PDA

View Full Version : Tighten your stuff...if you can reach it

FINOCJ
September 8th, 2015, 08:28 PM
There used to be a thread somewhere that discussed checking and tightening your pieces under the vehicle. Especially with an old jeep, I try to do this quite often. Been getting a bit of a knocking sound, so checked everything I could. On the way home from my last trail run a couple weekends ago, the knocking got much louder. Time to really dig into it - think I found it....

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag456/jco6560/transmission%20missing%20bolts_zpsk0mydrnu.jpg (http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/jco6560/media/transmission%20missing%20bolts_zpsk0mydrnu.jpg.htm l)

couple missing bolts near the top of the bellhousing that go into the block. Took some hassle (and hour plus) to get the transmission cover pan out to access from through the floor (standard jeep procedure)... Never tried to check those before. Might have to become a yearly check when I do the brake fluid (requires partial removal of the transmission cover pan). Some of the other bolts look to be missing lock washers, so that might help to get those.

Anyway...if you drive old vehicles with lots of mechanical pieces bolted together....check and tighten your stuff...

Chris
September 8th, 2015, 08:55 PM
The original is here -> http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?17040-TIGHTEN-YER-JUNK

But I couldn't agree more with both you and Pete's post. I've been searching for a very annoying squeaking that was intermittent and I couldn't find the source. The other day I was pulling my skids to see if they were rubbing, nope. I was putting my sway bar back on for a road trip with the trailer and I noticed my UCA appeared to be looser than I recalled. I tried to tighten the bolt but it wouldn't budge. Figured I just didn't really see anything new. It still bothered me so I kept an eye on it and, sure enough, a couple days later the bolt was a couple inches out. Turns out my bushing were shot. Much more time and the whole UCA would have come apart.

So, yeah, check your stuff, tighten yer junk, and keep bad things from happening.

EKXJ87
September 9th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Anyway...if you drive old vehicles with lots of mechanical pieces bolted together....check and tighten your stuff...[/QUOTE]

X2 Ive had those same bellhousing bolts work themselves loose along with the rear leafspring bolts, thanks for the reminder I'm going to check everything before the snow/cold arrives.

sunk
September 9th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Lol, I think I have taken a similar photo once...

The StRanger
September 9th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Luckily we have accesses to a hoist so I can check my junk often.

FINOCJ
September 9th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Luckily we have accesses to a hoist so I can check my junk often.

:lmao:need a hoist eh?:D

dieseldoc
September 9th, 2015, 05:36 PM
All I can say is a 30" extention w/ lock on the end and a good whabble impact scocket is you friend.

Java
September 11th, 2015, 08:22 AM
I actually like doing this, I check my Jeep before each run. I keep a set of ramps around and have a mark of my floor for them, it's faster and easier than jacking it up and you can slightly overfill your diffs with the added angle.

Adaa60
September 11th, 2015, 11:09 AM
I almost lost an X-Joint on the drivers front Control arm thing of my Xj a few years ago from not checking my stuff, the set screw had worked itself out and the entire joint assembly came apart while on HWY 36 in the snow. but this taught me 2 lesson's:

1. Check your stuff Before and after beating on it
2. I <3 Blue locktite

FINOCJ
September 11th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Got it back together and took for a quick errand - seems as though that should solve the problem (at least for a while).

Cr33p3r
September 12th, 2015, 06:22 AM
This is something my son Brandon is learning with my old ranger. Since he wheels it harder than I ever planned on doing myself, he's been breaking parts from not checking them after wheeling. I think he's finally figured it out now that he has to replace the steering gear box.

Tom
September 12th, 2015, 07:13 AM
I like the 'if you can reach it' qualifier. Seems to imply that if you can't reach it, it will eventially fail so bad that you will be able to reach it.