PDA

View Full Version : Scuf Has Question

MultiScuf
October 5th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I figured I'll just make 1 thread with multiple questions. Instead posting something everyday an clog up the fourms.

MultiScuf
October 5th, 2015, 07:12 PM
So what are the Best Tow/Trailer Combo out there an Go

GPP33
October 5th, 2015, 10:39 PM
How much do you have to spend? How often will you be towing, will it be your dd, where will you be towing from/to and how impatient are you?

MultiScuf
October 5th, 2015, 11:14 PM
I am pretty patient Looking at 2002-2009 Dodge Ram(I like the look)2500 4drs
Well Right now it all come down to do I keep the TJ or get JKU(There is one down in Text for jeep built by friend I may grab)

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 02:41 AM
Would rather Daily over the TJ of that helps
(I like the look Nissan Titian an the Toyota Tundra)
4dr is must an would prefer a 2500 or 3500

GPP33
October 6th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Are you drunk? Stay on track son. A Titan and Tundra have nothing to do with daily driving your TJ and they are both half tons, not a 2500 or 3500. For towing a TJ a half ton will work fine, you probably won't get double digit mpg while towing and it'll take you a couple extra minutes to get over the mountain passes. The trade off though is that unless you tow a lot (ie just about every weekend) you'll save a bunch of cash, assuming that 2500 or 3500 option is a diesel. Since you'll probably end up DDing the big truck (even though you don't want to) a gasser would be better there as well.

I DD my 03 dodge 3500 6spd oil burner and have zero issues with it so don't write it off. That said an auto 1/2 ton is just a lot easier to drive, I know I wouldn't be happy towing with one though as I'd be right at or above max tow capacity and I'm generally impatient when it comes having to be the first one to the top of the pass (I'm working on that though).

in regards to a trailer my two pieces of advice are a) buy one in very good condition, you'll pay more up front but trailer maintenance isn't cheap and you don't want someone's neglected problem child, and b) price storage if you can't keep it at your house. I have plenty of room but my stupid HOA thinks it'll degrade home values so to storage it goes. I'm getting kicked out of my friends place who's giving me a screaming deal and looking at storage lot prices has me considering just selling the thing and renting when I need to tow.

ColoJeeper
October 6th, 2015, 09:12 AM
You also need to decide the size and capacity of the trailer that you want:

16 Ft
18 Ft
18 Ft with dovetail
3500 Lb axles
7000 Lb axles
Trailer brakes on one axle
trailer brakes on both axles
Brake controller for tow vehicle
Ramp storage vs fold down ramps
Room for toolbox/parts box on bed/tongue
Wood bed
Steel bed
Aluminum
Tiedowns
Stake rails on the side for additional use with racks on the sides
regular fenders
drive over fenders

Think about what you want and what you are going to use it for...

ExplorerTom
October 6th, 2015, 09:39 AM
From my experience, storage will run $30-$45 per month at the places I checked around the Littleton area when I was storing a trailer. The further south you go, the cheaper the storage prices.

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Think about what you want and what you are going to use it for...
Ideally I looking to tow my Jeep and possible one other Jeep.

ExplorerTom
October 6th, 2015, 01:39 PM
So you're looking to tow 2 Jeeps at once?

ColoJeeper
October 6th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Ideally I looking to tow my Jeep and possible one other Jeep.

Two jeeps puts you into the decision of bumper tow versus Goose-neck and 3/4 ton + truck, 35 to 45 foot long trailer which complicates the storage issue.

Have you towed a trailer before? How long of a trailer? Mountain towing?

Rick
October 6th, 2015, 02:50 PM
hmmmm

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Have you towed a trailer before? How long of a trailer? Mountain towing?
Trailer Yes 12ft No

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 04:13 PM
So you're looking to tow 2 Jeeps at once?
Ideally, if its to my much of a worth hasslle than I won't

FINOCJ
October 6th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Obviously has limitations, but have you considered flat towing your jeep (assuming you might be considering running the TJ as opposed to a full-on rock buggy)? Can't tow multiple vehicles, and if you brake something at the wheel hub (or an axle if not full floating) then a trailer is the only way to get it home without repair. Its certainly not the solution for everyone, and can put some additional wear on certain parts, but driveshafts are pretty easy to disconnect and you can tow it pretty easily. Don't need a trailer so that saves some expense, as well as no need to store the trailer, and can tow with a smaller vehicle as there is no toungue weight on the towing vehicle. Of course, its still needs to be able to pull it safely and STOP it safely as well. If you have recovery shackle mounts on front bumper, the tow bar connection can be made where the shackle pin goes. Just another option to cloud your thoughts... Of course if you are considering DDing the TJ, then not sure why you would want or need to tow it anywhere...:)

FWIW I flat tow my old jeep (only about 2500lbs) with my Tacoma (DD) quite comfortably - but I am not the first one through Eisenhower tunnel, and keep it well under speed on the downhills.

GPP33
October 6th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Can you please start proof reading your posts?

Towing 2 rigs puts you in a different world. Can be done with a 3/4 ton gasser and a bumper pull but I wouldn't do it nor would I suggest you try.

