PDA

View Full Version : To be or not to be 33s

Mark
July 23rd, 2015, 05:03 PM
Have a 98 tj with 2inch lift have 30s on it now and plenty of clearance.how big can I go and still be okay for trail running?really not too much into rock crawling.Any thoughts appreciated

robotzombies
July 23rd, 2015, 05:58 PM
That's about what I have on my truck. It's worked for everything I've needed it to work for so far. Granted, the most difficult trail I've done so far has been Johnny Park Road, but 30's and 2" inches of lift will keep you right side up and moving forward on a lot of trails if you're not planning on rock crawling.

As some people can probably attest to, once you start changing things, you're going to run into other things that you'll want to change. The wish list will grow.

Robert B
July 23rd, 2015, 08:12 PM
if the tires you have do every trail you do and want to do then no reason to go bigger also for how big kinda have to have the truck in person to measure things for any advice on that

The StRanger
July 23rd, 2015, 10:33 PM
As some people can probably attest to, once you start changing things, you're going to run into other things that you'll want to change. The wish list will grow.

Its a bug... Just a little change and then just a little more, And then a little more wont hurt.
Now this need to be a little longer, Then this has to be move.... and then your hooked...

Java
July 24th, 2015, 08:00 AM
There are tire / lift charts all over the internet for TJs. In my experience with my LJ 31s and 2.5" lift worked perfectly when I disconnected the sway bar. With 33s and the same lift I had a lot of rubbing when I disconnected, none when connected. Wheel spacers / backspacing changes it too, more backspacing = more rubbing. There are gear ratio / tire size charts too if you google them you might want to factor that in as well. Enjoy your new can of worms!! :lmao:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/154-0512-jeep-lift-tire-fitment-charts/

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-10.htm

JFjeld
July 24th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Based on that current setup, you'll have rubbing with 33s. You could possibly run up to 32" tires with the 2" lift, though a 1" BL and/or some tube fenders would make it better. That will allow you full articulation when disconnected.

I ran 32s, a 2"BB and 1"BL on my 2001 TJ for 3-4 years prior to my latest axle upgrades. It was a good combination.

Shadowmaker
July 25th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Take a little step up to 31s if you feel a strong need to go bigger.

Java
July 26th, 2015, 06:18 AM
these are a good deal.

https://www.treadwright.com/individual-product/69/WARDEN-31-10.50R15.00-C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxO3jFjoSiQ#t=13

FINOCJ
July 27th, 2015, 10:06 PM
My friends 98 TJ Rubi with 2.5 inch OME lift runs 32s very nicely. He runs both a 265/75R16 (31.6") on stock rims and 255/75R17 (32.1") on aftermarket rims (winter and summer tires) that have slightly less back spacing with no rubbing and sway bar disconnected but that is max. 33s would not fit without trimming or 1" body lift, and the full 32s needed a little help clearing full steering lock with either wheel spacer or rim with slightly less backspacing. Assuming you don't want to mess with new rims, I'd go the 265/75R16 (31.6"). I run that size on my Taco and it does well- even better on smaller wheelbase TJ.

jayson44
July 27th, 2015, 10:18 PM
x2 on the 32s. stock Rubi TJs had 32s from the factory, so a 2" lift is plenty to fit them. look for Rubi take-offs on craigslist. you could even pick up some JK take-offs an run spacers to help with the backspacking if you wanted.

J.

otisdog
August 3rd, 2015, 07:35 AM
You should be able to run 32's but with stock wheels there's too much backspacing. You would need spacers or wheels with a 3.75" - 4.25" backspacing. The place to really worry about clearance is between the tires and the upper rear spring perches.
I'm running 33x10.50's with a 4" lift.

Jim

dieseldoc
August 3rd, 2015, 08:16 PM
I have the fore mentioned 2" B.B. lift 33's fit only couse of the center/backspaced even wheels. mine has a wider stance with this set up. I rub the center of the fenders at full stuff.
As well as regeared for the taller tires. 4.10 gear set in mine. And welded in the rear poor mans locker