PDA

View Full Version : Rubbin is racing

Lowfill
August 17th, 2015, 05:05 PM
I just installed a 3" lift on my 2000 xj, and put 31" tires on 16 inch rims under it.My problem is that when I took it for an allingment the front tires rubbed on the lower back edge og the fenders when making any kind of a sharp turn. I have seen the trimming of the whole fender on Youtube, but was wondering if ther was somethingelse I could do specific to that area of the fender that anyone else has tried with success. By the way allingment still not done, all the help called in sick today so no techs around.
Thanks Phil

Shadowmaker
August 17th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Some times you can just adjust the steering stops. It will remove a touch of turn radius though and may cure the rubbing.

Hypoid
August 17th, 2015, 08:53 PM
I just installed a 3" lift on my 2000 xj, and put 31" tires on 16 inch rims under it.My problem is that when I took it for an allingment the front tires rubbed on the lower back edge og the fenders when making any kind of a sharp turn.What is the wheels' offset?

Robert B
August 18th, 2015, 12:42 AM
i dont know the exact spot your talking about but i think i know and yes either the turning stops need to be adjusted trim it or depending on how the unibody is designed go nuts with a big hammer also if you have money to spend you may be able to get different offset rims as (what i think) mike is getting to :)

xaza
August 18th, 2015, 05:41 AM
The turn stops are welded in place so not the easiest to adjust, plus it limits the turning radius. When I put 35s on my Jeep I trimmed my fenders according to the directions of the Bushmaster cut out fender flares. It will open the wheel well up a little and you can add the flares when you get them. Post 177 has some pictures of trimming lines I used.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?17461-xaza-s-94-XJ-Build/page9

Hypoid
August 18th, 2015, 11:31 AM
I am kind of curious because I don't remember rubbing the flares when I put 31's on my 2" budget boost. I had stock wheels and stock control arms, and the tires would rub the control arms if I turned the wheel all the way to one side or the other.

Lowfill
August 19th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Well I looked at every thing again, and decided to trim the rear of the fender wells down low to give the tires enough room when I turn. Just to clarify the tireswere not rubbing on the control arms, but the rear of the fender. The wheels were off of a Ford Explorer, so I am not sure what their offsett is, but I have 1.5" spacers behind the wheels. I will post some pictures tommorrow when I get to my home computer.

xaza
August 19th, 2015, 03:58 PM
but I have 1.5" spacers behind the wheels
this is what prevents you from rubbing the control arms. Remove spacers and your problem will switch to them. What came in your 3" lift?

Lowfill
August 19th, 2015, 07:03 PM
I got New coils, new leaf springs, Lower control arms, and shocks.

gm4x4lover
August 20th, 2015, 05:25 AM
You need to ditch the wheel spacers. The wheels are two far outboard for that lift and tire size. Stock ranger/explorer b.s. is around 4 inches.

xaza
August 20th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Stock ranger/explorer b.s. is around 4 inches
oh nice, that is way better than a stock Cherokee rim then. Removing spacers and seeing if everything clears would be the easiest and cheapest way try first.

96EXXLTinCO
August 20th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Stock ranger/explorer b.s. is around 4 inches.

I dont think mine has that much, I'll try to remember to measure it real quick on break this morning.