PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Rolls on Black Bear Pass this weekend

Tom
September 1st, 2014, 04:34 PM
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/09/01/none-injured-in-rollover-on-mountain-pass/

Chris
September 1st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Pay attention out there! Glad nobody was hurt.

otisdog
September 1st, 2014, 05:52 PM
Very lucky I'd say.
Jim

SubAlpine
September 1st, 2014, 06:48 PM
do not show subalpinesBOSS. I want to do that trail someday.

06HokieTJ
September 1st, 2014, 07:04 PM
It was the Jeep in front of me.

Really nice guy. Don't think that JKUR had 10k miles on it yet.

Went too far left, flopped right, momentum carried him over the edge.

Driver and passenger were the only occupants. Their lives were saved by seat belts (their hats and glasses were ejected).

Buckle up out there boys.

06HokieTJ
September 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM
This was right after the water crossing, before the tightest switch backs. There is a rocky staircase descent that is a bit "blind" as all you see is your hood and not the trail. His left tire walked up too high and flopped him right... Then over. Rolled 3 times.

94ToyBear
September 1st, 2014, 07:09 PM
It was the Jeep in front of me.

Really nice guy. Don't think that JKUR had 10k miles on it yet.

Went too far left, flopped right, momentum carried him over the edge.

Driver and passenger were the only occupants. Their lives were saved by seat belts (their hats and glasses were ejected).

Buckle up out there boys.

You were there when it happend ??

06HokieTJ
September 1st, 2014, 07:12 PM
I was the jeep behind them as we were descending... We stopped at the stairs to give them room, so I didn't see it roll, but I came up on it after it had just settled.

i helped the driver and passenger scramble back up and we helped them haul out their stuff

BuckeyeNative
September 1st, 2014, 07:26 PM
I am glad to hear that nobody was severely injured or worse.

ExplorerTom
September 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM
Wow!

thats crazy you were there.

Chris
September 1st, 2014, 07:48 PM
This was right after the water crossing, before the tightest switch backs. There is a rocky staircase descent that is a bit "blind" as all you see is your hood and not the trail. His left tire walked up too high and flopped him right... Then over. Rolled 3 times.

I know the spot, thanks for clarifying where it was and for helping them out afterwards. Too bad his passenger wasn't helping him by looking out the passenger side. :frown:

06HokieTJ
September 1st, 2014, 09:27 PM
I am glad to hear that nobody was severely injured or worse.

Just some glass cuts and a sore head... But everyone knew who they were and where they were from. The passenger said the windshield frame pressed in and hit his head during the roll.

they were one big rock away from rolling all the way to telluride

The StRanger
September 1st, 2014, 09:44 PM
I tell people, This hobby is a lot of fun and Games, but if you dont have your head on strait, you will get hurt !

06HokieTJ
September 1st, 2014, 09:48 PM
Too bad his passenger wasn't helping him by looking out the passenger side. :frown:

Nothing to see on the passenger side... we weren't gonna day anything on the trail, but no one can figure out how he got that far left. The flop started by the drivers side wheel walking up the rocky side of the trail, tipping to the right. Almost like they were focusing too much on the downhill side.

Brad
September 1st, 2014, 10:50 PM
Saw that on the news. Glad they are ok. Good lookin out Brett! :thumb:

otisdog
September 2nd, 2014, 05:05 AM
It wouldn't have taken them long to get to Telluride.
Jim

Shane
September 2nd, 2014, 07:00 AM
Good to see that there were no serious injuries. I think that would qualify for a pucker factor of 10.

94ToyBear
September 2nd, 2014, 07:28 AM
Nothing to see on the passenger side... we weren't gonna day anything on the trail, but no one can figure out how he got that far left. The flop started by the drivers side wheel walking up the rocky side of the trail, tipping to the right. Almost like they were focusing too much on the downhill side.
Dont that once on left hand. Yeah I said left had ! Lucky there were trees to save me if I whould have gone over. Scary stuff when you have to toss your dog out the door and crawl out the passanger side.

