PDA

View Full Version : New car buying/selling advise needed

Jackie
August 27th, 2014, 08:11 PM
We recently moved from Westminster to Evergreen which makes driving a whole different ballgame as far as gas mileage and capability per/vehicle is concerned. I also might not be able to work from home any more so, I need a good reliable DD that won't cost me my first-born child to fill the gas tank.

The cars we currently own:

A 2000 Honda Odyssey purchased brand new, now with a little over 150K miles (regular service and just serviced 1 week ago always from Honda.). 2-wheel drive. (Not gonna make it up in Evergreen in the winter and will need more service to get it running for another 100K miles. The mechanic told me about 4K worth of work). (But most of that is labor).

A 2008 Jeep Rubicon 2dr. Purchased brand new, now with only 30K miles on it. Regular maintenance from the dealership (but I did take it to Jiffy Lube for the first time last week for an oil change). Dual tops, Warn 8000 Winch which has only been unspooled once (never used), original Rubicon sliders with "Pete Brody fab-work" for steps, Shrockworks front bumper which is super nice. I LOVE this Jeep! Off roading for me is pretty mild - medium. I think the hardest trails I have taken it on are Poison Spider and Top of the World in Moab. Nothing more than pin-stripes as far as body damage. Full under-body protection.

Here's the hard part: We have enjoyed both vehicles very much for different reasons, but the van may not get us out of the snow and is no longer reliable for cross-country road-trips we like to do. The Jeep is reliable, but not sufficient for a family cross-country road trip as it is not comfortable or roomy enough for that. Nor is it good on gas mileage as a DD.

So tonight we were talking... Maybe we need to let them both go and get some new vehicles which are more conducive to our needs. Both have to be 4x4. At least one needs to be able to comfortably transport a family of 3 plus luggage etc. across country comfortably. The second, I would prefer to be off-road capable for mild-medium trails, get fairly decent gas mileage and have 4 doors. Plus we want gas efficiency, because both will be DD's.

We talked a little about the Honda Pilot to replace the van and a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited to replace my Jeep. (Or maybe a Cherokee).

We don't know. But we have to do something (at least with the van) because we have to be able to get out of the driveway once the weather hits!

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

gm4x4lover
August 27th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Snow tires. Makes a 2wd drive like a 4wd.

Which ones are payed for and which one do you owe on?

Patrolman
August 27th, 2014, 09:33 PM
If you are looking at new cars, keep Subaru in mind. A co-worker has been shopping for one for a DD and the mpg is impressive for AWD. I was surprised that there are multiple models that return mid-30mpg on the highway. My 2001 Forester used to get 29mpg in mixed driving, so I can believe the stats are fairly realistic.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Subaru2014.shtml

Java
August 27th, 2014, 09:48 PM
We're getting ready to trade my wife's 2012 forester in for an Xterra, the forester is great and gets mileage in the high 20s, but she wants more hp and trail capability and after looking around it seems to me that the Xterra is the best deal going for her. The PRO4X is about 10,000 less than a JKU. The Pilot is nice, but it has the worst crash ratings of any SUV. We've got over 20k on the Forester with no issues, but I'd get a the turbo for the mountians if I had it over. Shop on the last day of the month in the afternoon, its the last day for the dealer to meet quotas and your best chance for a deal. I saw that on TV, so it's true.

Rick
August 27th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I work up there year round in a AWD Van and have never had a problem and it never gets bad enough for a car payment....just sayin....they plow up there better then in town....I would maybe think about a plow for your jeep depending on how long your driveway is vs. a new car.....just my:2c:

Myrtle Turtle
August 28th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Depending on the length of your new driveway, I would suggest considering something front wheel drive and some snow tires over two SUVs if fuel economy really is a priority. We're loving our Jetta, the TDI models get excellent highway mileage and the trunk is huge. Trade the Honda for now and keep the Jeep. I know you want a 4 door, but even with the better axle ratio on the JKUR (now an option on the Rubi, so check before you buy), you're going to be heavier and I'm not getting significantly better mpg out of the 2013 over my 2008. If you can hang on a couple more years in the 2 door, I really think we'll see a diesel JKU option and you can have the second one :D.

