PDA

View Full Version : Setting backlas on Dana 30 (92 wrangler)

JAB
May 9th, 2015, 04:22 PM
so we got the 8.8 in the rear with Detroit locker and 4.88's and backlash was withing specs.

the 30 however, not so much. now there is way too much BL. we moved the carrier bearing spaces all to the
left side to move ring closer to pinion. Then spaced the pinion closer to the ring gear with spacers.
seems like it will need a bunch more spacer to make it work, plus the pinion pre lode changes when you
do this and that must be adjusted.
Is there a better way to do this or just keep moving the pinion forward, because there is no more room to move the
ring gear closer??

Patrolman
May 9th, 2015, 04:28 PM
The right combination will be both. There should be a specific depth and preload on the pinion. You do all that work first. Then the ring/carrier are put in and spaced correctly to get the right backlash and pattern. Think of it as a 2-step process. The pinion is installed and 100% complete before you move on to the ring/carrier.

redneck23ms
May 9th, 2015, 06:36 PM
do you have the correct carrier for the dana 30? what gears were on it before these? it sounds like you have a 3.55 and higher carrier. and you need a 3.73 and lower one. the 3.73 and lower (numerically higher) carrier has the ring gear flange closer to the center of the carrier to make up for the smaller pinion on the lower gears

JAB
May 9th, 2015, 07:46 PM
interesting point, it had the 3.07's on it before,
is there a spacer for the ring gear to move it over?

redneck23ms
May 10th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Nobody makes a ring gear spacer for a dana 30 that I know of. The only fix is a different carrier.

dieseldoc
May 10th, 2015, 09:21 AM
No spacer. New carrier is required.
most dana axles have a case break.
your gear dealer should have informed you of this....
then again parts people these days don't know *&#$!

But at this point in time with what you have going on you are going to ave to change the carrier.
This is why I always request the customer to consider locking the front.
I know a locker adds to cost but it keeps things moving when you are doing a gear set.

JAB
May 10th, 2015, 10:26 AM
No spacer. New carrier is required.
most dana axles have a case break.
your gear dealer should have informed you of this....
then again parts people these days don't know *&#$!

But at this point in time with what you have going on you are going to ave to change the carrier.
This is why I always request the customer to consider locking the front.
I know a locker adds to cost but it keeps things moving when you are doing a gear set.

This makes sense, thanks, I will consider.

dieseldoc
May 10th, 2015, 10:43 AM
You are welcome. Its a time and cost savings to do the upgrades together.
As labor to tear the housing down to remove the carrier is the biggest part of it you save a ton
be it your time our money.

Good luck keep posting....

Pics are always nice to.....

JAB
May 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Pics show the raw axle I picked up for $75 (don't think the guy knew the value)
One pic shows the 35 next to the 8.8. only problem is the new shock mounts are not long enough, compresses the shock too much, will have to modify that.
The other is the Detroit locker in the 8.8 with the 4.88's, looks pretty mean.