PDA

View Full Version : New to Colorado, looking to hit the trails!

TxCowgirlInCo
August 16th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new transplant from Austin to the Denver area. I used to be an AVID off road-er with a fully outfitted 4Runner until a serious mountaineering injury caused me to undergo spinal surgery. Following surgery I ended up finding out that I had chronic Lyme and was subsequently out commission for almost 5 years. However, I've just been cleared by doctors to resume my trail chasing and what better place than here in Colorado!

Sadly, I currently I only have an '06 stock 4Runner w/all terrains (2wd only :eek: as I wasn't sure if I'd be able to partake in trail running again) but am anxiously looking to add a Rubicon as a weekend play vehicle. Seeing as how I've never owned a Jeep (only Toyota's) as an off-road vehicle, I'd really like to meet other enthusiasts who use their vehicles in the same way I plan on using mine, so I have the most knowledge and advice when I purchase mine in the next 2-3 months. I have been going out and running some of the lower rated trails and have done ok, but am very anxious to upgrade and push the boundaries of flexing with a disconnecting sway bar and having lockers. I'm learning that most trails here in CO are 4x4 necessary, so of course I'm limited on weekend runs for now, but I've been told I'm a great co-pilot & navigator/spotter by a few friends I've run some trails with recently. I heard this was a great community to meet some other gals that like playing in the mud and seeing as it's a rarity to meet other gals with the same...outdoor proclivities as me, I thought it'd be a good place to meet other 4 wheel enthusiasts.

Lastly, I'm very into camping and all other things outdoor (and I work from home) so I'm always ready to take a last minute trail out or head to a primitive camping site, even mid-week, if anyone wants to hit the trail but not be solo. Looking forward to exploring some more winter sports, especially snow-mobiling as it's not something we ever got to do in central Tx. ;)

So if any of you know of any trails/forest service roads that are passable in a stock, 2wd 4Runner just to go exploring and see the scenery, I'd be really grateful if you shared. Hope to meet all of you on the trail soon!

~ Leila

I'll update my avatar as soon as I can get pics of Aphrodite (my 4Runner) and pics of the 'soon to be' Artemis (Jeep)

dr350jja
August 16th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the group. Here's a couple trails you can do with that vehicle:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=110
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=74

The StRanger
August 16th, 2015, 09:48 PM
welcome to the dark side'''
We have cookies !!!

TxCowgirlInCo
August 16th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Jim,

Thank you so much for those suggestions! I'm very much looking forward to trying those trails out! Have you run them? Any idea if CB's work in the mts? Hope you had a fantastic weekend!

Leila

jayson44
August 16th, 2015, 10:01 PM
welcome! there's more than a few of us Jeep guys, so ask any questions you have in the Tech forum and we'll be there to help.

J.

TxCowgirlInCo
August 16th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Looking forward to 'descending into the dark side'!
I'll bring the milk!

TxCowgirlInCo
August 16th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Thank you Jayson. I'll wander over to the tech forum and start asking! Much appreciated!

L

Brad
August 16th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Welcome!

dr350jja
August 16th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Thank you so much for those suggestions! I'm very much looking forward to trying those trails out! Have you run them? Any idea if CB's work in the mts? Hope you had a fantastic weekend!

A good CB set up works fine for a trail run. The little hand held FSR radio will work also. I have run those 2 trails, and they are scenic and easy. If you look at the Traildamage.com website, you'll see a lot of trails listed for Colorado. Just check the difficulty rating and read the descriptions. Ask if you have any questions about a trail. There are many people in this group that have a lot of knowledge about the different trails. It's a good idea not to go alone. Have fun out there.

TxCowgirlInCo
August 16th, 2015, 11:48 PM
If you look at the Traildamage.com website, you'll see a lot of trails listed for Colorado. Just check the difficulty rating and read the descriptions. Ask if you have any questions about a trail. There are many people in this group that have a lot of knowledge about the different trails. It's a good idea not to go alone. Have fun out there.

Thank you Jim! I do have a nice Cobra in the truck as well as some handheld CB's. I like the idea of FSR and was even considering HAM once I get the Rubi. For group runs I think the CB's are great, but I like the idea of longer ranger IF I happened to be solo.

I will definitely ask the group before hitting moderate trails. I went with some friends to Eagle Rock last weekend and thankfully everyone was well outfitted because the info on Trail Damage hadn't been updated and the trail had been beaten up by the snow. It was definitely passable, but I'd hate to have those types of surprises alone with no winch :p.

Much appreciated!

Jim
August 17th, 2015, 12:45 AM
:steer:

Welcome to the group!