otisdog
August 28th, 2014, 04:14 AM
I think I'd keep the Jeep you have and focus on a good replacement for the other.
4-wheel drive and good gas mileage just don't go together so that will be a tough chore if you want the replacement for the van to be 4 wheel drive. Maybe a Suburu or something like that if it gives you the traveling capabilities you need.
Jim

Shadowmaker
August 28th, 2014, 04:52 AM
2nd the vote for an Xterra. Nissan for some reason does not carry the the same mystique (IE price tag) that other imports do in this market place. Good space for family trips and decent fuel economy as ours averages around 20ish. The SO is from Florida so we stuck some ice tires under hers and it sticks to the road like glue. The more advanced models have 4 low and as mentioned above has a rear locker on the the Offroad or PRO X. If you choose to go new on this, I have a contact that can save some $$, just hit me up via a PM.

IMHO, stick with the Rubicon for this winter in your stable and replace the Honda. The replacement vehicle will run an extra $1,000ish to perform registration and accessorization.

Brad
August 28th, 2014, 06:25 AM
4 runner or land rover LR3. The LR3 comes with a free mechanic. Me. :thumb:

Chris
August 28th, 2014, 06:56 AM
4 runner or land rover LR3. The LR3 comes with a free mechanic. Me. :thumb:

I say a 4Runner (no mechanic needed) :lmao:

Bob
August 28th, 2014, 07:42 AM
A few thoughts

When I've run the numbers in the past it has been very, very difficult to make up the cost of a vehicle by getting better mileage, unless I got one at a real bargain basement price or could make a good trade.

Is the issue snow depth in the driveway and local street or just snow packed and icy roads generally? Do the neighbors get along ok with front wheel drive or do they all need 4x4 or AWD?

I would look real hard at keeping the minivan. What work is needed on the Odyssey? Could the work be done for less elsewhere? Even at 150K Hondas are usually very reliable. Minivans are such versatile and useful vehicles, can be a DD, people mover one day, pickup truck the next, vacation bus after that.

I have a 99 Odyssey bought new with almost 190K now, and with nubbier all season tires it does well in the snow with the traction control. With Blizzaks it would be great. The clearance isn't like a Jeep but then neither are a lot of cross over SUVs.

FINOCJ
August 28th, 2014, 09:13 AM
A few thoughts

When I've run the numbers in the past it has been very, very difficult to make up the cost of a vehicle by getting better mileage, unless I got one at a real bargain basement price or could make a good trade.

Is the issue snow depth in the driveway and local street or just snow packed and icy roads generally? Do the neighbors get along ok with front wheel drive or do they all need 4x4 or AWD?

x2 on the difficulty of recovering expense of new vehicle with gas mileage improvement - especially when add in the increase in registration and insurance cost. I commuted 100 miles roundtrip 5days/week for over 2 years and the financial calculation always said to keep driving my paid off and reliable Grand Cherokee at 18mpg than try to switch to a gas friendly commuter car. Would have taken 5 years of the commute to be financially viable to switch cars, as well as I would have lost the SUV benefits.

Also lived many winters at 10,000ft in ski country with front wheel drive and snow tires. Especially with studs, can easily drive past all the SUVs with all season tires. If you have a challenging driveway, that might be slightly different, but maybe find a neighbor to plow it.

Middle ground might be to replace the van for a combination of reasons u list with some sort of AWD 4door (Subaru or SUV or whatever u like with tradeoffs for mileage and an size and 4wd capability) and keep the JK.

jayson44
August 28th, 2014, 09:38 AM
I'm another Subi owner here. having grown up in South Dakota, we've never had a better vehicle in the snow than our Outbacks. on our 2nd one right now (320,000 miles between the two), and we just picked up a set of studded snow tires for this winter. I think that will make it near unstoppable in the snow. the clearance is great, the newer ones have more room in them than ours, and the mileage is pretty good for an AWD wagon. I agree on getting either the 6-cyl or turbo...ours is a base model & the lack of oomph is my only complaint.

