PDA

View Full Version : Botkin's Intro - New to 4x4 In Fort Collins - Buying A Jeep

mumdb1
August 25th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Michael Botkin here (most people just call me Botkin), I'm 36, married with 5yr old twins, we moved to Fort Collins from North Carolina two years ago. I climb, I climb alot, but I've sold the best car I've owned in 21yrs of driving, a mint 07' Subaru Forester STi that I owned for 5yrs so that I can buy a Jeep. Climbing takes me lots of places and I'd love to have a vehicle that can go pretty much anywhere. I've been looking at Jeeps for a while now, and wow, there are so many options for sale in this area. I'd like something that isn't only built for trails, but could be a daily driver if needed. I currently work from home and we have a Rav4 for my wife, so this will be driven around town during the week and that's about it other than weekend trail/climbing.

I'm looking to buy in the next week or so, mostly looking at TJ's in the $13k/under range. If anyone is interested in giving me some advice, feel free to PM me, hell, I'd basically pay someone to go look at some of these with me if anyone likes looking at Jeeps for sale!

Once I pick out the winner, I'd be up for some late afternoon drives up the Poudre etc. as I'm done with work around 3/3:30 during the week, and at least one day during the weekends I'm up for some bigger family friendly trips/trails as the entire family wants to see some of these amazing trails Colorado/surrounding states have to offer.

Anyway, hope to meet some of you soon!

- Botkin

Brucker
August 26th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Welcome

Hypoid
August 26th, 2015, 01:14 AM
Welcome aboard!

My wife had 5-year-old twins when I met her. I have been shopping for four-door cars ever since. ;)

xaza
August 26th, 2015, 05:52 AM
welcome to the group

Brad
August 26th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Welcome!

ExplorerTom
August 26th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Welcome.

Had and you moved to Boulder, you would have kept your Subaru. I think it's required.

Chris
August 26th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Welcome to Front Range Botkin!

Jim
August 26th, 2015, 08:11 AM
:steer:

Welcome to the group!

MultiScuf
August 26th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Gelle

The StRanger
August 26th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the dark side...
We have cookies !!!

DoctorDuke
August 26th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Hi there,

I'm in loveland and have a 6 year old. I get this really strange twitch with I try to imagine what having two of them would be like.

I used to climb a lot too - a lot a lot, but I've gotten old and fat - and my hands are too valuable now and barely work from all the old climbing injuries as is. However, I am really interested in getting my 6 year old girl climbing - she's done a few walls and is quite the natural. I'm thinking some easy top roping out side is about perfect for her.

I'd offer to help you look at jeeps, but you'd end up with a 4runner. Which is a good thing, but not what you really asked for. I can definitely help looking one over mechanically if you are looking used - jeep or otherwise. scope and compression test, feel out the mechanical and make sure you are getting a sound truck.

Shadowmaker
August 26th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Twins also here!! Welcome!!

For a few K more.... Consider a JK 2 door wrangler. They are a steal most of the time as most people want a four door. They have a slightly wider stance that gives a few more inches of stability. I put some 4 door rubicon springs on mine and then some 35s as I lucked out and found a 2008 with 4.10s and a six speed. The traction control makes it seem like it is locked an the ride/space is a whole lot better. People complain about the power of the 3.8 but I put a superchips in it and I was pretty darn happy until the twins came along.... After that I had to sidestep to the mini-van Grand.

Jim

Mark
August 26th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Welcome,I have a 98 tj with a two inch lift and 30 inch tires and have been fine on the trails I have done,most people on here will tell you to drive it a bit and see how it does.most jeep can do pretty darn good stock.sound advice these guys put out and all very helpful.let us know what you end up with!

mumdb1
August 27th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Huge thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Still a ridiculous amount of Jeeps out there for sale at that price range, leaning towards the 04'-06' TJU/LJ's just for the cargo space with the twins. Will keep everyone updated, hope to look at some this weekend if anyone is interested!

MultiScuf
August 27th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Mumdb1 Check your message I got time :)

Mr6dwg
August 27th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Welcome to Frontrange.

newracer
August 27th, 2015, 02:58 PM
With 5 year old twins I would recommend a LJ or JKU if you want a wrangler. Otherwise look at a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. TJs don't have a lot of room for four people plus gear.

jayson44
August 27th, 2015, 03:04 PM
welcome! I'd suggest keeping your eyes out for an LJ. like you said, the extra room is nice as is the wheelbase. should be able to find one in your price range. don't worry too much about mileage on the 4.0. they run forever as long as they got oil in them. :)

J.

xaza
August 27th, 2015, 03:36 PM
We just got into climbing back in February and we love it. Our bodies hurt almost everyday but we are getting stronger and healthier each day. We typically climb in the gym in Golden twice a week but look forward to more outdoor climbing once we get our house sold and we move (weekend is dedicated to house time right now). We got rained out on our trip to the Mt Rushmore needles but hope to be back real soon. Have rope and will climb, see you in the hills!

javaman34
August 27th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Welcome to our little slice of Heaven.