It sounds like you have a common sense attitude towards trail difficulty / getting in over your head - no matter the rig that seems something good to have.

Yes, several of the trails seem to be more difficult since the rains of the fall of 2013.

As for radios, CB is by far the most common with FRS & HAM (there are a few HAM folks here) distant. There are probably more folks who have no radio than those with HAM capabilities. IMO, radios are a convenience and are not a requirement on good days (everyone is in sight / each person is responsible for the whereabouts of the person behind - keep them in sight / stop & wait / go back if not in sight).

We have a "rescue list" (look in the trail forums area) that can be downloaded. It's a list, by geographic area, of members (and their contact info) who are willing to lend a hand should someone be in need (for those times folks go solo and something happens). As it goes both ways, if you're willing to lend a hand, you can put yourself onto the list. I believe it is a RARE event for it to be needed.

Enjoy the good group of wheeling friends. There are several "weekday capable" folks here as well in addition to multi-day camp folks.

TxCowgirlInCo
August 17th, 2015, 01:04 AM
Thank you! It's amazing what growing up will do for one's responsibility level :p. When I first got into wheeling at 18, I had the stubbornness and bravado of any teenager and would frequently hit the trails solo and often tried to take my '01 Dodge 1500 anywhere I saw Jeeps going! It really is a wonder I wasn't hurt. However, after becoming a Wilderness paramedic and teaching primitive survival skills and learning just how inhospitable mother nature can be, I grew a healthy level of respect!

Good to know that most of the group is on CB's. Since I've already got a fixed mount and a few handhelds, we'll just stick with that then, esp with the concept of always having other vehicles in sight. I love the idea of 'The List' I will definitely go check it out and add myself.

I'm always ready to hit the trail at the drop of a hat, so if anyone wants to hit the trail anytime, just let me know. So looking forward to meeting everyone and attending a trail cleanup. What a great way to give back!

Thanks again!!!

Jim
August 17th, 2015, 01:19 AM
A prior comment tickles the mind: How is wheeling in central Texas different than here in Colorado???

xaza
August 17th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Welcome to the group

Hypoid
August 17th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Welcome aboard!

Chris
August 17th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Welcome to Front Range Leila, forget a Ruby and get a 4x4 Toyota. ;)

Jim
August 17th, 2015, 04:27 PM
FTFY: Welcome to Front Range Leila, forget a Ruby and get a 4x4 Toyota Hybrid. ;)

Chris
August 17th, 2015, 05:01 PM
4x4 Toyota Hybrid

You meant 4x4 Toyota 4Runner Hybrid, Jim!

javaman34
August 17th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Welcome to our little slice of Heaven.

Brucker
August 17th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Welcome

TxCowgirlInCo
August 17th, 2015, 05:55 PM
A prior comment tickles the mind: How is wheeling in central Texas different than here in Colorado???

Well the biggest difference is the lack of elevation of any kind. If all the trails I've run in TX, only a small handful of them had the realistic possibility of major injury/accident or death. Even in a highly technical trail, even if you lose focus, the worst thing that may happen is bumping a tree or tipping over in steep grades 😏. Here, you lose attention for one moment on switchbacks or shelf roads, well...nice knowing ya! There also seemed to be far less rock crawling and more mud & sand.

People in Colorado also seem very hard-core and intense about their vehicles which I think is awesome. There's a whole lot of redneck wheeling there 😜

TxCowgirlInCo
August 17th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Believe you me, if I thought I could get a 4Runner as well equipped as a Rubi without spending a fortune I'd do it in a heartbeat! I've had several 4Runner's and love them!!!

Lol at hybrid!

Speaking of Toyota, have y'all seen the video of the new '16 Tacoma using its crawl feature?? It literally digs itself out of axle deep sand! Super cool !

Chris
August 17th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Saw that video last night, pretty cool for sure!

Mark
August 17th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Welcome easy run for your 2 wheel drive would be rampart range,I ran it Saturday a lot of wash board but I saw cars on it.has some great views and at least you would feel like your on a trail.

96EXXLTinCO
August 17th, 2015, 11:51 PM
FTFY: Welcome to Front Range Leila, forget a Ruby and get a 4x4 Toyota Hybrid. ;)

She's not living in the people's republic of boulder.........whichever you go with Leila, I say dump a big block in it.

Chris
August 18th, 2015, 06:39 PM
She's not living in the people's republic of boulder.........whichever you go with Leila, I say dump a big block in it.