Nothing compared to this !

Chris
September 2nd, 2014, 10:24 AM
Nothing to see on the passenger side... we weren't gonna say anything on the trail, but no one can figure out how he got that far left. The flop started by the drivers side wheel walking up the rocky side of the trail, tipping to the right. Almost like they were focusing too much on the downhill side.

Yeah, I get it but my wife will let me know how much road is on the passenger side if it's tight like that and I'm too close to the wall. Either way, they weren't seriously hurt so that's good.

theluke19
September 2nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Holy crap... Gives me chills just seeing the picture.

Could have been WAY... WAY.. worse...

Haku
September 2nd, 2014, 12:48 PM
Someone on Colorad4x4 was on the trip and some others took pictures of it. Sounds like the guy had a moment of inattention (easy to get distracted with all the scenery) in one of the narrowest sections. His driver side tire climbed up a rock on the inside of the trail and then slid sideways which pushed the outside tire off the edge of the trail and it caused it to roll over. Sounds like it rolled 2 or 3 times before coming to a rest like it is in that picture.

Luckily, both occupants walked away from it with minor injuries. Both were wearing their seatbelts, which likely saved their lives since other stuff was ejected from the Jeep.

Here are some better pictures...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10499621_10100602619333105_2621294941533946667_o.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10679962_10100602619273225_918902287528679357_o.jp g

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10623514_10100602618385005_7346022319029709167_o.j pg

and another member posted a picture from the spot where this supposedly happened from a previous trip...

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r534/zjrockrig/Silverton-Ouray-Telluride%20area/Black%20Bear%20Pass%207-19-14/BlackBear7-19-1460.jpg

Definitely pretty crazy to have happen, and it points out that you need to pay attention to seemingly obvious rules like wearing a seat belt and focusing on driving. These guys are just lucky that they only ruined a brand new jeep with 10k miles on it and didn't get hurt or killed in the process.

theluke19
September 2nd, 2014, 03:19 PM
I have a hard enough time convincing my girlfriend to go on certain trails... these stories make it more difficult lol..

Considering this is one of the premier trails in Colorado, and is also on my 'trail bucket list'... perhaps I won't mention this to her.. :2thumbup:

Patrolman
September 2nd, 2014, 06:06 PM
Were they going up or down the trail? I believe once a year they allow the trail to be run backwards, over Labor Day, so they would have been going uphill?

Brad
September 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM
Those pics really show how close they were to the edge Josh. :eek:

06HokieTJ
September 2nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
Were they going up or down the trail? I believe once a year they allow the trail to be run backwards, over Labor Day, so they would have been going uphill?

Down.

Trail was already slated to be closed tomorrow and Thursday for maintenance (there's a rock on the tightest switchback that makes things scary)... and I'm guessing they're going to to a JKUR recovery while they're at it.

06HokieTJ
September 2nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
Holy crap... Gives me chills just seeing the picture.

Could have been WAY... WAY.. worse...

Way, way, way, way, way.... worse.

We ran into them in Telluride for lunch. Everyone seemed to be doing fine (all things considered).

Crazy, just crazy.

CS79bronco
September 2nd, 2014, 11:10 PM
Did they drive the JK off the mountain? I'm impressed that the roof didn't fold in, doesn't look like it distorted much at all, is there a 'cage in there? And the tires didn't come off the wheels?

06HokieTJ
September 3rd, 2014, 06:04 AM
Nope, it's about 50' below the trail. It's going to take some massive winching efforts to get it back up.

stock jeep, no cage.

it landed on the tires and they seemed to be still holding air.

Funrover
September 3rd, 2014, 08:42 PM
Just plain crazy, glad no one was hurt

Myrtle Turtle
September 3rd, 2014, 09:29 PM
Pictures like this one drive home that that I want a cage behind that windshield sooner rather than later. They are very lucky folks.

