PDA

View Full Version : The goal amount for the next month: 50 USD, Received: 120 USD (24

Tom
August 29th, 2014, 09:00 PM
WOW Thanks for the generosity.

Brad
August 30th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Yes, thank you!

Jim
August 30th, 2014, 09:18 AM
As donations stay nameless (and will continue to be), I wasn't going to say anything. With this thread, it's reasonable to elaborate some back story.

--

Several months ago, one of our members wished to make one, larger, donation as it would be easier than making multiple, smaller donations. At the time, the donations bar would fill up in HOURS to perhaps two days. That was wonderfully quick! I received notes from two or three folks saying they'd like to donate but that they weren't fast enough before donations would be turned off for the month. As typical for the era, there would be two to four persons that would "fill" the donations bar for the month. I asked the person expressing interest in the larger donation if they would sit tight for a bit while I ran an experiment.

The goal of the experiment was to limit the "fill rate" so that those expressing interest in donating would "have more time". I changed the donation system to allow only smaller amounts. There was a comment or two that the donation amount was reduced, but that was it. The "fill time" for the bar did change. It went to a week+. We would have days go by with no donation coming in. I thought it odd, but it is what it is.

I have not run any analysis of the experiment (and don't anticipate doing so) to see if those that commented on the bar filling too fast were now donating, though my gut feeling is that "the regulars" were the ones making donations to keep the lights on [I give little to no attention to the name on a donation and match up time and amount when "tending the paperwork"]. (nudge: if you've never donated, and find our group to be beneficial to your wheeling life, consider donating $5 a year)

As the experiment had run its course, a month back I changed the amounts in the donation system to allow anything. Recently, that donator wrote a kind PM to bring the topic up again. I responded with a note like this message. Their donation came through in short order. My thanks, and I assume all that appreciate having this web site running to coordinate trail runs, are thankful as well.

I now have to learn something new with our donations system - how do I handle an "excess". It won't be of any concern as I know how to manually tweak the bar to have this excess spill into the next two months. Perhaps the donation system automatically handles this. We'll find out next month.

The prior paragraph has significance to those who wish to donate but that were not able to while the donations bar was up. A donation can be sent at any time. I'll keep a sticky note at hand and can manually enter the donation just after I turn the bar on for the next month.

That's the back story on why we have an excess of $70 sitting on the bar right now. October is covered and $20 flows onto November.

Thanks to all for keeping the lights on and our good group active!

Let's wheel!

Kind Regards,
Jim

Patrolman
August 30th, 2014, 09:39 AM
So maybe I missed something? When the meter is posted, does it go away as soon as the goal is met?

Jim
August 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM
When the meter is posted, does it go away as soon as the goal is met?

No. At my end, it's 100% manual.

I "typically" turn it on near the end of the month and turn it off when it's full (I turned it off just after I made my post, above).

Once it's on, donations start to flow. I am notified via PM of a donation handled by the donation system. That PM also gets to me via eMail. The PayPal receipt, the actual donation, also hits my e-mail. When the PayPal receipt comes through, I visit the donation bar and mark that donation complete. The donation bar is updated with the donation and the person that donated then receives a "Thank You" PM.

I typically process donations when I am at my desktop computer (not from my cell phone). I have a home office with a mix of work from home and offsite. My schedule is in/out of my home office from 8a to 10p. Sometimes things will be processed within 15 minutes, other times it can be hours to the next day (this also applies to folks signing up to be a member of the group).

Patrolman
August 30th, 2014, 12:09 PM
So if I understand right, once the amount is met, no more are accepted for the month? Just curious. :)

Jim
August 30th, 2014, 06:42 PM
No. Once the goal is met more can still come in. The system allows it and, due to the delay in my processing, the bar can show availability when UN-processed donations are waiting for me.

Jackie
August 30th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Thank you to whoever made the huge contribution (and to all who have contributed in the past). I was one of the complainers who didn't like the "limited contribution" setting that had been in place for a while. I also wanted to make a large contribution and then be done with it for a year or so. Jim is all over this issue and I personally appreciate it!

For you new-comers to the forum, your contribution of $5 (or whatever you might be able to afford) is greatly appreciated by all of us. Please open your wallet (just a crack) and donate to keep this forum alive and well! YOU joined this club for a reason. YOU should help to support the club for that reason. It isn't much to ask. Your reward will come back to you in some shape or form!

(I owe Rob a quart of oil for my last outing!) And I owe many members burgers and beers for their expertise in guiding me through obstacles that intimidated me. I love this group! Other members have been towed, picked up in the middle of the night while hundreds of miles away by complete strangers in this club. $5 is nothing in comparison to your potential reward should you need it.

:frontrange4x4:

Jim
August 30th, 2014, 11:37 PM
And I owe many members burgers and beers for their expertise in guiding me through obstacles that intimidated me.

Really? I didn't now spotters were to be paid in burgers and beers. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Other members have been towed, picked up in the middle of the night while hundreds of miles away by complete strangers in this club.

The group that gets together sticks together.

I've been on both sides. While it's nicer to give than need, I warmly accepted the help when I needed it

Jackie
August 31st, 2014, 12:05 AM
:thumb:

Burgers and beers are nothing compared to loss of vehicle/loss of life. (Moab - Poison Spider, TOTW, Fins-n-Things) OMG! I thought I was a goner on Poison Spider! The waterfall was an eye-opener to be sure! Some of it was easy but... when it wasn't - it wasn't.:lmao:

Patrolman
August 31st, 2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info Jim. Sometimes I get busy and don't log in and completely miss the donation bar for the month. I too prefer to donate in a larger amount once a year or so.