I also agree on keeping the Jeep. from an ex-car salesman, you'll get a better deal out of your van if it's paid off. going from a 2 door rubi to a 4 is not going to get you as much as you'd think (unless you go for a 4-door NON-rubi). it's always easier to bargain with a paid-off car than one that has a lean on it. just my opinion.

J.

sunk
August 28th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Im not usually a Ford guy but, I have worked on tons of new Fords over the last couple of years and I can say they are putting out a great product. I would consider a new F-150 eco-boost, with the extended or quad cab.

The StRanger
August 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
The Edge & Flex are awd ..

Jackie
August 28th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Snow tires. Makes a 2wd drive like a 4wd.

Which ones are payed for and which one do you owe on?
We own both free and clear.

Thanks for all the feedback. This will be our first winter up here and the neighbors told us that we have a better chance of getting out of our driveway than most folks in our little circle because we would get a running start down the driveway before heading up a hill to Buffalo Park Road. We also were told that Buffalo Park Road can be like "bob-sledding" as you head toward town.

We have all-season tires on the van which are still in pretty decent shape (maybe it will make it out). We had the basic service done to it which will keep it on the road for a while. New brakes, new ignition switch and a tick-list of other stuff.

Nice to see so many of you suggest an AWD Subi. I have thought about that myself because our old neighbor in Westminster swears by them and won't buy anything else.

If I manage to find a job that isn't a really long commute, I'll keep my Jeep for sure.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Haku
August 28th, 2014, 04:40 PM
If you commute a lot, but not more then 50 miles a day, I'd have a hard time looking past the Chevy Volt. They seem reasonably priced whether you buy or lease one and the people I have talked to say that they rarely fill up the gas tank (one friend filled it up when they got it and haven't had to since) so it seems like it pays off too.

If you really think that you can't live without AWD, Toyota and Ford both have hybrid vehicles to consider. I'm no tree hugger, but it sure seems to make sense to go Hybrid if you have a daily commute.

jayson44
August 28th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Jackie, I forgot to mention that I DD the Jeep from Black Hawk/Rollinsville to Westminster every day. haha...I think next summer I might get a bike to help with gas, but in winter, I love having it.

also, the tires on our subi were pretty worn this last winter and my wife did alright. there were a few instances of her having troubles getting up our driveway with the deep snow, but mostly because the tires were worn. with the studded snows, I know she'll have no issues.

J.

Jackie
August 28th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Haha! There's no way I'd be willing to drive a 50 mile commute each day. My husband travels for a living, and I have to be here for our daughter. I can't afford the risk of getting stuck on I70 with no way to reach my child. Hopefully I'll meet more neighbors who might be able to step in in an emergency, but so far, we don't know anyone. I've worked from home for the past 12 years, so commuting is going to be a challenge in more ways than one.

Also - the biggest problem in car-shopping for us has always been "head-room". Britton is 6'4", so finding a rig that he can actually get into without breaking his head becomes a challenge!

We'll figure it out...

Patrolman
August 28th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I forgot that Britton was tall. If you consider a Subaru, check out a Forester. We have had a few, and the head room in them was significantly more. That is why I opted for one over a Legacy.

As others stated, good studded snow tires will get you further than you might think. I generally run 4 studded snows on each vehicle, even my truck. They perform great on icy roads. Keep in mind that if you buy snow tires, you have to put in the studs at time of purchase. Once they have been driven on, you can't put studs in.

If you are in need of a car for mpg, I am very biased to a Prius. Yes, it is a tree hugger car, but I got 57mpg on my last tank. I only fill up about 1/2 as much as I would in the Forester. Granted, my Prius is an ugly 2005 ex-taxi that I paid $800 for, so it will pay itself off quick, and hopefully continue to save money. It also keeps the miles off my truck or 4Runner.

