PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual Turkey Run 11/22/2014 9:00AM for Denver Rescue Mission

Patrolman
November 2nd, 2014, 02:41 PM
I am proud to say that this would be the 7th year that we are conducting this run! This has been a great opportunity to get together in the past, without truly doing a "run", and I am sure this year will be great! It is a great social event, and a good way to give back to the community.

The date is set for Saturday November 22nd at 9:00AM. We will meet at the Conoco on Auraria Parkway, which is at the South edge of the Pepsi Center parking lot.

If you get off on Auraria from I-25, make your first left. If you are coming in from I-25 via Speer, you will have to head West just a bit on Auraria and the Conoco is on the right. It is literally on the edge of the Pepsi Center parking lot. Address is 1500 7th Street in Denver, CO 80204.

Current prices for turkeys, which isn't likely to change, are $.69 per pound (Kroger house brand) at King Soopers. That totals $14.00 for a 20 pound turkey, which is on the average to large size. You could easily get a smaller one for less. Safeway only seems to have Honeysuckle brand at this time for $1.49 a pound. Safeway will likely release their deals this week. I don't have any other ads at this time, so if anyone has Albersons or Walmart, please feel free to post.

What does the shelter do with all the turkeys you ask? They need 15,000 birds to feed homeless who come into the shelter, distribute to other smaller shelters (DRM is the biggest shelter in Denver) which may run low on birds, distribute to low income families, etc. Basically, they make sure that everybody who needs a meal at Thanksgiving gets one, regardless of their situation.

The shelter also needs other items including but not limited to canned goods, dry food goods, clothes, coats, blankets, hats, gloves, sleeping bags, personal hygiene items, etc. My understanding is that they accept nearly anything except appliances.

Here is the address/site info for the Denver Rescue Mission. You can map in advance, or if you can't make the run or give stuff to someone else, drop off at your convenience. You can also donate online.
https://www.denverrescuemission.org/Turkey

At this time, if people are agreeable, we will plan a breakfast afterwards. Post if you plan to attend for the donations and/or the breakfast. In the past we have eaten at the Denver Diner, but since there was a major fire there a couple weeks ago, we will need to find an alternative place if we plan to eat. I am open to suggestions.

I will have my daughter who is almost 4 years old with me. We can stick around for about an hour or two for breakfast, but might have to take off a bit early.

javaman34
November 2nd, 2014, 05:35 PM
I'm planning on going. Had a blast last year meeting a bunch of folks.

Myrtle Turtle
November 2nd, 2014, 11:26 PM
We are in for Turkeys and breakfast.

I can also be a drop off point for folks who can't make the run. We are near Broncos Parkway & Jordan in Englewood.

GaryG
November 3rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Count me in for sure. We could try Sams #3 for breakfast, 15th and Curtis

Patrolman
November 3rd, 2014, 05:55 PM
How do I add a yes/no/maybe to this thread? Thanks!

Jackie
November 3rd, 2014, 07:42 PM
I think you need to post it on the calendar. (For me, I see the link for "calendar " in the navigation just to the right of FAQs). From there it looks pretty simple.

Patrolman
November 3rd, 2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks Jackie. It is now on the calendar. I am apparently tech challenged.

Brad
November 4th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I will be there and for after. Will gather up as much food as possible. :thumb:

parothd
November 5th, 2014, 06:15 AM
I'm in as well! See you there!

Patrolman
November 5th, 2014, 08:37 PM
The ads starting today show King Sooper and Safeway both have turkeys for $.69 a pound. That is likely to be the going rate through the holiday. I haven't seen any other ads including Albertsons or Walmart. Anyone have them?

Jackie
November 5th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I read on the Denver Mission web site that they prefer 12 lb. or larger birds. I made a donation directly to the Mission online since I can't make the run this year. Their process is simple and with the discounts that they can get by buying in bulk is way greater than any of us could get buying it ourselves. For those of you (like me) that want to contribute but can't make it, this might be a good option to consider.:thumb:

Patrolman
November 6th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Unsure you can find a turkey under 12lb, but that is good to know Jackie. Thanks for the info! Also, as Jackie stated, the Rescue Mission will gladly take cash donations as well. They can buy food by the pallet load and get better prices than any of us could. The exception to that is turkeys, which is why they need them most.

Patrolman
November 12th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Just for those interested, due to the cold weather today, it appears the Denver Rescue Mission is hosting 475 people tonight, this was posted on the Channel 7 site:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/denver-metro-residents-brace-for-another-record-cold-night11122014

Denver metro shelters filling up --

Denver Human Services, including Denver's Road Home, are reporting high numbers in area shelters, with more than 1,388 people seeking assistance.

Denver Rescue Mission Lawrence Street Shelter: 315 people
Salvation Army Crossroads Shelter: 363 people
Denver Rescue Mission Admin Bldg (Emergency Overflow 1): 160 people
MLK Rec Center (Emergency Overflow 2): 107 people
Catholic Charities Samaritan House overflow: 94 people
Father Woody's: 23 people
Volunteers of America (Women's Shelter): 60 people (plus 27 motel vouchers)
Women's Emergency Shelter: 63 people onsite (plus 5 vouchers)
Delores Project: 68 people
Red Shield: 60 people
Women's Homeless Initiative: 25 people
Urban Peak (Youth Shelter): 50 people

Denver DHS said its most critical need is opening up more places to shelter women. The agency said it is working with its community partners across the city to identify additional spaces to shelter women and are making every effort possible to bring all those who need shelter inside.

