PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations on a safe place to teach a kid to drive!

Jackie
January 10th, 2015, 11:09 PM
My girl is a whopping 10 yrs old now, can reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel. So to keep true to my word, I need to start teaching her how to drive! I need to find a secluded dirt trail (preferably long and straight with zero obstacles, ledges, trees etc. Basically, she will have fun going straight forward on a flat surface as long as she is behind the wheel!

She has been my "wheeling-pal" for years now and already does all the shifting for me. (It's an auto, but she can shift to drive, reverse, park, neutral without even looking. Not bad)!

My plan for her first try is to find a dirt trail, drop it into 4-lo-1 so she can't possibly get up too much speed.

Do you have any suggestions? We're in Evergreen. :steer:

Jim
January 10th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Not close - Sevenmile Creek, for a large portion of the start of it (and the exit of it - you would drive the middle portion with ledges), would be high on my list (no ledges / issues - and it's not a public dirt road).

Otherwise, ?Rampart? comes to mind.

Bunce School Road - closer (and due to the name, perhaps more fitting).

Brucker
January 11th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Love that this topic came up now. So my nephew is 13 already and is showing some interest in vehicles finally. I promised to take him out and show him a couple of things. Figure letting him drive the little blue shop truck should be a easy way to start him off learning a clutch (because of the dual cases with ultra low gearing, it's impossible to stall). We were originally planning on taking him over the holiday break, but with the cold and snow, I figured he might get overwhelmed so we pushed it back. We are now going to be trying next Saturday.

I too was trying to think of a safe place to let him practice. Like Jim, I came up with Bunce School Road. It's close, easy, and not completely snowed in. But if anyone can think of somewhere better, please chime in!

Also, any pointers for teaching someone to drive a stick? I have only taught a couple of people how but they already knew how to drive an auto....

robotzombies
January 11th, 2015, 01:47 AM
Parking lots are a beginning driver's best friend, assuming you want them to drive at night, when a parking lot will typically be less empty. The hard part about both your situations is the being 10 and 13. That reduces the places you can teach them. A few of us ran Bunce on New Year's Day, and it wasn't too driveable, even for us. So you might want to find a nice, non snowy place (I don't know what it's like right now, however; it could have all melted by now).

As for tips for teaching stick, get them used to the operation first, without having the vehicle turned on. Make sure then know how to operate the pedals, when to operate them, and how to fully understand and use the stick. I think the last one is important. Take them through shifting the gears, complete with using the clutch as you move from gear to gear. It might help to call out speeds as the shift, and they can shift to whatever gear they'd normally shift to (for instance, 0-10 mph is about 1st gear, 10-20 is second, and so on). All before even turning the car on.

Another thing is to let them understand the importance of the clutch and neutral. I'd say it's the most important safety feature of a vehicle when learning. If anything goes wrong, push in the clutch and put the stick in neutral. Some people will have tendency, if things don't go correctly, to either push in the brake or push the gas. The clutch, in my opinion, is the safest option. It disengages the transmission, stops the vehicle from accelerating. If you're in a wide open area, braking won't be essential.

Also, flatness is your friend. When learning how to balance between gas and letting out the clutch, you don't want to be rolling. That just adds another level of complexity that isn't necessary. It can also add to the stress.

Also again, I hope you aren't concerned about your clutch too much. There will be some unnecessary revving with the clutch semi-engaged. It'll make you cringe. It's hard to get to that right balance of clutch/gas motions.

Is most of that inherent in teaching someone stick? I feel like you probably already know most of this.

Hypoid
January 11th, 2015, 10:34 AM
When teaching a beginner to use a clutch, I find a nice, flat, parking lot. I make them get a feel for the clutch before we even talk about the gas pedal. A stock vehicle, with stock tires and gearing, in first gear, will start moving with the engine at idle. Before we even start the exercise, I tell them that they will stall the engine until they get the feel. I have yet to see any vehicle damage from this exercise, and continue to use it.

Jackie
January 11th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking that Switzerland Trail might be a good option for kids to learn (pending snow conditions). We took Annika there to practice riding her dirt bike. We found a nice long flat stretch where it was easy for me to lead with the Jeep and she followed a safe distance behind. If she saw me pull over and stop, then she knew she had to do the same. (I stopped every time I saw an oncoming vehicle and deliberately pointed out that there was a kid learning behind me. Most people thought that was great and just slowed down). The stretch I'm talking about was only a few hundred yards and then we would turn around and go back the other way. (Back-n-forth, back-n-forth)! She felt much more comfortable with her bike after that. The Jeep should be less scary for her, but that trail might be a good option.

