PDA

View Full Version : leaking wheel bearing !!

dieseldoc
September 1st, 2015, 05:57 PM
ok so I have a 2004 tj sport with the D44 rear.
I am getting diff oil out at the wheel end inside the drum.......so confused
there is no seal hear just a pressed in bearing

has anyone else had such issue?

dont realy want to just rip into it
as its a pressed on bearing I realy dont want to just change a bearing

Hypoid
September 1st, 2015, 07:33 PM
Unless you have some special mojo, you need to buy a new bearing and seal. The seal lives between the bearing and retainer plate, chances are you'll waste the bearing to change the seal.

dieseldoc
September 1st, 2015, 07:52 PM
Ya that whrre I thought it was.......

So I guess I get to tear in to the rear end woo hoo......

Hypoid
September 1st, 2015, 10:06 PM
So I guess I get to tear in to the rear end woo hoo......That is the easy part! Remove the drum, remove the four retainer nuts, pull the shaft... OK, it has been awhile, I don't remember if you have to remove any of the drum brake parts to pull the shaft.

The hard part is putting it all back together. If you have to replace oil-soaked shoes along with the bearing and seal, you are looking at a Franklin you wanted to spend on something else. BUT, before you do anything, put the rear on stands, get the axles spinning, and see if the centers spin off-center...

If you need a press, I am a hop-and-skip from Lakewood. :thumb:

dieseldoc
September 2nd, 2015, 06:01 AM
ya got to check for bent shaft. the rear brakes are not draging or any noise from the leaking side.
but as we are hard on this thing bent shaft is posible.

thanks I may have to take you up on that.....our press at work is shot.....its bent and very very old

otisdog
September 22nd, 2015, 03:22 AM
Here's a write up on how-to. You may have to copy and paste link. You'll need a new bearing, seal and retainer ring. Make sure the retainer plate gets back on the right way - not a problem with drum brakes but the disc brake retainer plate has a lip that must point inward and is different from the drum brake plate.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d44/d44-1.htm

Jim

NOTE - Get Timken set 10 bearing

dieseldoc
September 22nd, 2015, 05:44 AM
Thanks jim

Mr6dwg
September 22nd, 2015, 01:01 PM
Just as a side note, maybe make a note of the oil level. It might be a little too much for it. I make that assertion because I had a similar issue with the front axle seals. It was because I bought a different diff cover and it allowed too much grease to go in there, thus causing the leakage at the seals. I lowered my levels and that stopped.

dieseldoc
September 23rd, 2015, 09:34 AM
This is an intermittent leak at this point.
Heat and level is the issue.
As I am preparing to swap out the axles on my jeep it is so not getting a axle seal.....