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 06:55 PM
But I can get away with towing 1 with the right truck bumper? Would Gas or Diesel be better.

xaza
October 6th, 2015, 07:04 PM
You should use google and narrow down your search. It is everywhere the benefits between diesel and gas, towing capabilities and such. You keep asking us to tell you what you want because you have no clue. You are going in fifteen different directions making it really impossible to help you. You have been reminded numerous times that your rig is more capable than you but you are more concerned with a bigger and badder rig because it is easier than learning how to wheel what you got.

here a link
https://encrypted.google.com/

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 07:25 PM
I am set 3 options... First Option got shot down... Second we are chatting about currently. An the Third to go pick up JKu an build that either from scratch or pick something up

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Either way I looking for something with more space than my TJ work want in 4dr for taking clients around/wheeling its,really hard to have 2 clients in the tj an bring food an other need stuff

GPP33
October 6th, 2015, 07:42 PM
But I can get away with towing 1 with the right truck bumper? Would Gas or Diesel be better.

A newer half ton (Eco boost, current gen tundra, etc) can pull a single vehicle (4k rig + 2k trailer = 6k) just fine. Don't expect to run in the left lane up hills or win any mpg awards along the way though.

If you want to haul 2 rigs go with a diesel and a goose. There was a guy on Co4x4 who used to haul 3 rigs behind a 3/4 gasser avalanche and he survived. Actually, come to think of it I haven't heard from him in a while.....

I really like having a tow rig but if your jeep is built right and you know how to wheel it then it's not necessary. At your age I'd suggest spending your $$$ elsewhere but I'm not your dad. I've seen too many friends build a rig so big that it can't drive on the highway and is no fun on anything but the top 5 trails in Co, they don't wheel anymore because it's too much work to load it on the trailer, find someone that can actually hang with them and drive a few hours to that 1/4 mile trail that's actually fun. There's something fun about being able to drive to that local wheeling spot and just enjoy it. There's also something nice about being able to load it up, put the family in the tow rig and run that trail that's a few hours away.

I love my CTD but I know for how much I tow I'd have been thousands of dollars ahead, and only a few minutes behind, had I gone with a gasser.

ExplorerTom
October 6th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Either way I looking for something with more space than my TJ work want in 4dr for taking clients around/wheeling its,really hard to have 2 clients in the tj an bring food an other need stuff

Get the JKU. Sounds like you need the space more than a tow rig/trailer combo. Keep the JKU streetable.

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 07:51 PM
At your age I'd suggest spending your $$$ elsewhere but I'm not your dad. I've seen too many friends build a rig so big that it can't drive on the highway and is no fun on anything but the top 5 trails in Co

I am not looking do go any bigger than 37s on my TJ and if I go a JKU route I dont wanna go bigger than 38.

There's something fun about being able to drive to that local wheeling spot and just enjoy it.

I would love to travel right to trails but with barely having room in TJ for Clinets I needs to either Buy something else or Tow my rig behind.

94ToyBear
October 6th, 2015, 08:16 PM
I'm curious what you actually do for a living?
At your age you seem to have the doors open for you like no other. I have seen you post some stuff work related but don't actually get what you do.... If you don't mind sharing of course.

GPP33
October 6th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Keep the TJ and get an early 2000 3/4 gasser (exact year will depend on make), provided you can afford 2 trucks and a trailer. If you have a little more cash to spend a 2010ish 1/2 ton would be a little nicer day to day and hauling clients. DDing a jeep on 38s would get old.

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I have no problem sharing what I do I work in Media/Design Concepts.

94ToyBear
October 6th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Elaborate on that please

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Haha When I get home an have keyboard I will explain

dieseldoc
October 6th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Dam man.....you realy do need to focus.
The fact is you have no need to be running a trailer queen.
If you dont want to DD your TJ go get a beater roller skate that gets 30+ MPG and drive the jeep wheen you wheel.
You have a great rig that selling in this market will be hard and for the funds you need out of it to clear the note.....make that dam near impossible.
You need to stick to one rig for more than a year get to know it and learn to wheel.
Swapping rigs all the time will do you no good as they all run different.
On top of all that you will never truely own it if you keep trading and crap.....

You got a good rig why in the crazy bat crap would you be looking to get rid of it.
Got dirt on it a lot!

MultiScuf
October 6th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Again my issues comes to no space in TJ heading to an from trails

dieseldoc
October 7th, 2015, 05:39 AM
No space my ass.....take the back seat out.
Yo7 have plenty of room unless you are hauling a 3rd or 4th person.
Not like you bring a cooler with food or a bag or 2 of tools.

xaza
October 7th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Yo7 have plenty of room unless you are hauling a 3rd or 4th person.

He was saying for work he will have a third and fourth person.

Brandon, if you have other people in your rig you will need to know how to repair your rig and get them out safely. Thus far you have had to rely on others to get you out. Sounds like an awesome gig but you really need to prep yourself for success. Failure to plan is planning to fail. Good luck to you, I know I am a little harsh to you occasionally but I want to see you grow rather than run circles.

MultiScuf
October 7th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Thats my issue is during the week when we are wheeling I have a 3rd 4th person in the back

dieseldoc
October 7th, 2015, 06:01 AM
I have to agree that you need to be prepaired for the trip. Even more so with passengers in the car.
Guess its time for your friends to get there own ride.
I undefstand about bringing some folks out with ya.
But this is not a every trip thing if it is....then you need be chargi g for being a trail guide....

MultiScuf
October 7th, 2015, 06:15 AM
I have to agree that you need to be prepaired for the trip. Even more so with passengers in the car.
Guess its time for your friends to get there own ride.
I undefstand about bringing some folks out with ya.
But this is not a every trip thing if it is....then you need be chargi g for being a trail guide....
Long story short we have clients that come in from all over place its not just friends. An I wish I could but I got long to go before I could trail guide

94ToyBear
October 7th, 2015, 06:48 AM
I have no problem sharing what I do I work in Media/Design Concepts.

