PDA

View Full Version : Dual Batteries

Chris
April 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Anyone running two? I'd like to in my 55...

Brody
April 16th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I have dual Optimas in my heap. I was going (and might still at some point) to make them switchable, but said to hell with it and just wired them together. On x 2 all the time, charged x2 all the time. A switch would be nice: either /or/both and I have one wired to the dash with the lines going back to the batteries, but other stuff is more important.

Easy to do at any rate. I would not get the Painless Wiring dual battery hook up kit. Wastes of $$ big time as there are ways to do the same thing way cheaper. 'How Tos' posted all over the place on pirate, 4x4 wire, ih8mud, 4crawler, etc

Chris
April 16th, 2008, 08:03 AM
The trouble I have with so many of the links you mention is they tend to be rambling pro and con threads that just muddle the issue. Personal experience and a truck I can look at make more sense to me. I'll look at yours Sunday.

BTW - I have your favorite bungee, tell me what it looks like so I can return it to you.

Brody
April 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Pirate Toyota FAQ gets you right in the middle of what you want to know. Basically I wired mine +to+ and -to-, thus giving 12 volts output. The alternator charges both. If you wire a Ford type solenoid in between them and power the solenoid through a 3 way switch, you can get the either or or both arrangement. A manual switch like a cut off switch can be made to work also.

Way I did mine makes it really easy to switch wires (one +to- then +and- out) for welding purposes. Use the multi connection military style terminals and save yourself some grief, too. Both Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts carry this style for cheap.

Kidding about the bungee. I have a bunch in about 4 different spots...

Patrolman
April 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I actually have a couple battery isolators. Thought about mounting in a dual battery setup into my rig. Have heard bad things about the isolators now. Primarily regarding heat buildup and flames?

Brody
April 17th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Haven't heard anything about that. Maybe I'll google a search and see what comes up later on.

Patrolman
April 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I guess the diode style can get really hot. Still trying to determine the real reason and if flames will really erupt. Want to put one on my ride but don't want to be walking out of the woods. Here is a great link explaining different ways of wiring in dual batteries.
http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm