PDA

View Full Version : File sharing sites?

Hypoid
January 10th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I tried to attach a large file using my web mail, yahoo said to use drop box. I am wary of signing up for just anything. Besides, my ASUS computer came pre-loaded with web storage software.

I don't have any devices to synchronize, don't want my files out in the nether regions of "the Cloud." What is the good and bad of using these services?

TIA

Brucker
January 10th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I tried to attach a large file using my web mail, yahoo said to use drop box. I am wary of signing up for just anything. Besides, my ASUS computer came pre-loaded with web storage software.

I don't have any devices to synchronize, don't want my files out in the nether regions of "the Cloud." What is the good and bad of using these services?

TIA

I use dropbox. Only downside is the people you are trying to share with need it as well. That and you need to make sure that you put said items into the right folder. But has worked well for me with large projects. My clients and I are able to share huge files without issue.

robotzombies
January 10th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Dropbox and Google Drive are probably the two best/most prominent.

Dropbox has a smaller size limit because they want you to pay for larger space. But the free version is like 1 or 2 gigs, so it should be enough to upload things unless you're sending hundreds of large pictures. You can also share files with those that don't have Dropbox because there's a way to share the link or folder you want them to access. Once it's downloaded, you can delete it.

If you have a Gmail account, the you're already signed up for Google Drive. The person you want to send it to doesn't need Gmail, just like Dropbox, you can share your file or folder with a link and then delete.

The Cloud isn't scary, you just have to know what to upload and what not to.

Tom
January 10th, 2015, 02:36 PM
MS One Drive is another. Amazon has one too.

Jackie
January 10th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Drop box always worked for me. Also "Yousendit". Never had a problem.

Jim
January 10th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Also "Yousendit"

Most clients utilize DropBox(.com) though I have been hearing of YouSendIt(.com) on one podcast. The YouSendIt does sound interesting / good for the task you desire (send a larger file).

Adaa60
January 10th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I use drop box and googlet drive as well

Hypoid
January 10th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I did some reading on the pre-installed software, not what I am looking for. Guess what I will un-install!!!

It is reassuring that the available (free) services are relatively secure. I'll do more reading on the three mentioned here.

fredrok
January 10th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Hypoid,

You didn't mention how sensitive the files or how important privacy is to you but make no mistake that "secure" isn't an adjective I'd use to describe Dropbox and even less so for anything Google. (the arch nemesis of "privacy"). As a matter of fact, Google's entire business model is mining your data.

That said, I've used Dropbox to share junk data like media files with friends, etc and for each person you recommend to the service, your storage space goes up as well.

However, if you want to share securely, look into SpiderOak or consider setting up a VPN for transferring files without the need for a cloud.

Jim
January 10th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Right-o regarding security. But then, plain e-mail is the least secure (unless the file is encrypted pre-sending [via any transfer method]).

Brucker
January 11th, 2015, 01:32 AM
You can also share files with those that don't have Dropbox because there's a way to share the link or folder you want them to access. Once it's downloaded, you can delete it.

Sorry, should have been more clear. You are totally correct. You both only need to have Dropbox installed to swap files back and forth.

fredrok
January 11th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Right-o regarding security. But then, plain e-mail is the least secure (unless the file is encrypted pre-sending [via any transfer method]).

You bet. I've been following a rule for years that anything I email, text, leave in voicemail, write on forums, etc is fair game for public consumption. Snowden only confirmed my beliefs and Facebook, Twitter and all; bad news in that regard as well.

Hypoid
January 11th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Damn, should I uninstall the Chrome browser I've been using since I bought this machine? I was leaning toward Google because I already have a youtube account, which comes with a web mail account (that I never use).

Yep, secure is the wrong adjective. I don't let creditors stick their paws into my bank account (automatic bill pay), I don't want entities poking around my hard drive. I am not transferring sensitive information, I am more concerned with inadvertently allowing too much access. FWIW, we have Norton loaded on two of the machines in the house, ESET NOD 32 on the third.

I guess if a service is easy to use, and not invasive, my hard drive should be secure. Drop Box is looking like the favorite.

I appreciate all the comments!

fredrok
January 11th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Damn, should I uninstall the Chrome browser I've been using since I bought this machine? I was leaning toward Google because I already have a youtube account, which comes with a web mail account (that I never use).

Yep, secure is the wrong adjective. I don't let creditors stick their paws into my bank account (automatic bill pay), I don't want entities poking around my hard drive. I am not transferring sensitive information, I am more concerned with inadvertently allowing too much access. FWIW, we have Norton loaded on two of the machines in the house, ESET NOD 32 on the third.

I guess if a service is easy to use, and not invasive, my hard drive should be secure. Drop Box is looking like the favorite.

I appreciate all the comments!

It's a fine line between paranoia and awareness. Technically, if the lay person is on the internet, nothing is truly private and NO browser is relatively secure. As a matter of fact, the browser is the least of your concerns in as much that everything you do online routes through your ISP (and is likely logged) which you have no control over. Wanna setup your own ISP? ;)

Point is, just assume there is no privacy online and do what you can to educate yourself and build a better fortress if you want. There are many ways outside of this subject to accomplish that.

Chris
January 11th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Go with Drop box - use this and give me some more space :D

https://db.tt/VzeukMV

Jim
January 11th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Regarding ISP privacy: VPN re-routes tied with TOR will go a long way to remove one specific ISP from making a big log of activities.

TOR, of recent, seems to be falling from its pedestal of anonymity (sadly), though it's still a good resource to use.

Jim
January 11th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Go with Drop box - use this and give me some more space

LOL - the money line!

Hypoid
January 11th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Go with Drop box - use this and give me some more space :D

Done! :thumb:

Hypoid
January 11th, 2015, 02:39 PM
As a follow up, I did not have to download a stinkin' thing! :thumb:

I registered at the site, uploaded my file, shared the link, DONE!

Chris
January 11th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Yep, you can use the site or the app. It's been flawless and free over my years of use.