PDA

View Full Version : Brake line repair

Squshiee1
May 16th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Is anyone on here good with flaring brake lines?

I screwed up one of my brake lines on the rear of my rodeo and need to replace the fitting. I was thinking about getting a flaring kit but after doing some research it seemed like a pain to find ones that really work, and a bit of practice to make a good line. To be honest I don't trust myself flaring a brake line, and out of all of the things I want to work properly on this car, it would be the brakes.

So, anyone want to help? The truck is in arvada at my house.

94ToyBear
May 16th, 2015, 05:28 PM
It's not to bad, get a scrap or use left over line and practice.

I'll be in Arvada tomorrow, off 64th n Otis. Not sure what time. Where are you in Arvada?

Squshiee1
May 16th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Im in old town arvada. Ill be at a car show from 10 till about 1

94ToyBear
May 16th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Cool I won't be far from there, you still got my number?

Rick
May 16th, 2015, 09:12 PM
forget the name but over on oxford and Santa Fe( in the Red and Jerrys parking lot) they makes lines while you wait.....take your old one in,,,70 bucks a pair...just recently had 2 made for my truck

Hypoid
May 16th, 2015, 10:13 PM
I might be able to help you out, Chase. PM on the way...

dieseldoc
May 17th, 2015, 08:21 AM
forget the name but over on oxford and Santa Fe( in the Red and Jerrys parking lot) they makes lines while you wait.....take your old one in,,,70 bucks a pair...just recently had 2 made for my truck
Rick that is MFCP motion an flow control products
they have multilule locations across town.

slunds like you are doing the hard lines......
these require a double flair to be built right and seal corectly.
so the cheep flair tools are not the way to go.
As for the work itself its not hard at all.
square cuts and good full tool engagement as with any hose you would make.
the bends are easy with bend tool you can get at just about any parts store.
as with any wire or tube take your time and do it right.

Good luck

Squshiee1
May 17th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Well... I got me a brake line flaring tool, after about 1 foot of tubing for practice, I feel confident enough to make my own brake line flare. I don't know why I was so hesitant to do it, it's really not to hard, and if the flare doesn't look good you can just cut it off and make a new one. Though a little bit of patience goes a long way when your learning. I do remember learning this in auto class now. I will be doing the repair on Barbie tomorrow and I have more than enough line to spare. Thanks for those who offered to help!