PDA

View Full Version : Medano Pass & Hermit Pass

Chris
September 26th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Barb and I spent 5 days based in Canon City with our trailer. We ran Medano Pass from Westcliffe to the Great Sand Dunes which was a very nice day. I had the impression that it was more difficult than it is but it's very easy and scenic. Never needed low gear but the trail was quiet and a great day. Any day ending at the Dunes is a great day. We goofed off at the Royal Gorge since it just reopened and was nearly empty of people, despite the signs saying differently we "did believe our eyes" and weren't real impressed. Impressive was Hermit Pass which was great, very bumpy but great and tops out over 12K with fantastic views of the Sangre de Cristo's in every direction. Fall color was definitely at its peak which didn't hurt either.

Photos after I unload the camera.

Yeah, I know
:pics:

Patrolman
September 26th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Medano is a very scenic pass with great access to the dunes. I like that. Like you said, not difficult, except for 1 stretch of sand near the dunes. Your rig should have the hp to just muscle right through it.

I have never heard of Hermit pass. I will have to look it up. I look forward to some pics!

BLOODBANE
September 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Dang, I wish I had known this earlier. I live in Canon, and have always wanted to run Medano. My wife works at a place up by the Gorge (WhiteWater Bar and Grill, she does all the prep work). If you ever do this again, let me know.

Chris
September 26th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Medano is a very scenic pass with great access to the dunes. I like that. Like you said, not difficult, except for 1 stretch of sand near the dunes. Your rig should have the hp to just muscle right through it.

I have never heard of Hermit pass. I will have to look it up. I look forward to some pics!

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=113

Pics will have to wait until I find my camera cable, probably somewhere in my very dust-filled truck. :frown:

Dang, I wish I had known this earlier. I live in Canon, and have always wanted to run Medano. My wife works at a place up by the Gorge (WhiteWater Bar and Grill, she does all the prep work). If you ever do this again, let me know.

I will Mark, sorry I didn't know you lived there!

Tom
September 26th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I thought Medano easy as well. So easy in fact I let my son drive. His first time driving a 4x4.

Chris
September 27th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Medano Pics

Chris
September 27th, 2014, 05:55 PM
A Few More

Chris
September 27th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Hermit Pass Pics

Chris
September 27th, 2014, 06:13 PM
More...

Chris
September 27th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Last...

Chris
September 27th, 2014, 06:19 PM
One thing that happened was unusual for us as we like to see wildlife and did on this trail. Sure, it was a common rabbit on the side of the road which is not unusual. As we got about 10 feet away a hawk swooped down and killed it taking about 5 seconds to do so before flying to a nearby tree. We left it to eat dinner.

Barb's comment: "Wow, that was cool and disturbing to see!"

Patrolman
September 27th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Cool pics Chris. Thanks! Anytime you want to see more rabbit dinner, there is plenty at our place.

Chris
September 27th, 2014, 07:10 PM
We just have coyotes snacking on them here. Seeing hawk take one down was new for us!

Patrolman
September 27th, 2014, 07:55 PM
No coyotes here. The most interesting thing to see once was the hawk that had something (probably rabbit) and the crows trying to steal it in mid flight. The crows almost became the main course. Not the first time the crows have challenged the hawk, but first time in flight.

javaman34
September 27th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Very cool pics. I may have to plan a trip out once the Bronco is back up and ready for the trails.

CS79bronco
September 27th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Wassup with the Bronco? I would like to make those trails too.

javaman34
September 27th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Still questioning the transmission. Seems to be working properly now, but it is going to be put into that garage soon for some body work, paint, etc..., I hope.

BLOODBANE
September 28th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Make sure and let me know. I have yet to run this trail, and live fairly close to it.

CS79bronco
September 28th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Will do Mark. Can I run those passes with a stock '00 f150 or Bronco. The F150 probably has better ground clearance and more aggressive tires. Done Saxon 3 times with the 150, don't know how they compare. Hopefully next year I'll have the '79 Bronco trail ready with at least 35s. Then I can drag Jerry over the obstacles. (without his Bronco) lol

Jackie
September 29th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Chris - the views and the colors made the whole thing "painful"! I SOOOooo want to do that next year! Glad you and Barb had a good time.

Chris
September 29th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Can I run those passes with a stock '00 f150 or Bronco.

Yes Charles, Medano is very easy and Hermit doesn't have any obstacles that would give you trouble. As I said it's bumpy but not hard, one of those trails where airing down is for comfort rather than necessity.

ExplorerTom
September 29th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Could you tell where the "slide" happened this spring that closed the trail for awhile?

Chris
September 29th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Nope, I saw no evidence of any slide having happened, no repaired area or anything along that line. I recall it happening a few years ago and not last year which may explain why it's not apparent.

Chris
September 29th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Just looked it up, 2011 - http://www.desertusa.com/dusablog/medano-pass-primitive-road-and-sand-ramp-trail-closures-at-great-sand-dunes-np-co.html

ExplorerTom
September 29th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I had a trip planned to go over that the first week of June this year and it was closed from a slide. I even called the Forest Ranger's office and they confirmed.

Eh, whatever.

Chris
September 29th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I suspect the fire has long lasting erosion issues and that was a smaller one than the one I linked which was what I ran in to last time I tried it.

newracer
September 29th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I have been wanting to run Medano in the spring for a long time. I have heard some of the water crossings can be deep.

Chris
September 29th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I would think so Michael, not so this late in the season but there we a number of shallow ones. I'll have to check it out in the Spring, could be fun.