PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Pass/McClelland 9-6-14

xaza
September 7th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Finished up my neighbors water pump yesterday morning and decided that the family needed some time in the hills. We loaded up and headed to run Argentine Pass. We hit the trail about 1 and headed in. We took the high road in through Waldorf mine and up Argentine. We had a Grand Cherokee that was up there by themselves and decided to join us to Santiago Mine and after that they headed back down while we continued to McClellandin a light flurry mix. The views were awesome. We had low flying clouds so we were right in them. From the top of the overlook at McClelland could just make out a vehicle at the bottom, will have to contact Forest Service and make sure they know. Not sure what kind of access is at the bottom but recovery from top would be a very long ways. We headed back down using 1428.1k to connect to the low road and exit. We were about to air up when an Expedition pulled up and a gentleman asked for some directions to try to help a stranded friend who had slipped off the edge out exploring alone with his daughter. Well you know we weren't going to just give directions, so at 8 o'clock we headed back in with a GPS coordinated and vague description of where. He was on the East side of the creek so there isn't a lot of trail. We spent 4 hours wandering until every trail on the East side was covered except a tight switchback section at the very end that used to go through. We didn't see any tire marks at the 3 point switchback the first time so we didn't head down to have to turn 3 trucks around in a tight dead end but after every other trail was exhausted we knew it had to be the one. We found them and had them on the trail about 30 minutes later. Back across the creek and down and out. We aired up and topped some fuel before getting home around 4:30. It was a great day of wheeling and we got to help somebody out.

xaza
September 7th, 2014, 08:50 AM
some more pics. This puts me about halfway through and almost to Santiago Mine, will have to get rest up later because there is no rest for the wicked :D

xaza
September 7th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Back home for a few before we go pick up a new project so here are a few more pics :D
These are the exterior of Santiago Mine Area and one pretty neat sign on the inside.

CS79bronco
September 7th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Such a great area for history. Great pics. And a great example of the true 4-wheelin' spirit. Leave no stranded 'wheeler behind. Well done!

xaza
September 7th, 2014, 01:20 PM
It had been a very long time since we had wandered all the way to Santiago Mine and it was refreshing to see it being restored. Too much history is disappearing in the world today. This next set of pictures is all inside the large building, not sure what it would be called.

xaza
September 7th, 2014, 01:44 PM
As we were heading toward McClelland the weather had started to turn pretty chilly and some incredible clouds rolled in to give us some pretty awesome views.

xaza
September 7th, 2014, 01:56 PM
On our way back down on the low road we saw 3 moose. They were right near the big stone chimney near the last water crossing as you are coming in. We crossed this water crossing just to cross the water and turned around and back through on our way down, but across there is where the Land Cruiser was stuck so we did it twice. Truly a great day. Thanks all for reading!

Fireball
September 8th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Great report. Nice work on the rescue.

Cr33p3r
September 9th, 2014, 04:02 AM
On post #6 the second to last post isn't that the vehicle that rolled a few years back?

Jim
September 9th, 2014, 09:17 AM
On post #6 the second to last post isn't that the vehicle that rolled a few years back?

I believe this is the pic in question. I too wonder what it is.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38328&stc=1&d=1410118988

tmleadr03
September 9th, 2014, 01:44 PM
On our way back down on the low road we saw 3 moose. They were right near the big stone chimney near the last water crossing as you are coming in. We crossed this water crossing just to cross the water and turned around and back through on our way down, but across there is where the Land Cruiser was stuck so we did it twice. Truly a great day. Thanks all for reading!

And let me say thank you again for coming to get me.

What he didn't mention is that from the time when he met Rob who was on his way to find me to when they found me was close to 5 hours. That is quite a bit of dedication over someone you have never met. Not to mention it was another hour before I was turned around. And another hour and a half before we made the main trailhead. And I don't know what time they made it to bed after a day of wheeling but I wasn't knocked out in my bed till 5. AM...

So thank you all again! Seriously, you guys need anything let me know and if I can help I will be there.

The StRanger
September 9th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Thats why we are who we are !!

TTBGuy
September 9th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I like this place already. Love the FJ80. I had an FJ60 a while back that was a great vehicle. Hope to see you on the hill some time. A couple of us are running Red Cone on Sunday the 14th of September if you'd like to meet up. We'll be at the Loaf n Jug in Bailey at 9 am, hoping to be out by 9:30 ish and on the way.

I'd also like to get up to the place where all these pictures were taken, that's one trail I've never ran. Who's going to start planning a trip up there? :D

tmleadr03
September 9th, 2014, 07:46 PM
I like this place already. Love the FJ80. I had an FJ60 a while back that was a great vehicle. Hope to see you on the hill some time. A couple of us are running Red Cone on Sunday the 14th of September if you'd like to meet up. We'll be at the Loaf n Jug in Bailey at 9 am, hoping to be out by 9:30 ish and on the way.

I'd also like to get up to the place where all these pictures were taken, that's one trail I've never ran. Who's going to start planning a trip up there? :D

I already promised myself that I am not hitting the dirt till my vehicle can recover itself completely by itself. So it wont be this weekend. Winch wont be here till next week sometime. And I am looking at some lights too.

xaza
September 9th, 2014, 08:50 PM
We only did what was right. Can't leave someone stuck in the hills and definitely not with a 6 yr old in tow. Glad to see you made it to the group, I think you will like it here.

Tom
September 9th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I'd also like to get up to the place where all these pictures were taken, that's one trail I've never ran. Who's going to start planning a trip up there? :DI planned a club run up there once already this season. May plan another during peak color. It's even more gorgeous then.

FINOCJ
September 9th, 2014, 10:52 PM
A similar area with good fall color but without the mine history could be Twin Cone near Kenosha Pass. Kind of interested in that one this fall...

Java
September 10th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Cliff, you and Wiley are awesome, that's such a nice thing you did. :thumb: Enjoy the karma. :) Fantastic pics too!!

theluke19
September 10th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Great pictures, and good work on the recovery-

Great work, Cliff and Wiley!

Chris
September 10th, 2014, 06:25 PM
And let me say thank you again for coming to get me.

What he didn't mention is that from the time when he met Rob who was on his way to find me to when they found me was close to 5 hours. That is quite a bit of dedication over someone you have never met. Not to mention it was another hour before I was turned around. And another hour and a half before we made the main trailhead. And I don't know what time they made it to bed after a day of wheeling but I wasn't knocked out in my bed till 5. AM...

So thank you all again! Seriously, you guys need anything let me know and if I can help I will be there.

Nice to hear, good job and thanks to all that helped Chris.

Chris
September 10th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I believe this is the pic in question. I too wonder what it is.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38328&stc=1&d=1410118988

Looks like the Durango that's been there for years. Not as "whole" as it used to be.

Bmartin7247
March 9th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Hey buddy I haven't been on in a while, looking to do a run soon!