

soooo......I'll be bringing some snacks and probably a foot long from subway since that's where we're meeting.

10/4. I may be about 10 min. Late. Can you send me your cell#?

Beef Jerky
August 23rd, 2014, 07:58 AM

10/4. I may be about 10 min. Late. Can you send me your cell#?

THX1138
August 23rd, 2014, 01:14 PM
Well . . . I drove all the way up here and was in the Subway parking lot at 9:15. I stayed there until 10:00 am and no one showed. Is this common? It kind of sucks.

Tom
August 23rd, 2014, 02:22 PM
Well . . . I drove all the way up here and was in the Subway parking lot at 9:15. I stayed there until 10:00 am and no one showed. Is this common? It kind of sucks.
That's not common at all. Glad I didn't drive up from Longmont. That said, I see you didn't sign up on the calendar. They had no way of knowing you were actually going.to join. If I were he leader and everyone who indicated yes on the calendar arrived, we'd leave.

Fatboris
August 23rd, 2014, 02:34 PM
That's not common at all. Glad I didn't drive up from Longmont. That said, I see you didn't sign up on the calendar. They had no way of knowing you were actually going.to join. If I were he leader and everyone who indicated yes on the calendar arrived, we'd leave.

Shawn, make sure and go to the calendar and RSVP tomorrow's run if you want to make it...Tom's spot on there.

THX1138
August 23rd, 2014, 04:05 PM
Okay. I think I have everything figured out. I was unaware of the calendar. I just said I was going via this thread.

Tom
August 23rd, 2014, 04:25 PM
Yep, you are on the calendar for tomorrow. We'll be looking for you.

Outdoorslover
August 23rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
Uhm.....I'm not sure what happened with communications but I'm sincerely sorry you drove up there for nothing. We were all there at 9am. I actually arrived at 8:30. I was parked on the side street just before subway in clear view. Then one at a time everyone arrived just before 9am. We stood around chit chatting until 915 (all of us had the same time on our cells), we then drove up one block, made a right on main street and drove up to where the fences start and aired down our tires and then began the trip. Less than a mile up the road I got a flat. We pulled over and swapped tires then continued on.

I will say this......while we were airing down I thought I heard something go over the cb regarding the 4x4 forum. So I raced over to the radio and responded. Saying " anyone from the front range 4x4"? I waited and got nothing. I don't know if that was you or I imagined it but no one responded back. Beef jerky sent me a message with his cell so we exchanged numbers. Lucky he did because his message was telling me that he was running late. That helped.

my first run and it seems I've disappointed someone. I think in the future it would be wise to exchange numbers or at the very least....get there early.

THX1138
August 24th, 2014, 07:42 AM
That would have been me. Anyway, My son and I did some hiking, and I also made a left on Main st and noticed a trail and hanged around there for a bit. That said, what is that trail? I made a right on Main, but must have not went up far enough.

Outdoorslover
August 24th, 2014, 08:25 AM
That would have been me. Anyway, My son and I did some hiking, and I also made a left on Main st and noticed a trail and hanged around there for a bit. That said, what is that trail? I made a right on Main, but must have not went up far enough.

No clue what trail that is. As for main street, it continues all the way to the top.

If that was you on the radio why didn't you respond back????