Sorry Chad but there's no such thing as a 4Runner hybrid, just smartasses that put hybrid badges on them. :D

No need to drop a big block in place of the stock V8, it does just fine. ;)

Hypoid
August 18th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Welcome easy run for your 2 wheel drive would be rampart range,I ran it Saturday a lot of wash board but I saw cars on it.has some great views and at least you would feel like your on a trail.The West side of Rollins Pass is another road a 2wd can navigate. :)

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=134

Jim
August 18th, 2015, 09:11 PM
The West side of Rollins Pass is another road a 2wd can navigate.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=134

One of my ToDO list trails!

The StRanger
August 19th, 2015, 09:36 AM
X2.

Shane
August 19th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Welcome

96EXXLTinCO
August 20th, 2015, 12:03 AM
Sorry Chad but there's no such thing as a 4Runner hybrid, just smartasses that put hybrid badges on them.

LOL, I understood, was just my being a smartass as well. My outlook compared to some people in Boulder are quite the polar opposite, and I'm the type that would take an H1 Hummer and badge it like a smartcar just to poke at em a bit.

TxCowgirlInCo
August 21st, 2015, 08:36 PM
Welcome easy run for your 2 wheel drive would be rampart range,I ran it Saturday a lot of wash board but I saw cars on it.has some great views and at least you would feel like your on a trail.

Well I know where I'm going this weekend then. Thanks so much. I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the beauty of this state, even though I'm ill equipped at the moment for serious wheeling! Much appreciated!

TxCowgirlInCo
August 21st, 2015, 08:37 PM
The West side of Rollins Pass is another road a 2wd can navigate.

Thank you so much! You all rock and are so friendly and willing to help!

TxCowgirlInCo
August 21st, 2015, 08:43 PM
Is Hunkidori full of water right now does anyone know? Thanks all!

coleman07
August 21st, 2015, 09:28 PM
I also just joined the group and used a 2 wheeler for a long time. Fall River Road in Rocky Mountain NP is a great off road 2 wheeler. I also recommend Hagersman Pass - Leadville to Aspen. I did go up the East side of Mosquito Pass in a 2wd. Boreas Pass from Como to Breckenridge is an old railroad grade which is smooth as is the West side
of Rollins Pass. Check out Charles Wells books - he has some level 1 roads which are easily done in a 2wd.

I just bought a Rubicon and used it last weekend to go up to Argentine Pass. Had to use my lockers on a few sections due to the rain. If your ever interested in going on a trip,
let me know.

TxCowgirlInCo
August 22nd, 2015, 01:33 AM
I just bought a Rubicon and used it last weekend to go up to Argentine Pass. Had to use my lockers on a few sections due to the rain. If your ever interested in going on a trip,
let me know.

Thanks so much for the great suggestions! This forum has given me enough trails to keep me busy for the next few weeks, yay! I will have to go check out that book as well as I'm sure it'll be invaluable!

Do you love your Rubi? I've been looking at them and am quite impressed with their stock ability. I don't know if I'll make the wait until Nov/Dec to buy :p one, but I'm trying. My girlfriends keep logically telling me that if I wait until wintertime and buy in the South, I'll save enough money to pay for my first mods or at least get decent tires. So, good point!

How was Argentine? It looks lovely! I bet having the lockers was nice... esp with the button! Did you have to disconnect or was it minimal flexing?

Thank you!

coleman07
August 22nd, 2015, 01:51 AM
I bought the Rubicon because I felt comfortable knowing that it was designed to go off road. It has the skid plates, the high torque ratio for down hill descent, the electronic lockers and sway bar, etc. I did not disconnect the sway bar because I didn't really know if it was the right thing to do. I must say, from the start of the trail off the road to
Guanella Pass, I knew I was glad to have a jeep. I actually used 2WD for 6 miles (4wd in a few spots) but the ground clearance we so much better than my Subaru. If I had done Argentine Pass with a Subaru, I would still be walking home. Above Waldorf where you go up to 13000 ft, I used 4X4 and lockers at certain points. On the way down, it was
hill descent baby and 4L.

dscowell
September 2nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Howdy

96EXXLTinCO
September 2nd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Fall River Road in Rocky Mountain NP is a great off road 2 wheeler.
2WD 4runner can handle way more than fall river. I took my 01 eclipse up that this year.

TxCowgirlInCo
September 17th, 2015, 08:09 PM
I completely understand the mentality of that. That's why I want a Rubi so that it's ready to go and I don't have to mess with modding it out right away. Still planning on running trails at the end of the month down south?

Shadowmaker
September 17th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the group!

Consider the other wrangler models too if you are going for a top down model... With the electronic braking systems, I ran a 07 Sahara along side Rubis. Fun to be sure, so many great vehicle platforms out there for exploring Colorado!