Jackie
January 11th, 2015, 11:16 AM
I also recall an open area on China Wall (right before you head up to the wall). One year one of our members had his 11 yr. old driving back-n-forth, back-n-forth having the time of his life!

Jim
January 11th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How could I have forgotten this one: CEMETERIES

Close to home, lots of small roads, very little traffic.

javaman34
January 11th, 2015, 01:02 PM
When teaching a beginner to use a clutch, I find a nice, flat, parking lot. I make them get a feel for the clutch before we even talk about the gas pedal. A stock vehicle, with stock tires and gearing, in first gear, will start moving with the engine at idle. Before we even start the exercise, I tell them that they will stall the engine until they get the feel. I have yet to see any vehicle damage from this exercise, and continue to use it.

That is how my dad taught me to drive a clutch. I stalled it several thousand times when learning.

Jackie
January 11th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I don't think I'd use a parking lot because she is only 10 (no permit obviously). I did however, teach my older daughter how to drive in snow using an empty parking lot for starters, but she had a permit so everything was legal. If I'm not mistaken, the only way to give younger kids a shot at the wheel is to be off-road. (Maybe that isn't even "legal" - I'm not sure). But keeping "safety first", I'd prefer no other drivers around. Less to worry about and a better learning environment.

Brucker
January 11th, 2015, 02:11 PM

This has been what I have done in the past. Figured that with the dual cases, one should get a feel for the clutch quicker, than I can slowly change the gear ratio as they become more comfortable. Then once he has the hang of it, we can actually try driving around a little like normal.

Jackie
January 11th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Hey Aaron - Maybe in the spring we could hook up and take the kids out together. Putting a second vehicle into the mix could increase the learning curve and be really fun for the kids! Oh hell, we could organize a kids-day "rodeo" where all drivers are under-age and are "COMPLETE newbies". Maybe we could find a trail that might offer areas for beginner/intermediate and advanced practice for young drivers. (Adults would be allowed to take the wheel when they feel it to be necessary).

Hypoid
January 11th, 2015, 02:36 PM
With any luck at all, someone with a lot of (private) property could host such an event.

AccordRanger
January 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Back roads are where I learned.

MultiScuf
January 11th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Church Parking lots

Brucker
January 11th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Hey Aaron - Maybe in the spring we could hook up and take the kids out together. Putting a second vehicle into the mix could increase the learning curve and be really fun for the kids! Oh hell, we could organize a kids-day "rodeo" where all drivers are under-age and are "COMPLETE newbies". Maybe we could find a trail that might offer areas for beginner/intermediate and advanced practice for young drivers. (Adults would be allowed to take the wheel when they feel it to be necessary).

I don't know if I'd want to do that. Though, thanks for the offer. Being as he is my nephew, I don't want to be responsible if anything goes wrong with others around. And I have found that students seem to listen better with fewer teachers ;) Though once he gets comfortable enough behind the wheel, and I think he has had enough seat time, I'd be up for something to let the young ones get a chance to play. Besides, I don't mind being a spotter, I just like being able to get out.

Hypoid
January 11th, 2015, 08:09 PM
I think a lot of licensed drivers would benefit from an off-road driving rodeo! :D

EDIT: I appreciate the liability aspect that everyone owns up to. E.G. Parking lots are private property, and Police don't want to respond to a parking lot if there is a problem that would normally be considered a civil issue. Why put your youngsters in the position of dealing with problems they never heard of, let alone have the capacity to fully understand?

Hypoid
January 11th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Back roads are where I learned.
I learned the clutch in a field, on a Farmall Super A, though I suspect it was a Super A-1 (http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Farmall_Super_A-1). Gawd I was lucky!

Jackie
January 11th, 2015, 09:27 PM
I don't know if I'd want to do that. Though, thanks for the offer. Being as he is my nephew, I don't want to be responsible if anything goes wrong with others around. And I have found that students seem to listen better with fewer teachers ;) Though once he gets comfortable enough behind the wheel, and I think he has had enough seat time, I'd be up for something to let the young ones get a chance to play. Besides, I don't mind being a spotter, I just like being able to get out.

I hear you and understand completely. Maybe as our kids grow, we can brag about their new driving skills and organize somthing where the student drivers have to have completed "x" number of hours behind the wheel already and must also undertsand basic hand signals from a spotter. We would have to trust each other on our claims regarding the child's success/advancement. (Parent/guardian must occupy the front passenger seat at all times). Spotters (of course) would use their best judgment based on the skill of the child, not the vehicle.

Let's just keep this idea in the "idea box" for the spring/summer!

Jim
January 11th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Oh, another: Walden Sand Dunes / North Sand Hills - WIDE OPEN SPACE (sometimes EMPTY of other vehicles) - but not close to home.