I'm still trying to connect what Media/Design concepts has to do with wheeling?

GPP33
October 7th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Sounds like it's just showing them a good time. Back in the day it was common to take customers to strip clubs, this sounds like more fun!

ExplorerTom
October 7th, 2015, 07:53 AM
I am not looking do go any bigger than 37s on my TJ and if I go a JKU route I dont wanna go bigger than 38.

How much axle work is required to make either set up reliable? Even the Dana 44 on the front of a Rubicon is a laughably "upgraded" Dana 30. The unaltered axle tubes bend easily. A tire size that big is going to require a BIG gear. I would assume 4.88 minimum and possibly 5.13. And with the higher you go, the smaller that pinion gets. And then the axle shafts themselves- can they take a tire that big?

Bigger is always better, right?

Back in May I was with 2 JK Rubicons out in Moab- one stock, one with 35s and minor suspension lift. We did Rose Garden Hill (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=128). Not bad for a stock Rubicon.

94ToyBear
October 7th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Sounds like it's just showing them a good time. Back in the day it was common to take customers to strip clubs, this sounds like more fun!

that's what im thinking myself but kinda outa the box to go wheeling on the weekend with people you don't know.
but yeah way better then a strip club, and more affordable from my experiences hahaha

dieseldoc
October 7th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Brandon you go that big on a JKU and you will be reaxling the truck.
The TJ you are at the maximum limits for stock unmodified.
Why do yiu suppose I am putting true D44 front and a 9" rear in mine for 37's
It comes down to reliability
Notice that from 2012 on there is no trail rated badge on the JK!
They cannot hadle that much tire with stock axles.....

ColoJeeper
October 7th, 2015, 01:26 PM
If you are concerned about having a vehicle to transport clients, you need to keep what you have for wheeling and purchase a vehicle that is compatible for your client transportation needs. Your "wheeling" vehicle should never be the vehicle that you need for your employment.

dieseldoc
October 7th, 2015, 01:56 PM
If you are concerned about having a vehicle to transport clients, you need to keep what you have for wheeling and purchase a vehicle that is compatible for your client transportation needs. Your "wheeling" vehicle should never be the vehicle that you need for your employment.

So agree here. You should never have clients in your personal vehicle.
If you want to take them out wheeling then they need rent a jeep.

Java
October 7th, 2015, 05:43 PM
I remember you were sent on a long video / photo shoot to Moab (you *******!) on the company dime, I'm guessing that's the type of media stuff you need to wheel for? Have you considered a Suburban? You'd be able to tow whatever you want, people would be very comfortable, and when you're on location you could sleep in it. There are a lot of lifts available, you could make it a moderate wheeler too. I've been looking for one casually for a while and they are cheap and plentiful. Just a thought.

Jim
October 7th, 2015, 05:59 PM
I'll just say....

LIABILITY INSURANCE

ExplorerTom
October 7th, 2015, 06:07 PM
I'll just say....

LIABILITY INSURANCE

best post of the thread.

GPP33
October 7th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Customers in your car and taking them out for some fun isn't a big deal. But yes, a comfortable nice riding vehicle makes it better for everyone.

dieseldoc
October 7th, 2015, 07:30 PM
LIABILITY LIABILITY LIABILITY

Nuff said

Java
October 7th, 2015, 08:10 PM
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/5257304288.html

http://video.carsforsale.com/vehiclevideo.aspx?vid=257647382

http://images.craigslist.org/00G0G_Z3qH3zOPDs_600x450.jpg

Rick
October 7th, 2015, 09:15 PM
I'll just say....

LIABILITY INSURANCEASK ME!!!!!!!!!!

Java
October 8th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Not picking a side in this silly thread, just asking because it would be useful for all of us to know- Real Estate sales people drive customers around all day, with no extra insurance. On the street. If I have a passenger on Fins n Things are they not covered by my insurance? If I'm working does that change anything? My wife was a PIP adjuster for a major carrier before we started our business and sees no issue, but it's been some years since she dealt with that, has something changed that would mean passengers on trails are not covered the same as on a road?

94ToyBear
October 8th, 2015, 08:58 AM
ASK ME!!!!!!!!!!

I personally been meaning to ask you about that.
P.m. me if you don't Wana post it on here.
Or you don't mind of course

Rick
October 8th, 2015, 09:24 AM
If I have a passenger on Fins n Things are they not covered by my insurance? If I'm working does that change anything? My wife was a PIP adjuster for a major carrier before we started our business and sees no issue, but it's been some years since she dealt with that, has something changed that would mean passengers on trails are not covered the same as on a road? youre covered

dieseldoc
October 8th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Its the on the clock thing that gets sticky.
The coverage is there but the liability for an employer gets stick.

Java
October 8th, 2015, 02:00 PM
So if a Real Estate agent is on the clock but doesn't need any additional insurance do you mean for offroad situations only? I have no idea how insurance sees trails. I could see the driver's insurance possibly trying to recoup from a general business liability policy if the driver was working during an accident, but IDK if either would cover offroad driving. I wonder if pizza drivers can ultimately hold the pizzeria responsible for accidents in private vehicles while working, that's got to come up a lot. Interesting, I may call progressive and ask about passengers on trail rides, that's what really interests me.