Cr33p3r
September 4th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Glad they weren't hurt and jeep looks like it is fixable. I know the Bronco wouldn't work on this trail and I won't even try it!

Haku
September 4th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I'm honestly very surprised that he managed to roll here after seeing this picture...

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn234/exoedxj/jeep2.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it looks narrow where the rock wall is just in front of the FJ, but it looks wide enough with room to spare.

I can see how some would be nervous and desire not to do it after this, but I would say this seems more like an anomaly and a lesson then something to really be scared about on this trail.

Jackie
September 4th, 2014, 04:48 PM
X2 to seat belts! Glad they are OK and the Jeep looks like it might be fixable. If I were driving it, I would have been white-knuckled with wide-eyes on the trail. On the other hand, if I was the passenger and my husband was driving... I would have gotten out and pulled our daughter out with me to walk it! (He has a tendency to be more interested in the views than he is in the road). As a passenger, I can't enjoy the views at all. I have to be the "back-seat-driver" all the time!!! (You guys would hate me for that)!:lmao:

THX1138
September 5th, 2014, 11:21 AM
A jeep is tight on this let alone a freaking Pickup truck. Then again, I am not a fan of super exposed shelf roads like this.

Jim
September 5th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I'm honestly very surprised that he managed to roll here after seeing this picture...

Did the roll start on a switchback above the section with the Blue Toyota?

Seeing the above pic, and the coments prior - I'd think a one or two vehicle winch-out would have been my desire - and then drive it off of the trail & home (knocking out windshield glass first).

Hypoid
September 5th, 2014, 04:51 PM
I'm honestly very surprised that he managed to roll here after seeing this picture...Maybe he dropped the joint and it fell between his legs.

Too soon???

Beef Jerky
September 5th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Well, first things first, I am happy they walked away unhurt.

I have never been there before so, it seems misleading but, the direction the FJ and the Dodge in the previous pic is headed down? Looking at the pics, it looks like headed down would be the opposite direction.

Also, it looks like the section to the left of the drivers side where it landed is more loose rocks and gravel and in the pic with the FJ it appears that this spot is prone to rock slides, almost as if they slid off 10 feet earlier, nothing would've stopped them. Is this true?

I still want to run it but, definitely with other experienced drivers who have run it before.

TTBGuy
September 5th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Pictures never do it justice but it looks like there is a fair bit of room there, he must have been staring down the hill rather than in front of his Jeep and did a major oops.

Like said though, pictures always make everything look easier.

Goofy
September 5th, 2014, 08:06 PM
im vary glad they are ok but this is one of the main reasons why I will not do black bear

06HokieTJ
September 8th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Did the roll start on a switchback above the section with the Blue Toyota? NO. Roll started just to the left of the picture, coming down the rocky part in the lower left corner. It started with a flop on the trail and momentum carried him over. The passenger side glass was busted out during the flop and was visible on the right side of the trail. You can see the mark in the dirt (circled) where it slid off the edge.

06HokieTJ
September 8th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I still want to run it but, definitely with other experienced drivers who have run it before. I guided a stock JKU down it, just fine. This was my 4th time down it, 3rd time driving. The scariest part was one of the later switchbacks, as a rock has worked its way out and pushes you way further right than you want to be.
The NFS actually closed the trail 9/3-9/4 to clear this section, as the consequences for a mistake were even higher.

Fatboris
September 8th, 2014, 12:00 PM
A jeep is tight on this let alone a freaking Pickup truck. Then again, I am not a fan of super exposed shelf roads like this.

x2....shelf roads freak me out. You and I just had that conversation a few weeks ago. When I did Eldo Mtn with my buddy a few weeks ago he kept giving me a hard time for hugging the wall so tight, my wife just asked if I thought that I'd get color back in my knuckles when the blood started flowing again.

This reminds me of a good friend in high school. His cousin died when he rolled his Camaro. No seat belt, t-tops were off, he came half way out and then was crushed. There are a thousand things out there that'll try and kill you everyday, anything you can do to whittle that number down is a no brainer.

