PDA

View Full Version : Damage on new JK

Cr33p3r
August 18th, 2015, 04:23 AM
This past weekend Val I ran Cascade Creek, Saxon,and Ute Creek on Saturday with Hypoid for a trail cleanup for one of the Ford sites we're on and Sunday we did cleanup on Kingston for naxja with Hypoid again. Got our first damage to our new JK, scraped and took some small chunks out of each of the wheels (Willys Logo wheels )and did a nice foot long scrape and dent to the fuel tank skid plate. It was at that point Val said to order a 2" lift kit, but I am going to get a 3-2 kit. Now I'm not one for shelf roads and on Kingston I made it to the parking area over looking the lakes. With my anxiety running rampant I got that far,and the ride back out was worse cause I kept forgetting to breathe and Val had to remind me to breathe. Point is I won't do another shelf road period, it's just too much wear n tear one my anxiety.

Kurtis
August 18th, 2015, 04:30 AM
Hey there's a place over off of 84th and Washington area called TJ the guy I met there the owner really good guy really knowledgeable about jeeps he might have something with that belly up skid plate that you're looking for and a lift kit from talking to him that's what I'm going to go with but he might be A good source for the JK, phone number is 720-252-3880 is called the TJ the jeep shop The one that he's got on his he's got a 1 inch body lift and everything is completely up into the frame it was pretty impressive I would actually gained 5 inches of clearance if I did it

Brad
August 18th, 2015, 05:55 AM
I hear you on the shelf roads Sean. They always freak me out a little. Kind of like staring death in the face.

96EXXLTinCO
August 18th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I need a little of that puckering causing action once in a while to get the blood flowin, and push myself a little. Does Kingston have that good of a shelf road? Or were you referring to saxon? I drove up and down saxon everyday for a couple weeks one late summer 17 or so years ago in the boss's 2wd cheby. I helped build the cell towers up there, but I can only remember one area on Saxon that would even raise an eyebrow.

cfr
August 18th, 2015, 10:03 PM
My advice for the JK is do a ton of research and keep it as low as you can. Anything over 3 inches and you end up with other problems (ask me how I know). If I had to do it again, I'd still do 35s but with a 2-2.5 inch lift or no lift and fender flares.

dieseldoc
August 19th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Now this is a shelf road......
This is a full size j10 jeep truck on the shelf of black bear pass.....

96EXXLTinCO
August 20th, 2015, 01:20 AM
Now this is a shelf road......
This is a full size j10 jeep truck on the shelf of black bear pass.....

TOO MUCH PUCKER, ABORT, ABORT..........

newracer
August 20th, 2015, 08:28 AM
That is not Black Bear and that photo has been edited.

Chris
August 20th, 2015, 09:19 AM
That is not Black Bear and that photo has been edited.

Agreed but it's an attention getter nonetheless.

gm4x4lover
August 21st, 2015, 07:16 AM
Great marketing for that era, it really drove the point home.

Cr33p3r
August 24th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks Kurtis, my neighbor is friends with the guys over there and one of the original owners said he could get me a discount on some of the stuff I wanted. I did to my lift on Saturday night. Went with the Rubicon Express 2.5" lift kit.

Cr33p3r
August 24th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Chad it was Kingston peak, its about a quarter mile stretch maybe longer and the worst part is it is a busy trail without really any places to pass except going up on the embankment causing about a 15 dergree angle on top of what is already there on the road. The picture on the left doesn't show the steeper end of the trail.

Cr33p3r
August 24th, 2015, 06:33 AM
There was a debate about that picture as to whether it was real or not, end result was that Warn admitted to using a helicopter to drop the truck on the ledge like that for the photo.