Rick
October 8th, 2015, 03:06 PM
my insurance covers if it is a designated road(FS 212 ,china wall for example)

dieseldoc
October 8th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Must be designated road. Must require registration.
Private property gets gray.

The issue with using your personal vehical for work is that it is now a bussiness use.
Thus it becomes a comercial vehical. So the insurance company will want to claim no liability on there end.
Its the usual insurace BS.

MultiScuf
October 9th, 2015, 10:52 PM
So people asking What I do for work. I build/sell design concepts for website-logo along with tv shows an commercials. I also sell health products.
(Sorry we been prepping for EJS)
Thanks for everyone input on insurance I dont think it big issue since they are agreeing too an we not commercial. Is this going be an issue??
()
Thought buying wrecked 2014 with rear smashed needs new panels an axles an shocks maybe frame work dont know thoughts?

GPP33
October 10th, 2015, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't stress the whole commercial liability deal. Millions of people drive everyday for work and aren't considered "commercial". If you research it you'll see all of the exemptions. Better yet, call your insurance company and get the story from the horse's mouth.

Buying a a wrecked vehicle on the other hand is another story. Bad juju. Are we talking about a tow rig or JK? Either way I'd stay away from a salvage title.

MultiScuf
October 10th, 2015, 12:23 AM
JKu 2014 pearl blue

MultiScuf
October 10th, 2015, 12:25 AM
I dont think its salvage vechile was uninsured. They dumped off an now its sitting there

MultiScuf
October 10th, 2015, 12:28 AM
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/11100028

dieseldoc
October 10th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Still salvage.
Bent and all that....stay away.
Vehicals are not the same once they get hit.
Not to mention the cost of fixing it......not worth it.

MultiScuf
October 10th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the tip I will would a blown engine be better?

Java
October 10th, 2015, 08:33 AM
My first Jeep was a salvage 88 YJ, it was stolen in NY and found 3 months later upside down in the NJ Pinebarrens. There was a lot of body damage, the t-case housing was shattered, lots of other small stuff but the frame was straight so it was fixable. That's the biggie, everything else bolts up. I drove it all through college and even moved here from Miami with it, had it for years.

After I sold it and got my LJ I realized it's a lot more fun to make payments on something good and go wheeling than to wrench on a project and spend money on parts. If you think you'll average $500.00 a month or so on rebuilding a project, consider making payments on a new one instead. No smells, no squeaks, everything working, turn the key and go is simply awesome. Just my 2c. :thumb:

MultiScuf
October 10th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the Input Paul I went looked bodys today its just going to be work for me but I kinda want that. I really wanna build its this time so the less mods to it the better

Chris
October 10th, 2015, 05:17 PM
So people asking What I do for work. I build/sell design concepts for website-logo along with tv shows an commercials. I also sell health products.

how about sharing your websites so we can see what you're doing?

MultiScuf
October 10th, 2015, 05:27 PM
how about sharing your websites so we can see what you're doing?

http://www.n2marketingconcepts.com
https://www.siselinternational.com/en/US/home.htm
both companies

MultiScuf
October 11th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Thoughts
http://11212.cleancarsorg.com/mobile/vehicle/18743123

Hypoid
October 11th, 2015, 11:53 PM
That is interesting indeed! High maintenance, but interesting.

http://edgecastcdn.net/003CDD/images/live/DealerImages/293599000/293599433/0.jpg

Jim
October 12th, 2015, 01:02 AM
That's the way to do it for low end power and light weight - smaller motor... super'd!!!

GPP33
October 12th, 2015, 06:53 AM
That is interesting indeed! High maintenance, but interesting.

http://edgecastcdn.net/003CDD/images/live/DealerImages/293599000/293599433/0.jpg

you did see that it's 8 years old and has 112,000 miles right? $17,000 seems a little steep.

ExplorerTom
October 12th, 2015, 07:18 AM
According to NADA, it's actually right in line.

Java
October 12th, 2015, 07:25 AM
that winch has seen a lot of use, and it's got the SC on it, I'd do a big inspection or just pass and look for something more stock. I'd guess they did a return-to-stock before selling it, there was possibly a lift/ tires that were removed, that's common. It is pretty!!

MultiScuf
October 12th, 2015, 07:35 AM
What kind of maintenance is required? What questions should I ask? I was going too call them too an see

MultiScuf
October 12th, 2015, 07:36 AM
I was going to offer 15k

Java
October 12th, 2015, 08:04 AM
I like to think I know what I'm doing with a wrench, but personally I'd bring it to a real mechanic for a proper inspection just because of the mods. $100.00 now could save you a couple of headaches down the road, and you can see so much more on a lift than on your back.

94ToyBear
October 12th, 2015, 08:10 AM
What kind of maintenance is required? What questions should I ask? I was going too call them too an see

I think its great that your asking these questions now.
But if your asking these questions I don't think its a very good idea to be taking people on OHV areas.
I like seeing you ask these kinds of questions !

dieseldoc
October 12th, 2015, 10:04 AM
The supercharged engine will need to be maintained religiously.
The oil cools and lubes the charger.
The caharger will also put more stress on the engine.
112k miles....when did the charger go on?
Will the seller let you take an engine oil sample to have tested?
The test will show how well the engine is doing.....how much of the babett metals are coming off the bearings...
So much to consider with a super charged engine.
How was trans maintained.
Super'd engine makes more heat....heat bad for auto trans....