Shane
August 28th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Welcome

Jackie
August 28th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Welcome - I have an '08 Wrangler Rubicon that has served me well but I can't even imagine trying to get two car seats into the back of my two door... and when it comes to packing your limited cargo space with ropes, backpacks etc... forget about it without a roof rack. If you go the Jeep route... get a JKU. The bells and whistles added to the Rubicon are great for starters. Maybe you won't even want more. These things are amazing!

ILuvtheMountains
August 30th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Good to have ya! I live in foco too. I have never had a jeep, so I don't know if I could help but I know that I have 2 kids 3 and 2 and if I had anything smaller than the 4dr Tacoma I have, I would be hosed.
I love gym climbing, and am sure I would have loved climbing outdoors even more. Perhaps I will be able to get back into it later.
We should wheel together when you get your rig purchased and ready. Think about a 4Runner, most people that have them love them.

96EXXLTinCO
August 31st, 2015, 09:41 AM
Had and you moved to Boulder, you would have kept your Subaru. I think it's required. LMAO!!

Welcome!!

JFjeld
August 31st, 2015, 10:09 AM
Welcome. I've been a TJ owner for 7-8 years and absolutely love mine; having built it up from stock. But you may be happier with something bigger; at least an LJ. Let me know if I can be of help.

Rick
August 31st, 2015, 10:47 AM
welcome!!!

94ToyBear
August 31st, 2015, 12:21 PM
nice to meet you yesterday !

mumdb1
August 31st, 2015, 05:54 PM
nice to meet you yesterday !

Nice meeting you as well! Hopefully we can get together if I can ever find something to buy :)

dscowell
September 2nd, 2015, 03:50 PM
Howdy

mumdb1
September 3rd, 2015, 12:01 AM
Well, I bit the bullet. We'll see if it bites back later...

Picked up a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara from outside of Vail last night with 90k miles. It's definitely going to be a project car, but I think I got a decent deal on it (if the engine doesn't explode). This Jeep has been used, abused, and used/abused some more, but I'm looking forward to making it my own.

The Good:

2.5" Lift
33" Pro Comp Extremes with maybe 40% tread left (installed)
Full set of 5 35" Pro Comp Extreme M/T's with 60% tread left
Rear Detroit locker on Dana 44
ARB air lockers in front with compressor
Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12,500lb waterproof winch w/ remote
Steering Stabilizer
Dana 30 Chromoly axle shafts
Custom driveshaft
4Wheelin Tire Mount
Power package with AC
3 Piece hard top and soft top

The Bad:

The engine, man, it makes some bad noises, not the best example but https://vimeo.com/137859816 has it at idle, it's really more of a clicking/tapping where as the vid sounds like a exhaust leak, but it's really loud and annoying. Doesn't seem like there is power loss, but I want to get that fixed ASAP. Owner said it's been like that for about 5yrs... never had a issue, but I want that death sound gone. Doing 80mph last night from Vail I averaged 16.9mpg, which I thought was pretty good.

The interior carpets, roll pads, soft top, stock seats are pretty much destroyed. I want to rip it all out and do one of the spray liners and not have any fabric in there (if anyone has any suggestions, let me know, probably rather just have a shop do it as I don't have the space in my garage to pull everything out and paint). I guess the seat covers will do for seats for now.

Anyway, I'd like to get at least the engine looked at/fixed by the end of the month, if anyone knows of anybody that has time to take a look, let me know! Also, I need some cheap 17" wheels to mount these 35's on now that the Jeep passed emissions today (after failing less than an hour earlier because of a old gas cap) ;)

Hoping to see you all on a trail soon, hell, maybe this weekend/Monday!

- BOTKIN

newracer
September 3rd, 2015, 07:45 AM
I'll be selling the Rubicon wheels off my 07 soon.

Cr33p3r
September 3rd, 2015, 08:53 AM
Welcome, my wife and I just bought a new willys and are loving it. You'll be happy with the Jeep.