PDA

View Full Version : what could this be

KnuckleHead
March 3rd, 2015, 10:52 PM
Been trying to figure out what might be the problem here. ... I've changed front axle u joints.... ball joints front and vacuum shift motor.... nothing has fixed this. Only does it while in 4x hi and lo... worse in lo.... Blown what? ??? http://youtu.be/FSGY4ZSj2DQ

Jim
March 3rd, 2015, 11:02 PM
FYI: Vid is private...

KnuckleHead
March 3rd, 2015, 11:06 PM
Opps... should be good now thanks

94ToyBear
March 3rd, 2015, 11:27 PM
Is that only happening in reverse while backing up ?

Jim
March 3rd, 2015, 11:31 PM
Pull the front diff cover and check the ring & pinion teeth?

gm4x4lover
March 4th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Chain jumping?

KnuckleHead
March 4th, 2015, 07:37 AM
This also happens while going straight, just worse when turning.

94ToyBear
March 4th, 2015, 07:43 AM
I agree with Jim, open the cover and see what you find. is there a notice in forward and reverse? is the noise only present under load or acceleration?

KnuckleHead
March 4th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Both load and acceleration. I did notice if i hammer down it does not do it, but definitely worse while in 4lo and turning.

94ToyBear
March 4th, 2015, 08:56 AM
what about in reverse ?

gm4x4lover
March 4th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I think if it was a diff it would do it in 2wd. Even though it should be a vacuum disconnect axle the ring and pinion still rotate will driving.

ColoJeeper
March 4th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Check motor mount, transmission mount and transfer case mounts and make sure that nothing is moving around and coming into contact with your driveshafts.

The StRanger
March 4th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Disconnect the front shaft, See if it changes. Also pull the diff cover and check the inside.

Adaa60
March 4th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Chain jumping?
+1
thats my guess. when turning i think makes it harder to turn the front shaft.

jayson44
March 4th, 2015, 01:45 PM
that ping though...sounds like something is hitting against something else.

J.

KnuckleHead
March 4th, 2015, 03:35 PM
what about in reverse ?
Yes does it in reverse

KnuckleHead
March 4th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Disconnect the front shaft, See if it changes. Also pull the diff cover and check the inside.
I removed the front shaft ... put it in 4hi and 4lo sound went away. ..

KnuckleHead
March 4th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Ok so while at work i had someone look and listen while i put it through the ringer. .... every time it binds and pings you can see the front driveshaft "lock up".... Binding front shaft: http://youtu.be/TggNQUxOJHA

Rick
March 4th, 2015, 05:06 PM
http://youtu.be/TggNQUxOJHAmarked private

xaza
March 4th, 2015, 05:14 PM
If noise goes away when drive shaft removed, the only thing changing there is the shaft itself and t-case. If there are no clean spots on shaft to indicate it hitting something, it must be t-case. My thoughts anyway.

KnuckleHead
March 4th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Video fixed

gm4x4lover
March 4th, 2015, 06:36 PM
If you put it in 4 wheel drive and power brake it do the rear tires turn while the fronts stay locked.?

KnuckleHead
March 4th, 2015, 08:43 PM
So after work today i opened up the diff.... all teeth are intact... no cracks... chips... shaving... spider gears are snug no play.... rotated the ring and pinion... all looked good there as well.... looks like im doing a tcase....

KnuckleHead
March 4th, 2015, 08:49 PM
The fluid was nasty so good thing i opened it up. .. clean fluid now. ... Nasty fluid but gears good: http://youtu.be/CRlpZLixShU

94ToyBear
March 4th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Put it on Jack stands under the differentials, crawl under and check it out.

Jim
March 5th, 2015, 12:42 AM
EDIT: `guess I didn't read Adam's post before mine!

I'm hesitant to mention this (getting under a running vehicle)...

Would it be reasonable to lift all four wheels off of the ground, have a second person put the vehicle in drive (or reverse), gently bring the rpm's up a tad while applying brake pressure - enough to cause the issue to happen. Could you then, with a stationary vehicle, put your hand on different parts to feel what is binding/releasing? (perhaps somewhat remotely with a 3' pole).

Hmmm - could you walk alongside with a pole pushing against the T-case while the issue is happening?

94ToyBear
March 5th, 2015, 10:20 AM
I do it all the time At my shop and home I would say if you don't know what your doing have someone there to help you. For sure have good quality jack stands for this. what area are you in ?
EDIT: `guess I didn't read Adam's post before mine!

I'm hesitant to mention this (getting under a running vehicle)...

Would it be reasonable to lift all four wheels off of the ground, have a second person put the vehicle in drive (or reverse), gently bring the rpm's up a tad while applying brake pressure - enough to cause the issue to happen. Could you then, with a stationary vehicle, put your hand on different parts to feel what is binding/releasing? (perhaps somewhat remotely with a 3' pole).

Hmmm - could you walk alongside with a pole pushing against the T-case while the issue is happening?

KnuckleHead
March 7th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Im in Aurora by University Hospital. ....

I picked up a used tcase off CL from a guy that said his son rolled his Ram. Going to swap it in today and see what happens.....

Adaa60
March 7th, 2015, 09:42 AM
If you want help, you can come to my place. Im doing shocks here in a couple of hours.

Adaa60
March 7th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I had to open my store and be close enough if somthing happens

Jim
March 7th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I picked up a used tcase off CL from a guy that said his son rolled his Ram. Going to swap it in today and see what happens.....

I am curious as to the cause.

Good luck with it!

KnuckleHead
March 8th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Ok to start the tcase i picked up was not quit right so i regular mine with with good parts from one i had from the junk yard. ... not sure how to explain what went wrong here but there were parts floating in my tcase..... ill let the pictures speak for me. ...

KnuckleHead
March 8th, 2015, 12:37 AM
All the broken peices....

Adaa60
March 8th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Yea!!! Well I'm super glad you found the causes.

94ToyBear
March 8th, 2015, 09:19 AM
How much fluid came out? Glad you got it figured out !

Jim
March 8th, 2015, 10:45 AM
So, aside from floating bits - what do you think [in the t-case] was causing the tick / clank noise? I don't envision chain hop over a tooth.

KnuckleHead
March 8th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Looks like the pieces that were broke off were like spring loaded teeth held in by rings broke lose so the 4wheel drive was not fully engaging. My guess is when making a turn it put more stress on it and there for showed its self more.
Im wrapping up on it now and going to take it for a test drive....

KnuckleHead
March 8th, 2015, 11:02 PM
So the test drive went well. ... no noise coming from under the truck. Looks like it was the tcase this whole time. At least i got some preventive maintenance done trying to figure it out so that's good. Thanks for all the input and advice from all. ...

dieseldoc
March 9th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Front shaft removed and it want away??

Front diff. Open it and spin looking at the ring gear, skipping it sounds like. Check the pinion for movement. If it has any up and down side to side play then you need to remove and rebuild.
the crush sleeve will be the culprit. Crushed crush sleeve will let the pinion skip over the top of the teeth.
this will lead to major failure!