MultiScuf
October 12th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Its a 6spd

dieseldoc
October 12th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Ok many tranny still has aclutch so how bad is it been burnt.....did they upgrade to a dual disk?
Lots to know about with a supercharger.
They are not as fuel efficient as well. So the low teens are now 9 -10mpg

MultiScuf
October 12th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Well this one is a busted

Robert B
October 12th, 2015, 01:50 PM
i cant think of a supercharger that looks like that that uses the engine oil but they could have changed but if you like it go for it ! nothing wrong with a supercharger as long as they installed a full kit to compensate for fuel and computer and etc its all good. my dads truck lost minimal gas mileage with his and i know of a bunch of them that have many many miles on them no problem ( one has over 200K) and superchargers do not result in burnt clutches lol bad driving does

MultiScuf
October 12th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Oil was bad... An tranny smelled burned...

Robert B
October 12th, 2015, 03:08 PM
i dont even know how you would burn a manual transmission unless they forgot to put oil back in it so it had almost nothing in it lol

MultiScuf
October 12th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Haha I done looking built rigs or semi built looking for srock Rubicon any year I got like till the first...

Robert B
October 12th, 2015, 03:34 PM
the oil milky or something in that jeep ?

MultiScuf
October 12th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I dont know I learned from a couple quick flips that if you can smell something stay away

dieseldoc
October 13th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Best thing you have said yet Brandon. Find a unmodified one.
That way when you have something done you know what it was.
You know how the thing get wheeled at that point as stock will see less rocks.

MultiScuf
October 13th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Does anyone know 2007-2013 Springs are all the same across all model JKu?

Brian
October 13th, 2015, 08:50 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2007-2013+JKU+springs+same

:thumb:

MultiScuf
October 14th, 2015, 01:15 AM
Haha got it figured out... Grabbing my set of springs

MultiScuf
October 16th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Well off I think am going to take vac trip to go pic up my 4dr at the end the month(One the one I have now sells) But yea off we go :)

dieseldoc
October 16th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Good luck.

94ToyBear
October 16th, 2015, 08:08 PM
I'm not one to correct anyone's grammar, but I do my best to fix it if there is something wrong. It is very confusing to read what your saying.

Rick
October 16th, 2015, 10:07 PM
:confused:
It is very confusing to read what your saying turn off your auto correct........

94ToyBear
October 17th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Autocorrect is my enemy but can be my friend sometimes too lol I'll admit I'm one of the worst spellers I know... But I do take the time to re-read what I write expecially when others are taking the time to read what I write help me out.
Not trying to knock you down at all just get a little frustrating.

dieseldoc
October 17th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Just alot frustrating
Half what he types makes no sense.
At least we onow the basic premise of what he is trying to convey

MultiScuf
October 19th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Thoughts on a 3.8 supercharger? Debating on picking on shortly after picking up rig.

dieseldoc
October 19th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Super it if you have the funds....not a cheep mod.
5-6k for the complete kit.

MultiScuf
October 19th, 2015, 05:43 PM
I can get complete get for 3.5ish Complete kit
I also have 4.0 kit for 2.500

ExplorerTom
October 19th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Do it!

MultiScuf
October 19th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I just trying to learn what the benfit to having it will be. What kind work does it require?

dieseldoc
October 19th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Nice.

ExplorerTom
October 19th, 2015, 06:38 PM
I just trying to learn what the benfit to having it will be. What kind work does it require?

more power. And more power sooner. It's similar to a turbo but the power comes on low in the rpms instead of high like with a turbo. Good for offroad when you need power to get up over something.

As as far as install, depends on the supercharger, but it bolts in on top of the intake manifold. You'll probably need to run some water lines (if it's air to water intercooled), get a longer serpentine belt and reflash the ECU for the supercharger- maybe larger injectors. Most superchargers have their oil contained within themselves.

MultiScuf
October 19th, 2015, 06:46 PM
So right now I know it bolt in an go that's all I been told. Buts out about 60hp an 60ish-80ish torque

ExplorerTom
October 19th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Even better.

If you're going to be running big tires, you'll need the power to turn them.

94ToyBear
October 19th, 2015, 07:17 PM

MultiScuf
October 19th, 2015, 07:25 PM
So here the full build plan as sit on paper and in my head as of date:
Dana 60 F/R
4-1 Transfer case (possible atlas)
Custom Drive shafts
3.8 supercharged Manual (Dream engine cost to much haha)
38inch tires
Custom space in the rear

dieseldoc
October 19th, 2015, 09:57 PM
The guys at dana trac are building a prorock80 rear! You will need it with that k8nd of power and tires

MultiScuf
October 19th, 2015, 10:18 PM
The guys at dana trac are building a prorock80 rear! You will need it with that k8nd of power and tires

Really? 60s Front and Rear wont do it?

dieseldoc
October 20th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Get 38" tires a 4 dorr and full of camping gear.....peewee of peterson 4wheel topped scales at 7800#'s
Thas heavy even for 60

Stu
October 20th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Why chance it, go with 2.5 ton rockwells

MultiScuf
October 20th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Haha those so heavy I still have to daily drive this rig...

dieseldoc
October 20th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Right....duces would be funny under a jku....

MultiScuf
October 20th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Yea I not going to get away with Rockwell on a daily soo plans would have be axles that arent going to break me

dieseldoc
October 20th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Well then the JKU is out.....the axle will break. Not if but when.....