Jackie
August 28th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Jeff. We'll consider all options. Tonight Britton said we're going to get through this first winter with what we have... Wish us luck if it's a snowy winter!

MEN!

I think they change their mind more often than women change their shoes! I need to get out and buy a couple of small shovels (collapsible) so there is one in each vehicle. I used to have one for the Jeep, but have no idea what happened to it........ (I think it was HIS-doing)! He probably threw it out thinking it was a "toy shovel" for our daughter that she never uses!:lmao:

Jim
August 28th, 2014, 10:41 PM
So, will we be hearing you driving down the road with your studded tires in May, June and July?

edit:

Speaking of shovels: While a nice large "hold a lot of snow" shovel may be nice, I well love my small Army shovel because it can be turned 90-degrees to the handle. Its small width, and the 90 degree capability, make a GREAT shovel to pull snow out from under a stuck vehicle. FWIW.

Like this, without the pick:

http://www.combatreform.org/westgermanshovelpick.jpg

xaza
August 29th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Hey Jackie if I am not mistaken we are a four wheeling group based on location. Doesn't that make us neighbors. You can call anytime and I will find a way to help you out.

Jackie
August 29th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Hopefully I won't need help (much). I grew up in MN and learned how to drive there. But MN is flat. If I got stuck (especially over by the university), I would just crack open the window and dangle a couple bucks out. It got the message across and I always got a tug! The hills here may pose more of a challenge. We'll see!

glacierpaul
August 29th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I think you'll find a lot of "no helpers" in Evergreen Jackie. Get some tire cables for the van as a just in case too. You already have a plow blade, you can easily fab it to work on the Jeep, and not affect wheeling. X2 on the trusty Army shovel, got a couple of those myself that actually saw combat action :) Thanks grandpa's!

Brad
August 29th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I say a 4Runner (no mechanic needed) :lmao:

All cars break.

Backcountryislife
August 30th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I live in Dumont, up a small road (I live off the creek that comes out of bill moore) I work in Breck... driving 100 miles a day.

There has yet to be ONE day that I have not been able to get to & from work because I'm in a 2wd car.

TIRES... that's the whole game, simple as that.

I've got a 04 Jetta, and a 14 Hundai Accent 5 door (and the Heep, and a Cummins that don't get driven to work, Heep is a toy, Cummins is a work machine for carrying sleds & wood)... very happy with both, and I'd despise either in the winter without good tires. I've owned 7 subarus, I'll never own one again, I've done more motor swaps in subies than all my other cars, sleds, bikes, trucks... combined. Good cars, but not what I call reliable in my word (needing to drive at high altitude for many miles a day)

Unless you're up some crazy privately maintained road... I fail to see the need for the added cost & decreased MPG of 4x4.

Jackie
August 30th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks for that, Kaleb. I'm going to let Britton's decision stick. We'll keep both vehicles for the winter and see how it goes. I wouldn't have been so concerned except for the fact that Britton travels for a living and needs reliable transportation to/from the airport on a regular basis so he often takes the Jeep on snowy days. (It would cost a fortune to take cab). I have been working from home for the past 12 years and only needed to worry about making it 1/2 mile to the elementary school and the grocery store during the winter. Worst-case scenario, I could have gotten to her on foot. All plowed roads after you dig out. NO big deal at all.

I'm getting laid off at the end of October and don't have a new job lined up yet. Not sure how far I will have to drive for work and I still have to make sure I can get back home for our daughter at the end of the school day (or extended after-school care).

We'll see how it goes, I guess...:rolleyes: No friends up here yet to ask to be a standby for giving her a ride home... (she will be 10 in November and she is SO smart, that I would feel fairly comfortable giving her a key to the house and letting her be alone for a short while. She is looking forward to it - ME - not-so much!

gm4x4lover
September 1st, 2014, 10:05 AM
You need to get yourself a pair of snow socks.