PDA

View Full Version : fj60 not passing Emissions

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2015, 09:29 AM
I'm working on an FJ 60 and won't pass emissions. It's has new spark plus, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, clean premium gas mixed with a little E85, oil change, gas cap, exhaust including cat, muffler, tail pipe.
Long story short this sat for about 3 years with out any attention, needed all maintenance done,and exhaust cat was not working muffler and tail pipe were holy.

Everything. Passed except CO reading was 70.5 limits are 45.0.

First thing I noticed is the temp gauge was not working, I figured it's Just a temp sensor for gauge, but now I'm thinking it might work with the carborator and made it run rich. Any one know if this is true on an 85 fj60

2nd thing I found is the carborator cooling fan wire is melted off, so that won't turn on after running, but I wouldn't think that would had any thing to do with passing.

RidgeRunner
February 22nd, 2015, 09:43 AM
What values aren't passing and how high are they? Are the 60s EFI or carb'd.

NVM, I see you added the info.

High CO usually means it's running rich.

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2015, 09:46 AM
Sorry didn't put values up at first, they are up now.
CO is at 75.5. Limits are 45.00
This is carbed

RidgeRunner
February 22nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
On an EFI vehicle, there can be a temp sensor that feeds the ECU and affects fuel mixture. I don't think that has anything to do with carb'd fuel mixture. Have you checked the carb settings?

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2015, 09:56 AM
I was thinking the same. that's why I didn't worry to much when I noticed the gauge wasn't moving.

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2015, 10:00 AM
I was thinking the same. that's why I didn't worry to much when I noticed the gauge wasn't moving. I haven't check carb setting or timing yet, that will be tomorrow. All vacuum lines look good I replaced a few with craked ends. I'll do a little spray test on it tomorrow too

Jim
February 22nd, 2015, 10:23 AM
Cooling system thermostat stuck open, allowing the motor to run cooler than it should, thus having the carb run rich?

Does the carb have heat activated choke that's not fully opening?

Any vacuum lines missing / not operating or routed as they should be?

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2015, 10:36 AM
Oh yeah, thermostat and cooling flush is all so tomorrow. I had good heat from the front and rear heater cores, so not sure if that will me an issue but we shall see.

The choke cable is snapped at the knob, and it has some electric thing connected to it, that May be soon to replace if we can find one. Have not had any lunch with that yet.
As far as vacuum line they do look like they are routed correctly and in good condition

fredrok
February 22nd, 2015, 10:58 AM
Post your HC and NOX readings as well.

Once the truck has been running and is hot, have you verified the choke plate is completely open?

Chris
February 22nd, 2015, 11:14 AM
I sold my FJ62 after a miserable time with emissions. It took 7 tries before passing with new o2 sensors, catalytic converters and a whole lot of smaller stuff. The requirements to pass have tightened over the years making it hard. The best solution is about 1/8 tank of gas, a couple bottles of isopropyl alcohol and timing it to run in there with the motor nice and hot. If you hit it right and they don't make you sit and cool down you should do fine.

The other choice that would help in all aspects of FJ60's is a Chevy 350. :D

Patrolman
February 22nd, 2015, 11:27 AM
Just for the reasons that Chris posted, I sold the only FJ-60 that I ever owned. I got it as a trade, it ran half decent but likely would have failed. Had a clean body though, and it went on a transporter to VT if I remember right. No regrets selling it.

In regard to the problems you are having Adam, post up all the numbers. It looks like the CO is almost double the limit. Has it passed an e-test in the past? If you don't know, I believe that a Carfax would tell you. That might give you a hint into some of the history and what may have changed.

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2015, 11:37 AM
There you go.

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
I have not verified if if the choke plate isopenedor closed, but the cable is disconnected from the carb

Patrolman
February 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
I have not verified if if the choke plate isopenedor closed, but the cable is disconnected from the carb

That is a good start! :)

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
Not sure about past emissions history. did get lucky and drove right in after about 40 mins of driving.
They emissions guy actually had to test it 3 times, it was definitely hot during at lest one test

fredrok
February 22nd, 2015, 12:03 PM

Which still gives you no confirmation that it's held open and not flopping around, especially at idle. If you aren't using it, make sure it is physically locked open.