MultiScuf
October 20th, 2015, 06:14 PM
I think 60s can handle 300+ horse if build a 3.8

MultiScuf
October 21st, 2015, 12:46 PM
Thoughts on Junkyard items/Engine/Axles

dieseldoc
October 21st, 2015, 01:51 PM
Rebbuild them before run them. As they are unknown....

MultiScuf
October 21st, 2015, 02:02 PM
Is that my only worry?

MultiScuf
October 21st, 2015, 02:08 PM
I looking matching 60s sitting in the yard I debating grabbing them..

dieseldoc
October 21st, 2015, 04:49 PM
Is it a ford front 60?
If not dont bother unless you want to put an Atlas in it...

MultiScuf
October 21st, 2015, 05:37 PM
Chevy but there matching so I thinking atlas

Robert B
October 21st, 2015, 05:49 PM
the chevy ones are getting harder to find ( i cant find one for a decent price) and there are other ways to get a transfercase without buying an atlas but if ya have the money they work :)

MultiScuf
October 21st, 2015, 05:57 PM
Yea it just thought nothing is final yet am just hunting now. My friend thinks I should but a Doubler in a daily...

Robert B
October 21st, 2015, 06:22 PM
there is no space to put a doubler in a 2 door jeep lol the rear drive shaft is already super short and that will take another like 6-10 inches depending on the setup

MultiScuf
October 21st, 2015, 06:31 PM
This for the 4dr my TJ is mine it already has 100:1 crawl

redneck23ms
October 21st, 2015, 10:13 PM
depending on the doubler there is room with a stock wheelbase wrangler. a 231-300 doubler is only about 3/4" longer than a 231 with sye.

dieseldoc
October 22nd, 2015, 06:51 AM
100:1 is a good start. My sami was 230:1 so nice to just inch along.

Robert B
October 22nd, 2015, 11:36 PM
i only run 2/3 of that ratio and i am usually he slowest guy on the trail

MultiScuf
October 23rd, 2015, 09:23 PM
Haha coming with me an ill be the slowest.

Alright so back on too engine.... All input will be great :)

Engine I am looking at:
LS1
LS3
all from junkyardish

xaza
October 24th, 2015, 04:57 AM
you bounce around so much and have so little focus in a direction that I honestly don't know what you are talking about anymore. This for a tow rig, a 4 door or your TJ? Have you looked into what your other drive line options are to go with whatever engine you are looking at? Motor mounts? Adapters? You can answer so many of your own questions if you would just try and search. Kids nowadays are so lazy they want everything handed to them on a silver platter, gave my last silver platter to my daughter yesterday. If you have done some research you should have more focused questions showing that you have done some leg work to get to your answer. An LS has been put into just about every vehicle imaginable at this point so there is write ups on those for sure. I still have the link to google if you want it.

dieseldoc
October 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM
xaxa is on point hrre for sure.
so time doing research will answer many of your ?
Some focus wojld be good too
no matter what all I see is a big pile of money needed to build it!

Rick
October 24th, 2015, 08:55 AM
:bang:

ExplorerTom
October 24th, 2015, 10:01 AM
If you're gonna swap engines, don't ***** foot around: LSA. Done and done.

dieseldoc
October 24th, 2015, 03:10 PM
With the stuff crysler is doing with the hemi there is no ression to not use one.

MultiScuf
October 24th, 2015, 06:10 PM
I have done my research which is why I have narrowed my engine's down to these.... This for My JKU/my Tow rig is set /an my TJ is just got look my lovely couple looking at getting something newer(they have a yj now)

I know LS as go into just about everything that why I feel like it will be the simplest - But I wanna be different so any other engine ideas would be great

MultiScuf
October 24th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Have you looked into what your other drive line options are to go with whatever engine you are looking at? Motor mounts? Adapters?
I know am getting custom mounts made. What are Adapters drawing a blank

94ToyBear
October 24th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Google adapters.... For you application......... Your not ready for this yet. I hope you take your time and learn more about what your doing and realize your plans are years out of being finished unless you have a bucket of cash to dump on it. Keep doing your research.

MultiScuf
October 24th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Google adapters.... For you application.........
You mean engine to tranny adapters? I not worried about that I havent gotten to what Tranny I want

xaza
October 24th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I not worried about that I havent gotten to what Tranny I want
precisely the reason this is way over your head

MultiScuf
October 24th, 2015, 07:05 PM
precisely the reason this is way over your head
I dont think its over my head...
I just don't know if you wanna have Auto or Manual

Whazz going to be my next question but I guess we can just get that outta with the engine too..

94ToyBear
October 24th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Man, I really want to help you like everyone here has helped me with my build, but you really really really need to think and a build as a whole........keep this in mind...your only as strong as your weakest link". That don't mean get the biggest baddest engine, trans, axles it means build it right the first time.
I don't mean to be a hypocrite because of my yota build, 5.3Ls,sm465,np205 Dana 60 14 bolt but I did my best to do research and make a educated guess or question.

