PDA

View Full Version : Token and the ReX-J

TokenXJ
August 13th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Hey everybody , I'm Chase or Token whichever .. 27 years old been in Colorado Springs for about 2 years .. Had a JK for a little while , now I've got an 88 XJ Im gonna call this build the " ReX-J".. Which luckily has the 231 xfer case but unluckily has the Peugeot tranny .. But even with 285k miles on it the engine runs strong
what have I done to it so far::
TONS of tune up stuff ,
sensors ,
blow by filter ,
rear main,
some cut fenders ,
cap , button. , home made 8mm plug wires
A whole lot of roll on bed-liner
custom switch plate in the dash
all new brake hardware ( drums , rotate , calipers , e brake cables)

stuff i i plan to do::
4.6 stroker
hybrid cage inside and out
custom fenders
lockers
gears
driveshafts
lift ( ordered , just a 3 inch budget for now, shackle and spring spacer )
winch
armor
interior cargo cage
power inverter and OBA

ive ran some trails around Mt.herman with my jk before but I haven't taken this one out yet , I would love to meet up with some people and hit a couple close easy ones just to see what breaks so I know what weak spots I got lol
thanks for readin .. Here's some pics

The StRanger
August 13th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the dark side ...
we have cookies !!!

xaza
August 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the group

Jim
August 13th, 2015, 11:35 PM
:steer:

Welcome to the group!

96EXXLTinCO
August 14th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Hello, Lots of potential in the jeep............yup, lot's of potential.

TokenXJ
August 14th, 2015, 12:45 AM
from current exp ... lots of potential stuff for me to break in my attempts to " upgrade" lol

96EXXLTinCO
August 14th, 2015, 01:34 AM
Don't EVER let the potential of breaking something stop you. Sure you'll mess things up, you'll make mistakes. But there is not a single person on here that hasn't. And some people WAY more than others, (raises hand). But what you gain in experience and knowledge is what it's all about. That's how you become better at anything. Ask questions too. I've only been on here for not even a month, but I've already seen SOOOO much knowledge and experience here, and everyone eager to help out with some advice or an opinion. So what's the next mod you're going to triumph over?

TokenXJ
August 14th, 2015, 01:52 AM
well i just got done cutting the fenders and piping up the oil blow-by catch filter , and as par for the course , i hit an alley near my house just to give it a few bumps and some mud , and the exhaust falls off lol .. so tomorrow its going to mienike for some exhaust work.. and probably a flow-master since im replacing stuff anyway lol .. but i think the next thing im gonna do is modify the stock intake box to fit in the 3 inch pipe im gonna route into the wipe cowl , and try to seal off the stock box and make a nice functional snorkel/ fresh air intake. 3" lift stuff is in the mail also but that wont hopefully be that hard as its just spacers and shackles

and its never the worry of if im gonna break something , its usually the worry of " how much is that gonna cost to get right after my engineering experiments "

96EXXLTinCO
August 14th, 2015, 02:16 AM
" how much is that gonna cost to get right after my engineering experiments "

Dont worry about that. If you screw something up bad enough you have to buy parts again, then at least you know one way NOT to do it.

TokenXJ
August 14th, 2015, 02:30 AM
true . i usually do tons of research before actually putting tools to jeep, so if i do mess it up , i can usually fix it for minimal added cost

96EXXLTinCO
August 14th, 2015, 02:50 AM
And I'm willing to bet a wooden nickle you start out doing things that way. Experience I bet?

TokenXJ
August 14th, 2015, 03:04 AM
yeah ive been wheelin for a long time , you definitely pick up some stuff along the way :) a lot of the rock crawling aspect of wheeling is somewhat new to me still thought , being originally from VA most of my wheelin has been during hunting season , with real thick mud and some pretty sloppy hillclimbs. Playin up on the mountain is way more fun, just gotta educate myself on how to build for that, which is happening slowly

96EXXLTinCO
August 14th, 2015, 03:18 AM
Cool, well welcome to our big kids' sandbox. Only difference between the men and the boys is the price of their toys. I Grew up here and got my first 4x4 at age 17. Never got into anything real rocky though. Like you I was in the mud all the time, I loved it. But I'm ready to try and take on the mountain again, so my journey begins.........

Stu
August 14th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Welcome to FR

Brad
August 14th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Welcome!

javaman34
August 14th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Welcome to our little slice of Heaven.

Brucker
August 14th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Welcome

dieseldoc
August 14th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Enjoy the hills here. Good mix or dirt and rock.
Welcome. Do hesitate to ask for help.

Hypoid
August 14th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Welcome aboard!

Mr6dwg
August 17th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the group.

TxCowgirlInCo
August 17th, 2015, 06:10 PM
96exxltinco is right! Have no fear of you screw up the first time or two! Your engineering experiments well make you a stronger wheeler as you'll have even more intimate knowledge of your vehicle.

I'm me as well and my best friend lives in the Springs so I'm there all of the time of you ever want to run some trails near there (just not Eagle Rock!!)

Good luck on your next project!

EKXJ87
August 18th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Welcome to FR always nice to see another XJ build :thumb:

ExplorerTom
August 18th, 2015, 01:30 PM
But even with 285k miles on it the engine runs strong

Is anyone else irrationally jealous of this number?

My Explorer has about 150k and my Expedition has 180k. I've never had a vehicle over 200k before (had a Mazda 626 that I traded for dealer minimum at 197k). Since my Expedition is a daily, it should crack the 200k mark much sooner.

ExplorerTom
August 18th, 2015, 01:32 PM
stuff i i plan to do::

Isn't this roughly what it has now? Or do you mean the 8.8 from the 2nd gen Explorer? Super popular swap with Wranglers.

xaza
August 18th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I would imagine he is running the Dana 35, the 8.25 is basically a bolt in upgrade to about the strength of a Dana 44.

96EXXLTinCO
August 18th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Is anyone else irrationally jealous of this number?

My Explorer has about 150k and my Expedition has 180k. I've never had a vehicle over 200k before (had a Mazda 626 that I traded for dealer minimum at 197k). Since my Expedition is a daily, it should crack the 200k mark much sooner.

My 96 Explorer has 255k, and my 01 Eclipse has 217K.

carpenle
August 19th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Hello and welcome!

Shane
August 19th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Welcome

TokenXJ
August 20th, 2015, 02:19 AM
I would imagine he is running the Dana 35, the 8.25 is basically a bolt in upgrade to about the strength of a Dana 44.

thats pretty much it

, I wasn't really thinking the ford 8.8 I was thinking the Chrysler 8.25 from a 94 or newer Dodge Ram truck ... Technically the XJs did come with the 8.25 however it wasn't until 1990 , currently its a Dana 35 in the rear and a 30 in the front , wasnt lucky enough to get one of the small runs of D44 rears for the year it is

technically I could pull one of of a 1990 cherokee if I could find the haystack in which that needle resides

dscowell
September 2nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
Howdy