PDA

View Full Version : Bronco II Help

robotzombies
January 7th, 2015, 04:40 PM
So I don't have anything wrong with the BII yet, but I do have a short list of things that I'd like to do to it in order to make it just a tad more offroad ready. This list is really swap axles, suspension lift, and safety features (sliders, rear bumper with recovery points).

The big problem is that I have nowhere to do any of this. I live in Denver in an apartment, so I don't have a driveway or garage. I couldn't even work on the street, as my neighborhood is pretty packed with parked cars and traffic.

Is there anyone in or close to Denver that might be interested in helping a kid out? I have some tools that more than work for small fixes, and can even work for most of the things I want to do to the rig, so I wouldn't need very many other tools. It's just space that I need.

I'd be more than willing to help out on your projects, just so I have something to give in return. Or any other form of barter that could come up.

xaza
January 7th, 2015, 04:49 PM
There was a thread just started not long ago about coordinating a some sort of work shop. This sounds like it would make for a good project to throw in the hat if it takes off. Will see if I can find it, ah yes there it is.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?22561-Wrenching-Days-Clinics

robotzombies
January 7th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I've got my eye on that thread, but like someone else pointed out, depending on the response, space could quickly become an issue.

The StRanger
January 7th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Got these for ya..

BLOODBANE
January 7th, 2015, 11:40 PM
For a suspension lift, you can do it in the driveway, but having a lift is really the best way. you will have to either drill out, chisel, or air hammer the factory rivets out of the brackets that hold the radius arm brackets and the brackets that hold the axle. I have done a 84 Ranger and a 94 Explorer, and they can be tough (same design on both, as it should be on your BII). You will replace them with bolts. Find Explorer axles as the will almost bolt in, and are the tougher of the two types (Ranger are only 28 spline and Explorer is 31. On the 8.8) All Dana 35's are the same. The Explorer axle will need the spring perches, move to the top side of the axle housing, but really is an easy process (I have Explorer axles in my 84).
Im kinda out of things right now, and a little ways from you, but I have done a lot of work on these, so dont hesitate to ask any questions. I will try and answer for you and save you some time. Mean while here are a couple of pics of mine....
Here is my Explorer. 4:88's, locked front and rear with Lock-Rights, 35's (4" suspension/3"Body lift) and I made the snorkel
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/BLOODBANE81230/Trail%20Runs/er-m04.jpg
Here is my 84. 347 Stroker, C-6, Dana 20, Explorer axles, 4:56's (lock-Right front/Detroit rear)35" Boggers (4" suspension) Fiberglass front fenders/cut rears.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/BLOODBANE81230/Chinamans/DSC00430.jpg
I have done all the work on these except the gears in the Explorer. So good luck on your project, and dont hesitate to ask anything....(Just giving you a few ideas maybe).....

robotzombies
January 8th, 2015, 12:42 AM
I was thinking, if I do decide to try to do axles, of pulling something out of an Explorer. From what I've found, like you said, those would be the easiest, since they pretty much bolt in. Currently, I'm running the stock Dana 28 up front, and I'd assume the 7.5" in rear. If I want to go bigger tires, I'd guess that those won't really handle very big ones (I'm currently on 30s, so I would assume that's pushing it).

I'm not trying to get crazy or anything. Just a small lift, maybe 33s. But it's nice to see other Fords on here. From some of the run reports, Fords seem to be a tiny majority. For that matter, anything unJeep seems to be a minority. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I had an 89 Cherokee for a bit and loved it.

Point is, I will keep you in mind. I know the Rangers, BIIs, and Explorers all have some almost interchangeable parts, so I'll be getting in touch if anything happens.

robotzombies
January 8th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Also, nice trucks. That Explorer would look mighty good with some Jurassic Park paint.

Austin
January 8th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Hey man I would be willing to help you out however I can but I don't really have a shop to work in just my driveway which kinda sucks in the winter but hit me up ill help how ever I can

JFjeld
January 9th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Consider DIY Garage for some of your bigger projects. I think there is one in Westminster or Thornton. Basically, you pay $XX per hour for a shop, tools, lift, etc and perform the work yourself. I think you can even hire mechanics for an additional charge. I've not personally been there, but I've heard good things.
http://www.diyautorepairshops.com/

For smaller projects, consider that thread above that someone posted. I responded to it and am planning a couple of projects tomorrow (exhaust, bushings) at my house in Frederick. Anyone is free to stop by and I'll offer my space for the day. I'll have my hands full with my project and know nothing about Ford mods (my wife's Edge will never leave pavement, lol) but its an option. PM me if you want the address.

javaman34
January 9th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I need to remember that website. I've seen this place several times but forget all about it when I get home.

robotzombies
January 9th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Some of the places I've lived have had clubs that you could join that have full shops, but the shops were more about wood working and metal working. I tried to find an automotive related club or shop similar to that here in Denver, but I just didn't know what to search for. So thanks for that link. Westminster isn't too incredibly far for me, so that's convenient.