Try this....pick an engine, then a trans, then a t case, then a front axle then an rear axle. Then ask hey guys what about this combo. I guarantee everyone Will be. Way more then happy to help or guide you.
It's hard to help you when there or so many big options being tossed out.

xaza
October 24th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Could be a real bummer if you figure out the perfect engine, then plan the transmission and find the perfect one and then put it in to realize you have 6" left for a drive shaft. You got to know what you want or you can't try to build it. You want the experience of an engine swap I think you should start off a little more simple, perhaps a stock rebuilt motor with a mild cam. Get's experience with the basics, what to disconnect, where and why etc? Eliminates the complication of motor mounts, trans mounts, mating transmission, figuring t-case or possibly adapter. Let alone the wiring to make the computer work. This type of job requires absolute detail and focus unless the goal is to half way build a truck and pawn problems off to someone else at a loss.

MultiScuf
October 24th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Man, I really want to help you like everyone here has helped me with my build, but you really really really need to think and a build as a whole........keep this in mind...your only as strong as your weakest link". That don't mean get the biggest baddest engine, trans, axles it means build it right the first time.
Haha I dont take fun outta wheeling I just take the fun outta building :(

I like Auto for some trails an long trips/

But I like Manuals for the trail an for gas

But here is my thought process

Body/Frame - Jeep Wrangler Unlimted
Engine/Trans- 3.8 Supercharger Manual till Engine blows than swapping
Transfer- 4-1 CAse
Axles 44s till I find 60s/money for new ones
Tire size - 38s
Lift- 3in custom fabbed

Robert B
October 24th, 2015, 07:54 PM
dam you guys have issues scuf is here looking for opinions and info and doing the research and yall just insult the hell out of him and then go passive aggressive with the i would like to help but too many options crap . either counter with a question to get more details........ give a big paragraph of info and tips and tricks etc or say nothing lol you have to start the build somewhere ........ you can start at motor all day and then next step is what trans then t-case etc etc down the line .. i see your guys pictured trucks are pretty stock looking but i have adapted so many things and built so many things on mine........ you all are just crushing an imagination and passion instead of helping it...... and just saying motor and trans mounts are really bloody easy longest part is getting the engine to sit where you want on the hoist........ on that note i dont know about the newer 5.7 but a carb or tbi 5.7 will run forever and are stupid simple to fix and can be bought or made so many different ways it will match just about anything you would want :)

94ToyBear
October 24th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Keep on keeping on man.

94ToyBear
October 24th, 2015, 08:14 PM
dam you guys have issues scuf is here looking for opinions and info and doing the research and yall just insult the hell out of him and then go passive aggressive with the i would like to help but too many options crap . either counter with a question to get more details give a big paragraph of info and tips and tricks etc or say nothing lol you have to start the build somewhere ........ you can start at motor all day and then next step is what trans then t-case etc etc down the line .. i see your guys pictured trucks are pretty stock looking but i have adapted so many things and built so many things on mine you all are just crushing an imagination and passion instead of helping it...... and just saying motor and trans mounts are really bloody easy longest part is getting the engine to sit where you want on the hoist........ on that note i dont know about the newer 5.7 but a carb or tbi 5.7 will run forever and are stupid simple to fix and can be bought or made so many different ways it will match just about anything you would want :)

My my 89 YJ. 99 Cherokee 4.0 power train, drive train swapped,SYE, custom shaft, 8.8 LSD, booster master up grade, k5 blower, cavalire seats home made rear bumper 3.5 lift list goes on. May look stock but not really.
My yota was Gona be a simple SAS tuned in to a 5.3LS, sm465,np205 Dana 60 front 14 bolt rear, did all the work my self and thank god I had help from FR members and I would be totally lost if members didn't put me in my place and let me know if I was over my head.

But my point is this, 4 engine options were tossed out there then a 3.8 supper charged is tossed back in.

Sorry if I sound like a BIG a hole I don't mean to be.
I'll keep my comments to my self.

MultiScuf
October 24th, 2015, 08:17 PM
But my point is this, 4engine options were tossed out there then a 3.8 supper charged is tossed back in.

Haha your fine an there I only superchargering my 3.8 cause its free and I dont wanna motor swap till 60s

Robert B
October 24th, 2015, 08:23 PM
that yota build should be nice and not too hard to accomplish :) long as the motor bolts to the transmission and you run leaf springs be a fun project :) i am a fan of the find end product and aim for that right out of the gate whether its all at one time or when you break/upgrade an item go to the end product ( saves alot of money)

94ToyBear
October 24th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Brandon, sorry man Gona sit out on this one. If you need any advice when it come to what I have built mine like your welcome to PM me. Good luck buddy just above all engine, trans, or axles allways keep safety first.

xaza
October 24th, 2015, 08:26 PM
dam you guys have issues scuf is here looking for opinions and info and doing the research

Sorry if it seems that way, but sometimes reality is harsh. He has proven over time that he is very limited in his knowledge. We want to see him dream, that is great. He is also young and won't be able to continue to enjoy off roading if he keeps getting upside down in a vehicle and then selling it. For someone such as you motor mounts are no thing, how is Brandon's welding skills? See I am not meaning to be mean or crush his dream, just being realistic. My truck is pretty much stock, but my knowledge and building level are far above his and I would be in over my head as well. The research has not been done, asking 7 pages of questions going everywhere does not count as research. I can learn ten times as much in half the time searching using google versus forums. Sorry Brandon if you have taken my straight forwardness as crushing your dream, I just keep seeing you try to take bigger steps than what I think you are capable of. I may be wrong, I have only met you a couple times. I recently had an epiphany and realized I was dreaming too big myself and had step back and build myself small goals along the way to maintain encouragement and accomplishment while working toward the bigger dream. I do wish you the best, you are above what I can actually help you with mechanically from experience which is why I am trying to help with planning and reality. I do mean to be helpful.