So your HC levels are on the high side (I think, can anyone read that?), all indicating that you're rich and/or incomplete combustion (which you obviously know). More effects are too advanced of timing and oil consumption (blow by). All could also be unfavorable symptoms of a well-worn engine. Assuming no O2 sensor, correct?

Any mechanic will tell you diagnosing long distance is a *****. But I would start here:

1.) Verify choke plate locked open.
2.) Verify carburetor very clean inside venturis at least. I also suggest verifying mixture adjustment is correct. (requires a knowledgeable Toyo person)
3.) Verify current timing setting (including TOTAL advance) and compare to "book value".
4.) Disconnecting PCV hose and leaving open to the atmosphere (discretely) while you test will have a positive impact on your emissions readings.

Patrolman
February 22nd, 2015, 12:12 PM
I think the HC was 3.7 with 4.5 as the limit. That is a tad high in my opinion.

fredrok
February 22nd, 2015, 12:24 PM
I think the HC was 3.7 with 4.5 as the limit. That is a tad high in my opinion.

That's what I thought I saw as well. Agreed.

Java
February 22nd, 2015, 12:54 PM
I had an 86 for a couple of years, loved it. I had problems passing, and FWIW two things made the difference- rebuilt carb and a replace all the vacuum lines. A roll of vacuum line and a carb kit from NAPA were pretty cheap, and it took about two hours to remove each line, cut it's replacement, and replace them one by one. My lines looked good, but there were small cracks and loose ends all over when I pulled them. The carb rebuild was one of the easiest I've ever done- I owned a small marina years ago and rebuilt a lot of Mercury and Seadoo carbs, the FJ60 was easier than either. The float adjustment was the biggest deal to get exact, but once it was dialed in it was great.

94ToyBear
February 23rd, 2015, 09:51 PM
New thermostat, coolant flush, temp guage sender.
Sender wire repaired, carb cooling fan wire repaired.
Heat in the cab, Choke is not on and wide open.

Checked temp with temp gun an the thermostat and only got to 160ish with a 180 stat.

94ToyBear
February 24th, 2015, 10:12 AM
seems as if may have figured out why it might not be getting hot enough, the thermostat that came out was up side down, and the new one I installed is also up side down and also missing an o ring that sits on the top of the thermostat. so pretty much its running cold because is like it has half a thermostat. here is a link to ih8mund I found that helped me figure this out. http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/thermostat-question.625463/ Hopefully this will solve any issues.

Chris
February 24th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Good luck Ada, hope that's the fix you need. I like to see 60 series staying on the roads and trails.

94ToyBear
February 24th, 2015, 03:28 PM
put it on the Gas analyzer after flipping the stat around and putting the O ring on top seem to be one of the major issues. at the thermostat I now have 180 degrees as before I was at 135 degrees. there is HOT air in the cab and no more warm air, gauge is sitting about in the middle and my temp gun is showing good temps around the board. Analyzer numbers dropped by 60-70% from before. better go get that retest before its to late.

94ToyBear
February 24th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I wonder is you have the thermostat up side down like I did !!!
Just for the reasons that Chris posted, I sold the only FJ-60 that I ever owned. I got it as a trade, it ran half decent but likely would have failed. Had a clean body though, and it went on a transporter to VT if I remember right. No regrets selling it.

In regard to the problems you are having Adam, post up all the numbers. It looks like the CO is almost double the limit. Has it passed an e-test in the past? If you don't know, I believe that a Carfax would tell you. That might give you a hint into some of the history and what may have changed.

Patrolman
February 24th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I think the one I had was having more issues than that. So many people had worked on it, there was no telling what may have been messed up. It was about 8 years ago. I had zero interest in messing with it. Hope that you got yours all straightened out though!

Chris
February 24th, 2015, 06:10 PM
I used the AirCare Help Center that tried to get mine to pass, EFI is very different though.

94ToyBear
February 25th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Its a PASS ! HC 2.3 CO 35.2 CO2 588.8 NOx1.6 limits HC 4.500 CO 45.0000 CO2 6.0000

Chris
February 25th, 2015, 12:34 PM
:2thumbup:

Hypoid
February 25th, 2015, 05:19 PM
GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Patrolman
February 25th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Good work!