THX1138
September 8th, 2014, 02:07 PM
"This reminds me of a good friend in high school. His cousin died when he rolled his Camaro. No seat belt, t-tops were off, he came half way out and then was crushed."

I know of an exact accident that happened like that back in the 80s. It would be pretty crazy if we are talking about the same person.

Fatboris
September 8th, 2014, 02:50 PM
"This reminds me of a good friend in high school. His cousin died when he rolled his Camaro. No seat belt, t-tops were off, he came half way out and then was crushed."

I know of an exact accident that happened like that back in the 80s. It would be pretty crazy if we are talking about the same person.

Stoltz? in Chicago

THX1138
September 8th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Stoltz? in Chicago No this happened in PA.

FINOCJ
September 13th, 2014, 09:41 PM
stole this from a jeep forum that has also been following this incident:
for you CW McCall fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzWyZ-jM9Is

Fatboris
September 14th, 2014, 04:33 AM

POW! Right in the childhood!
Soundtrack of my childhood right there...Dad loved CW McCall.

Shadowmaker
September 14th, 2014, 08:43 AM

Love this!

fredrok
September 14th, 2014, 09:04 AM
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/fredrok_photos/IMG_20140914_085130_861.jpg

7 when I bough this LP. Apparently I didn't have a hope in hell of staying away from this Jeep/wheeling thing! I eventually knew every word to every song and didn't know what half of it meant! Great stuff, Mr. Fries, AND the ex-mayor of Ouray. "True story" as a not-so-wise man always says.

Back to the OP, glad they're ok but I just can't imagine how you could get THAT distracted enough in such a benign spot to flop. Past the fact that they're ok, it sucks for the owner that no doubt his insurance told him he's on his own.

Chris
September 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
no doubt his insurance told him he's on his own

Rolling a truck on a FS road should be covered.

newracer
September 23rd, 2014, 08:56 PM
Video from inside the cab.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5l0y8jfofj6dhn/Jeep%20Flip.wmv?dl=0

Jackie
September 23rd, 2014, 09:23 PM
OMG :eek:

Jim
September 23rd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Error (509) This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

If anyone has a copy...

(doesn't seem to be on youtube)

newracer
September 23rd, 2014, 10:04 PM
I should have downloaded it when I had the chance. Maybe later tonight the traffic won't be too much.

newracer
September 23rd, 2014, 10:53 PM
Now on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEtOhROyQuc&feature=youtu.be

Haku
September 23rd, 2014, 11:39 PM
Wow.... that was scary, but not as bad as imagined (I was picturing at least three full rolls with that much damage and higher speed). Its definitely not something I want to go through though, and that could have turned out so much worse in so many ways.

06HokieTJ
September 24th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Well. That explains that. I know it's scenic, but you got to remember to look at the trail every now and then...

Jim
September 24th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I know it's scenic, but you got to remember to look at the trail every now and then...

I wonder if the guy was concerned about being too close to the edge and decided to hug the high side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEtOhROyQuc

Brad
September 24th, 2014, 10:41 AM
That looked like he was trying to drive off trail.

Java
September 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM
That looked like he was trying to drive off trail.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

newracer
September 24th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I wonder if the guy was concerned about being too close to the edge and decided to hug the high side.
I think you are correct, then add the fact that he wasn't paying close attention.

94ToyBear
September 24th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I don't think I will run this trail lol

newracer
September 24th, 2014, 01:07 PM
The trail really isn't hard but you must pay close attention when you are moving because it is very narrow. When I ran it I stopped several times to take in the scenery. While moving I only looked at the road and was constantly asking my wife how close I was to the downside edge.

Jackie
September 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I'm a "wall-hugger" on ledges too, but you can clearly see he hugged too tight to the wall. None-the-less, that kind of shelf road is not for me. My eyes would be glued to the trail and I wouldn't even notice the beauty of the scenery. Fear doesn't make for a great day in my book.