PDA

View Full Version : Winter Weather

Jim
May 9th, 2015, 09:21 AM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weather/forecast-parent/forecast/denver-and-colorado-forecast

1 to 2 feet of snow possible above 9000 feet. It seems like this season is taking longer (or I'm just itching to get out) for the snow to melt off.

ILuvtheMountains
May 9th, 2015, 03:44 PM
It won't stick around long with the warmer temps and rain. We will be up there before we know it! Besides, all those "fixed" trss need to wash it and uncover some rocks.

Chris
May 9th, 2015, 03:47 PM
It seems like this season is taking longer (or I'm just itching to get out) for the snow to melt off.

It is odd to have to always keep in mind that just because it's nice outside our Front Range doors that it's still Winter on the trails.

C'mon Spring!

Jim
May 9th, 2015, 05:14 PM
all those "fixed" trss need to wash it and uncover some rocks.

That's the thought!

ILuvtheMountains
May 9th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Can't believe you quoted that grammatical trainwreck!
trss=trails
it=out

Jim
May 9th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Unless it's a purposeful - FTFY - type of post, I strive to not change the post of another. verboten

Java
May 10th, 2015, 08:27 AM
These are Pasque flowers on the Mountain Lion trail at Golden Gate Canyon State Park from last weekend. The Mountain Lion trail is incredible this time of year, and a good one for dogs since there is water for quite a bit of the hike. A lot of it was flooded last year and rerouted, it was cool to see the changes, it's an amazingly beautiful trail. I can't imagine how gorgeous the mountains are going to be in the coming weeks with all this wet weather!

Brad
May 10th, 2015, 11:12 AM
I'm waaaay overdue for a colorado trail!

jayson44
May 11th, 2015, 10:57 AM
we definitely didn't get 2 feet, haha. more like 5 inches. and it's already melting, so I don't think it will be long before we're back on the trails. :)

J.

The StRanger
May 11th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Id say an easy 8..

jayson44
May 11th, 2015, 09:22 PM
yeah, it's funny how we can get less snow than you guys down there sometimes. I'll never understand CO weather.

J.

The StRanger
May 11th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Iv seen 4 inches of snow on one side of the street and none on the other !!

Jim
May 11th, 2015, 10:05 PM
From what few radar images I saw, this precip was coming from the southeast - not passing over Blackhawk before getting to the plains. Gotta love upslopes!

Java
May 12th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Jay- do you think Yankee Hill would be doable this Sunday?

jayson44
May 12th, 2015, 01:40 PM
I'd say so...the snow is almost gone around us already. Yankee should be good, probably a little snow here and there to make it fun.

J.

FINOCJ
May 17th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Just a update - went up Leavenworth Rd towards Argentine Pass about 2 miles before hitting snow block. Some of you with winches and 35s probably could have made it through relatively easily but I didn't try with only my Taco (checking out some skiing access not looking to wheel). Don't know how long it stays clear after the first snow drift, we didn't walk up any. 6 inches of snow last night but only at 11,000' plus. Seems most access roads that are not overly shaded or on north slopes are clear to 10,000' and then run into issue before 11,000'.

I know many of you are looking to get out but some of us skiers and snow climbers are happy to keep seeing snow or at least cool temps to keep it around.

Jim
May 21st, 2015, 06:10 PM
Independence Pass opened today. Mt. Evans & Trail Ridge... closed.

Snow predicted tonight - down to 9000 ft.

Chris
May 21st, 2015, 06:19 PM
Independence Pass opened today

:2thumbup: Thanks Jim, we'll take the Honda over it asap!

Woodscaper
May 21st, 2015, 08:07 PM
I'm waaaay overdue for a colorado trail!
I will second that statement!