PDA

View Full Version : Hackett Gultch

dieseldoc
May 9th, 2015, 10:03 AM
So we want to Hackett gultch with Evan (synergyXJ) last weekend.
We wheeled with 3 rigs that were up from the springs.
When we were at the bottom eating lunch I watched the drit bike climb up and out just south of the flat spot by the river.
We did attempt this. Evan made the top fairly quickly. We didnt get to see his line he want so fast....
So this hill is steep and has a set of large rocks at the bottom.
We got hung up on the belly pans and the fuel tank skid....thus leaving the jeep teetering left to right as the front left is off the ground and so is the right rear.
The front left was getting very light so I stopped and got out to see what was up.
This will be concurred later in the summer we had a newby with us and Evan didnt want to winch 5 trucks so we backed out and off to longwater.

So my question at this point is what part of the trail is this and where does it dump out to???
The trail reports and descriptions dont go this far and the forest service maps don't show it as well.

javaman34
May 9th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Any pictures of this teetering jeep?

dieseldoc
May 9th, 2015, 10:43 AM
well no....for some resason no one gets pics when I am driving
this is an issue as I run up things with flair often!
this has been an issue a few runs now....
we get pics of everyone else but they sit and watch in amazement without getting pics so I can see what the hell they were screaming for!

dieseldoc
May 9th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Said rock

ExplorerTom
May 9th, 2015, 12:11 PM
It's not in the MVUM. But neither is the trail from the ledge down to the river.

dieseldoc
May 9th, 2015, 03:48 PM
I know I cant find much info on it.
but it is a very well defind route not realy a road but its doable.

Chris
May 9th, 2015, 03:50 PM
It's not in the MVUM. But neither is the trail from the ledge down to the river.

Making both illegal by FS definition.

ExplorerTom
May 9th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Yeah, in this particular case, I think it's a bit of a grey area.

The trail was closed for the longest time at the county borders of Park and Teller due to the fire. Predator 4x4 out of CoSprings worked with the Forest Service and counties to open the trail down to the river.
http://www.predator4wd.com/halomegu.html
however, updating the actual maps more than likely isn't high on their priority list because that takes $$$$$ that they'd much rather spent on just about anything else.

As as to where that trail goes, it's more than likely the continuation of FS220 that you can see reappear to the south on the South Park MVUM. Or it's the dotted "motorcycle only" trail (736).

Stu
May 9th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Hackett ends at the river. Going past that on routes you think are "doable" is just asking for another closure at the county line.

dieseldoc
May 9th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Thus the searching and asking as we dont want to go into places we are not to go.
I am asking about it as I have not been able to find it.
I know a lot of the area is still closed and has many atv/motorcycle trails.
Again why I search and ask.

We dont want to do things that are not the legal trails.