I was there this past summer and Bryan's son (14) spent a bit of time behind the wheel.

Enough open space? This was a SATURDAY (May 31, 2014)!?!? Bryan & son (yet to be at the wheel)
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-05-30--trail--north-sand-hills/day2/img_2156.jpg

Jackie
January 11th, 2015, 09:37 PM
That's what I'm talking about! But it looks to be deep sand. Is it?

Jim
January 11th, 2015, 09:54 PM
That's what I'm talking about! But it looks to be deep sand. Is it?

Nothing you need to worry about in the flat opens (getting stuck). It's not soft, sink sand, in the open area and generally not at all (though spots do exist - where I got stuck on a side trail).

Hit this link:
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2014-05-30--trail--north-sand-hills/day2/ (http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-05-30--trail--north-sand-hills/day2/index.html)

It was a nice day with the group from here and Bryan and son. At the very bottom of the page is perhaps 10 pictures, and the last item is a video, of Bryan & Son playing in an out of the way area. Of note in the video is that I said his son, instead of simply driving up the sand ridge, he should go not-fast-enough-but-stay-on-the-gas to make it to the top so that he could feel the jeep slow, stall, then have the tires dig in. Only when motion stopped would he stop with the gas. He then would have to back out of the holes he dug and reverse to the lower flat - then try again moving up the hill to the top.

Adaa60
January 11th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Food for thought. I asked a policemen a few months ago to teach my friend how to drive stick. He suggested I take him to the soccer stadium off 65th-ish and Quebec. The parking lots are Gigantic, and always empty unless there is an event. Police see driver learning there a lot and it is aloud.

JFjeld
January 12th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I've been doing the same. My daughter is 14 and starts Driver's Ed next month. Over the summer, I let her drive large portions of Coney Flats and Kelly Flats (after Heart Attack Hill, of course). I reasoned the same; 4-wheel lo, she can't get into too much trouble, she's going slow, and can just get familiar with things. We then graduated to the gravel rounds surrounding our community. I even gave her one lesson in the Jetta with the 5-speed. I think its a good skill set to have, even though my wife, at 35, has never mastered this.

She's really been enjoying this, and its something that she and I can do together. She constantly waffles on what kind of car she wants, but so far, a Wrangler is still at the the top of her list :thumb:.

greenramp
January 12th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I took my son to core

dscowell
January 12th, 2015, 09:44 AM
If you were still in Westminster there were the businesses off Simms by the flatirons golf course that always have open parking lot. I learned stick at the school parking lot on a weekend. If there is no sports or school events there shouldn't be anymore then a few cars in the parking lot and they are generally as close to the building as possible.

ColoJeeper
January 12th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Always started my kids off in the parking lots at Red Rocks...

Brucker
January 18th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I took my nephew out today. It was his first time behind the wheel of anything other than a bicycle or the occasional go cart. He did fantastic! He was a tad nervous so I started him out in an automatic instead of a manual. I had to learn out on a stick and figured it was good for me so I just planned to teach him the same. But my wife convinced me otherwise. He probably would have been fine with the stick, but today boosted his confidence greatly, so it was probably the right move. I let him spend just under 3 hours behind the wheel, and he really only made one big error. That pesky throttle pedal looks just like the brake ;) But with no one around, it didn't matter in the least. And it served as a great teaching lesson. All in all he did numerous laps while driving some forwards and some backwards and then spent about 25 minutes on parking. And that is when he had the pedal issue. I actually saw it coming for some reason and had a hold of the ebrake handle and was about to pull it when he found the brake again. Probably over shot his intended position by only 2 or 3 feet, wasn't bad at all. I am very proud of the little dude. And he was pretty happy when we were finished, so that made me feel good. Made plans to take him out again soon, this time with a manual. He is looking forward to it, and so am I. Today was a good day away from the shop.

Jim
January 18th, 2015, 06:55 PM
COOL!!!

Three hours though - that's a nice stint. To him he might say it was "about 20 minutes".

Jackie
January 18th, 2015, 09:54 PM
We started our daughter off in learning to drive her dirt bike on our street (bad move). It cost us a little over a grand to fix the neighbor's truck when Annika bumped into it. Nothing serious happened except the dent in my wallet. (Water under the bridge...)

We then started taking her to the school parking lot to practice when there were no cars around. That worked! Then we took her off-road for a bit on straight-aways. She's still a little nervous about that and we are not pressuring her. Annika might be a little more like me than she is her dad. I like 4-wheels while he likes 2. We'll get Annika out someplace safe this spring and see how she feels about it!