PDA

View Full Version : Winch Or Slip Yoke Elliminator

DETN8R
April 13th, 2008, 12:18 AM
So I have about $400 to spend, I can get a cheap winch or I'm thinking I can get a SYE. Thaughts?

4Runninfun
April 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I voted for SYE given what you posted up on colo4x4. Any time you can gain better ground clearance you're doing something good. I would be all in favor of getting my tcase further up and out of the way.

Brody
April 13th, 2008, 05:58 AM
The SYE eliminates the weak back part of the Jeep output right? If it is what I'm thinking it is, I broke the back off of the tranny on my Cherokee wheeling and it cost big bucks to fix. Plus leaving me stranded.

Smittybuilt has a new decently rated winch out for $300-400.

For the expense and the damage $$ you might save, I would vote for the SYE, especially as it is your DD.

Funrover
April 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Sye!

DETN8R
April 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Just curious on how hard is it to install and SYE? Looking at the kit on the tom woods website it only looks like a couple of parts.

Patrolman
April 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I have to agree. Besides, a $400 winch likely works OK, but it would probably be in your better interest to spend a little more (like $600ish) on a good quality used winch later on. Can't argue with fixing known issues before adding on accessories.

DETN8R
April 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I was considering spending some extra $$ on the Superwinch from Rokmen.

Patrolman
April 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I put a Milemarker 12,000 winch on my 4Runner. Frankly it is overkill. I got a deal on a Warn 8274 and put it on my truck. WELL worth the $! It is a great winch and I would put a used 8274 up against any new winch for the same price. Personally I think it outpulls my Milemarker. Not every vehicle can have a 8274 easily mounted to it. That is about the only drawback.

DETN8R
April 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Looks like I'm going to go with the SYE

Pathrat
April 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
As a way showing my ignorance in a nice glaring pink-neon kind of way, I will have to go google SYE. What about Superwinch? In the Northern Harbor Freight and Tool catalog there is an 8000lb winch for the sale price of $399. I don't think it is Chinese crap; they did make the locking hubs I had on my Mitsu. Anyone know more about these?

Patrolman
April 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
So to understand a SYE, first you have to know what a slip yoke is. Basically, on Jeeps and some other vehicles, the splines that allow the driveshaft to change length as the axle moves up and down are built into the transfer case. Most driveshafts have a 2 piece driveshaft that is splined in the middle. The shaft gets longer and shorter. With a slip yoke, the shaft remains the same length, but the splines slide in and out of the back of the t-case. Not the best design for long travel. Basically the rear of the t-case is changed so it is "fixed". Then a driveshaft bolts on just like a traditional design.

Here is a good link:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/JB_Wood_crosstrainer/installation.asp

Pathrat
April 17th, 2008, 09:04 PM
thank you for explaining that in such a concise, understandable manner. :)

Brody
April 18th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Fred- You wont regret it as you will have eliminated an expensive repair job where you would have ended up putting the kit in anyway just so it wouldn't happen again. Think of it as 'preventive maintenance'....

Path-
Super Winch is a decent winch. Not as good as a Warn, MileMarker or Ramsay, but good bang for the buck. Smittybuilt is now offering a low price entry level winch ($400+- for 9k) which is getting some decent reviews. If Steve's(SCRubicon)front bumper (he got their winch too) is any indication, Smittybuilt has stopped producing tin foil products and has stepped into the 21st century 4x market.

Don't ever hesitate to ask questions, especially on this site. No one is going to flame you and you will probably get much more information than you ever bargained for!

PS

Cool that you do some of your own work on your rig! LaDawn helped me layout, frame and paint the basement where we now live(1800sf) which I thought was awesome.

DETN8R
April 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Well My mom and dad bought me the winch. I still have the money to spend on the SYE so it turns out that I get to have both. Thanks for all the replies.

Brody
April 19th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Can't beat that Fred! Good for you. They probably did that as a 'thank you' for finally getting out of the house, but that's another story....Now we just have to get your long arm stuff going on for your Jeep...Keep in mind that I'll need about a week's heads up. I told Tye that I would help with his front end, too, but I don't know when that is going to be done. Keep me posted.

What winch did you get?

DETN8R
April 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I got the Warn Tabor 9K, Its not the greatest but I'm thankfull for it.

4Runninfun
April 19th, 2008, 08:57 PM
for as many times as you'll use it here in CO i'm sure that winch will do just fine.

Brody
April 20th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I think that you will be quite happy with it. I talked to the guys at High Country when Bren was looking for a winch and got the scoop on it. Sounded pretty decent to me.

DETN8R
April 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
http://www.detn8r.net/Jeep-Winch.jpg
Yeah, Jason at High Country was telling me it was his best seller when I walked in there with my mom. I'm a bit bummed out that the winch didnt come with a mount for the solenoid pack but I got it mounted.

DETN8R
April 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
Well I got the Tera Flex Extreme Short Shaft from High Country today. Only $10 more than what crazy eds wanted. It may still be awhile before I can get the drive shaft though.

Brody
April 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM
Fred

Looks like you don't have the ideal place to work on your rig. We don't have any neighbors at the moment and so have no hassles with the HOA. If you need to work on your rig sometime in a garage, PM me or call and I'll see if it is cool with LaDawn. Probably will be as she likes you, but you will be under the same constraints that I am: Just clean up your mess when it is done and make sure there is room in the garage to park. Not bad, overall.Anyway, the offer is there

DETN8R
April 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks brody, I really appreciate it. I just need get a little more $$ to pay for the drive shaft. I'll let you know.

Brody
April 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah, your Jeep will at least fit all the way into the garage. We had Dave's all the way in no sweat. Maybe when I bob the bed of mine I'll be able to fit in , too!