The Salvation Army says it is partnering with Denver County Animal Control Department to ensure safe lodging for homeless pets and their owners.

The organization's "Search and Rescue" vehicle has been on continuous patrol for the last two days offering blankets, hats and gloves and encouraging homeless men and their pets to seek shelter at its Crossroads Shelter at 1901 29th Street.

The team at Crossroads is working on designating an animal friendly section. Pet bedding, crates and food will be provided by Denver Animal Control.

Myrtle Turtle
November 19th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Any firm plan for breakfast yet? We will have to leave in time for taking the older brat to a football game....Grandview made the 5A semi-finals!

I have 3 turkeys in my garage freezer and will pick one more up on Friday when I shop. That King Soopers $.69/lb price is only good on the first turkey per trip, so I've been buying one each week with my regular shopping day.

Patrolman
November 19th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I have been doing the same thing. I get one every time I stop by the store. You can visit the store more than once, or visit multiple stores.

No plans on breakfast yet. We had this suggestion, but I am open to other ideas:

"We could try Sams #3 for breakfast, 15th and Curtis"

Brad
November 21st, 2014, 05:14 AM
Looks like I am only going to make the run and not the breakfast after. Jenn is out of town (funeral) and we have a sick dog.

carpenle
November 21st, 2014, 09:39 AM
I am planning on making the run, not sure about breakfast. Have a friend that might also meet us.

Myrtle Turtle
November 21st, 2014, 04:44 PM
Checked the Rescue Mission site today on my way to the store, this is their list of immediate and general needs beyond the turkeys.

Denver Rescue Mission accepts donations of all kinds, including:

Food
Clothing
Shoes
Blankets
Hygiene items
Furniture
Household items

Current Greatest NeedsDonate items online via our Amazon Giving Page (http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&id=C0IJNI6X9GH6&type=wishlist).
Lawrence Street ShelterEggs, breakfast meats, ground beef, syrup, oatmeal, grits, fresh produce, and forks.

Patrolman
November 21st, 2014, 06:09 PM
I will be at the Conoco at Pepsi Center at 9AM. I may not be able to stay for breakfast as our little one has a fever tonight. Will have to see how the morning pans out.

If anyone gets lost or knows they will be late, give me a ring, no txt. 72o-tutu4-6397

Patrolman
November 21st, 2014, 06:16 PM
Checked the Rescue Mission site today on my way to the store, this is their list of immediate and general needs beyond the turkeys.

Denver Rescue Mission accepts donations of all kinds, including:

Food
Clothing
Shoes
Blankets
Hygiene items
Furniture
Household items

Current Greatest NeedsDonate items online via our Amazon Giving Page (http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&id=C0IJNI6X9GH6&type=wishlist).
Lawrence Street ShelterEggs, breakfast meats, ground beef, syrup, oatmeal, grits, fresh produce, and forks.

Great time to clean out the pantry of anything you won't use or that is approaching a Use By Date!

MultiScuf
November 21st, 2014, 08:39 PM
I will be there at 9am :D

Brad
November 22nd, 2014, 08:03 AM
Unfortunately I am out. Our sick dog Roxie has been going through glucose spikes (diabetic) which I feel I have got under control however cannot leave her here by herself. Jenn gets back tomorrow and we will run our food down to the mission.

88Toy
November 22nd, 2014, 12:14 PM
That was fun, good to meet everyone! I'm proud to be a part of such a generous group and on behalf of a bunch of Thanksgiving diners, a hearty Thanks! Les

94ToyBear
November 22nd, 2014, 12:19 PM
Les it was good to see you! Your rig is so dang clean i cant wait to see it on the trails.

That was fun, good to meet everyone! I'm proud to be a part of such a generous group and on behalf of a bunch of Thanksgiving diners, a hearty Thanks! Les

Patrolman
November 22nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
I would like to personally thank everyone that turned out! It was fantastic. I believe there were 12 rigs with turkeys and more! Sorry that I was unable to stay for breakfast, but I hope everyone had a good time, and it was good to see everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to all and thanks again for the huge success!

javaman34
November 22nd, 2014, 01:01 PM
Had a great time. Nice to see new faces and see some familiar ones.

MultiScuf
November 22nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
Great meeting new faces and seeing some other XJs makes think I might just go LA instead of 6in. But anyway Thanks all.

Jim
November 22nd, 2014, 10:46 PM
I found out that Javaman has POWER WINDOWS in his `86 Bronco. And they WORK!

`twas a good day with folks. Brunch was FILLING and tasted great. I'd vote for a spot with better parking and a greater chance of sitting as one group.

Jackie
November 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks to everyone who was able to make it and/or contribute to a good cause. This group is the best!

javaman34
November 23rd, 2014, 08:07 AM
I found out that Javaman has POWER WINDOWS in his `86 Bronco. And they WORK!

`twas a good day with folks. Brunch was FILLING and tasted great. I'd vote for a spot with better parking and a greater chance of sitting as one group.

Ive never seen anyone so amazed over power windows :lmao:. It even has Cruise Control that still works. Everything on it works with the exception of the A/C.

Jim
November 24th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Power Winder's - that's right - it's a rugged trail vehicle. Refinements of power windows - this does not compute.

As for the Denver Rescue Mission - I heard on the AM today that they have met their goal of 15K birds. They said that the majority came in via donations of 1 & 2 turkeys.

carpenle
November 25th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Great meeting everybody!

otisdog
November 26th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Nice to be a part of making it happen.
Jim