PDA

View Full Version : co workers....blahhhh

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Well I hate to put this on the forum but I need some guidance with my co workers.
First of ill say...I Absolutely love my job. And if anything I really dont call it a job because I do what I love I just happend to get paid for it !

My co workers on the other hand...well they love it to BUT all they do is complain and complain AND Complain
It seems like no matter what happends they find something to complain about.

They make what love to do and I get paid for a miserable place to be.

A sneek peak as to what im ranting about.

For the past 12 weeks I have taught 75 new to automotive students.
The other instructor has 3 returning in the morning and 6 returning in the p.m. class.

This week we FINALLY broke our groups up in half...half go to him for engine rebuilding other half stay with me for drivetrain.

Well the other instructor did not like having and PITA students in the same g
roup soooo we broke them up to help.
What gets me going is....I have had all the PITA students plus 60 new students. ..this being my 3 year teaching and this being his 20th year Just drive me aabsolutely insane that he can handle that situation when I have been doing it as a new teacher....

Thats just one of soooooo much more that I just cant wrap my mind around..
I pretty much want to quite.

What can I do to make my situation better. ....

Sorry for any typos im doing this from my phone and is pretty difficult do do with a craked screen and dyslexia to lol:blah:

Patrolman
November 8th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Here is one way to look at it. After 20 years, I am sure he isn't disgruntled with the job, or the work. He is probably just looking forward to retirement, and ready for a change of pace. Regardless of what the reason may be, just make sure that you keep your sights set high and your attitude positive! It will do wonders for yourself and your career!

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Oh I have been but his desk is right next to mine.
Iv been high I life for about 10 months now.
Been as the the happiest I have ever been.
I jave a great job, a beautiful wife, a great 2.5 year old son
And my bills are all paid..
I cant stand hearing anymore compplaining from the both of them.
Its like im allways hiding from them....and that stinks !
On the flip side iv been working on my 4x4 stuff as an excuse to stay away from them.
And its really work out to my crawler lol.
But still is no solution to my issues with them

Jackie
November 8th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Adam - I'm not a teacher, but maybe it's time to give an "attitude-adjustment" assignment to your PITA students. Let them know they can accomplish MUCH more with a good attitude, positive thoughts and hard, honest work. Maybe you could give them an assignment that involves putting their thoughts down on paper (that doesn't even necessarily involve mechanics).... and just let them talk. And then you need to respond... As a teacher, it might give you a better understanding of where each student is coming from. It could be that some of these kids haven't chosen the right path. Or maybe they have, but are going about it the wrong way. As for your co-worker... Sounds like he's already "been to that rodeo" and is looking forward to retirement! You can't let him stop you from doing what you love to do.:thumb:

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Sadly the PITA students are really not that bad ! You just have to learn who they are...I had issues with them at first but they do really well with me. They are actually pretty smart guys...they want to do good they just need a teacher thats willing to understand that.

The student's are what make the job worth it all even the PITA ones.

Lol so unfortunately im getting this you screwed vibe so far lol... hes still got 10 more years to retire !!
I can not be around that for 10 years... I have to figure out a solution.

xaza
November 9th, 2014, 05:12 AM
This reminds me of my moms favorite poem. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Seems to me the other teachers attitude is something you can not change directly. Utilize the fact that this teacher is making you better because he is giving you a little extra obstacle to overcome. Don't let one poor teacher turn into 2. When the other teacher complains I would politely make light of his concerns and gently lead him to discover his own inadequacies leading to his lack of happiness. If you walk in with a positive attitude and hold strong it will rub off on those around you, it just takes longer than a bad attitude to rub off.

tmleadr03
November 9th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Out of curiosity and totally off topic, is this LTI? I ask because it would be nice to have a point of contact there since I plan to hire an aprentice tech after the first of the year.

Java
November 9th, 2014, 08:38 AM
sounds like the guy with 20 years on the job has figured out how to get the new guy to take all the bad work... :)

Hypoid
November 9th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Don't let one poor teacher turn into 2. When the other teacher complains I would politely make light of his concerns and gently lead him to discover his own inadequacies leading to his lack of happiness. If you walk in with a positive attitude and hold strong it will rub off on those around you, it just takes longer than a bad attitude to rub off.Well put Cliff! Sometimes it takes negative circumstances to mold yourself into a more positive person.

Chris
November 9th, 2014, 11:59 AM
My co workers on the other hand...well they love it to BUT all they do is complain and complain AND Complain
It seems like no matter what happends they find something to complain about.

Since you're not a total rookie why not just be direct with the co-workers and say: "I really like it here so please don't involve me in your complaining."

94ToyBear
November 9th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks....thats great ! I think I needed this one ! Thanks to yoy and your mom :-)

This reminds me of my moms favorite poem. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Seems to me the other teachers attitude is something you can not change directly. Utilize the fact that this teacher is making you better because he is giving you a little extra obstacle to overcome. Don't let one poor teacher turn into 2. When the other teacher complains I would politely make light of his concerns and gently lead him to discover his own inadequacies leading to his lack of happiness. If you walk in with a positive attitude and hold strong it will rub off on those around you, it just takes longer than a bad attitude to rub off.

94ToyBear
November 9th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Out of curiosity and totally off topic, is this LTI? I ask because it would be nice to have a point of contact there since I plan to hire an aprentice tech after the first of the year.

Nope, noteven sure what LTI is. Whats is it ?

94ToyBear
November 9th, 2014, 01:08 PM
sounds like the guy with 20 years on the job has figured out how to get the new guy to take all the bad work... :)

Thats for sure...but its no different from when the retried instructor was here. Its in away better if he has no part in t he first 12 weeks.
Its one reason the other instructor retired sooner then he wanted

94ToyBear
November 9th, 2014, 01:11 PM
For some reason when ever i bring stuff up like this it ALLWAYS starts more problems. I know I need to do this but its not allwyays directly to me. They complain to anyone and everyone and most times im right there.
I do my best to move away from it.. but thats not solving nothing.

Since you're not a total rookie why not just be direct with the co-workers and say: "I really like it here so please don't involve me in your complaining."

tmleadr03
November 11th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Nope, noteven sure what LTI is. Whats is it ?

Lincoln Technical Institute.

94ToyBear
November 12th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Gotcha, nope other then having recruiter come in once a year.
I teach High school only.

Lincoln Technical Institute.

EKXJ87
November 12th, 2014, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=xaza;275764] his lack of happiness.
I struggle with people like this. IMO work is something we all need to do and if "they" are unhappy with work they are most likely "lacking in self happiness" and choose to complain rather than doing something about it. Work gives us the opportunity to provide for yourself,family, hobbies or whatever brings you joy.
Some people just dont get it, life is short dont be a Richard.

You have the right attitude bills paid Family = your happiness. keep on that path!

tmleadr03
November 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Gotcha, nope other then having recruiter come in once a year.
I teach High school only.

I didn't think shop was even taught in highschool anymore.

94ToyBear
November 12th, 2014, 09:24 AM
there is more then you would think but were are pretty much at the college level. Warn tech is another one that's high school for Jeff co and I think perkins in Aurora also is HS but is mixed with adults too.
I didn't think shop was even taught in highschool anymore.