MultiScuf
October 24th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Sorry Brandon if you have taken my straight forwardness as crushing your dream, I just keep seeing you try to take bigger steps than what I think you are capable of. I may be wrong, I have only met you a couple times. I recently had an epiphany and realized I was dreaming too big myself and had step back and build myself small goals along the way to maintain encouragement and accomplishment while working toward the bigger dream. I do wish you the best, you are above what I can actually help you with mechanically from experience which is why I am trying to help with planning and reality. I do mean to be helpful.

Nah your not hurting me at all. An like I said I doing this steps not all at once. I have some mechanically skill but I know alot shops out there that do great work that will do it right. Lets not talk about my welding skills yet the last thing weld broke :( But I keep trying every time my buddy got scrap laying around the shop. Like I always say nowdays INPUT IS INPUT you arent going to offend me in anyway.

xaza
October 25th, 2015, 07:18 AM
I have some mechanically skill but I know alot shops out there that do great work that will do it right.
I know this has worked for you, but on a Saturday night up in the hills that shop is not going to be able to get you home. As much as I try to stop you from taking too big of a step, I do want to step in and try to push you to take the steps you can. The more stuff you accomplish on your own the better chance you have of getting your rig down yourself when something does break.

dieseldoc
October 25th, 2015, 07:41 AM
My my 89 YJ. 99 Cherokee 4.0 power train, drive train swapped,SYE, custom shaft, 8.8 LSD, booster master up grade, k5 blower, cavalire seats home made rear bumper 3.5 lift list goes on. May look stock but not really.
My yota was Gona be a simple SAS tuned in to a 5.3LS, sm465,np205 Dana 60 front 14 bolt rear, did all the work my self and thank god I had help from FR members and I would be totally lost if members didn't put me in my place and let me know if I was over my head.

But my point is this, 4 engine options were tossed out there then a 3.8 supper charged is tossed back in.

Dont let the rifraff run you off. You have provided good advise and are trying to help get him to focus.
This is not easy with brandon.
But with the few of us that are pushing for it it will happen.

Brandon you have and idea now. Stay with it.
Get your self a cork board.
A pile of 3x5 cards and wright it all down. Engine trnas tcase axles etc put them on the board. This will help you keep on track and will keep track of the related products to each large hard part.
As you get complete you can chage the focus of the build.

moose
October 25th, 2015, 08:02 PM
You want the experience of an engine swap I think you should start off a little more simple, perhaps a stock rebuilt motor with a mild cam.

I agree. I'm new to this forum, but not new to mechanics. An engine swap just for the sake of the experience, in my opinion, is not going to be a good experience. When you change one aspect of a drivetrain, others must be adjusted to compensate. Not to mention if parts are going to line up, adapter plates needed, driveshafts shortened or complete new longer ones purchased...My advice, as far as engine is concerned, look into upper block mods. Meaning, as suggested, a different cam to provide more usuable horsepower. I don't know about Jeeps, but a double roller timing chain or a gear set up might be something to upgrade while you have the cover off to swap out the cam. Install roller rocker arms in the heads (if Jeeps don't already have them, idk) and if desired, look into aftermarket intake manifolds and throttle bodies. That is all I would do and is a great place to start. All parts swapping can be done with the enigine still mounted and is a great way to get intimate with your rig. And when that motor gets too tired, buy a short block (bored out a little more for some extra torque), assemble the upper end with the exact parts you want and then have your engine swap experience. Just my 0.02

MultiScuf
November 7th, 2015, 11:35 PM
If anyone has any leads on set 60s for cheap they dont need to be built/complete. Let me know. I wanna start collecting parts.

Robert B
November 8th, 2015, 02:11 AM
there has been a few over the last 2-3 weeks on CL that were a decent price but still in the 700-1K range there was even some high pinion stuff but the only way to really get them for a cheap price is to junkyard them but they are quite hard to find for the fronts the rears are everywhere also be aware if its a 1998 1/2 and newer ford it will be the 8 X 170 bolt pattern so you need to find a rear to match that to be able to rotate tires and carry a single spare and if you want real cheap old school there's a 60/70 combo 6 lug for sale on CL atm

dieseldoc
November 8th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Boyce equipment in utah.
Has them ready to ship.
But these are passenger drop
You need a 1 ton ford.
Dont mater what years just the solid front.
The super duty stuff is strong
Just not the servicable bearing that most folk are affter.
The older stuff......90-97 is what you realy want.

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2015, 08:16 AM
I remember when I was looking in to Dana 44 and I ask if anyone one had one for sale, Pete Brody said, "that's pretty vague"......at that point in time I had no clue as to what options I can get in a Dana 44, lesson learned lol after that I searched around alot and found out what I really needed and asked, got a way better response.

So what are you looking for? There's Passanger side drop, High pinons, low pinons, king pin, ball joint, driver side HP,LP BJ, KP, watch out for bolt pattern like Robert said,
Also do some research on A rear SRW chevy 1 ton Full floating 14 bolt compared to a D60,D70 or even an 80 and a bet you'll end up wanting to but a FF14bolt SRW.

Also Google Dana 60 bible and really really learn as much as you can from there.

Robert B
November 8th, 2015, 05:06 PM
you will want big tires for a 14 bolt but i can pick like 20 rear 60s a few 70s and i saw a 80 at my UPAP.... they are everywhere but yes the fronts are like adam said many many options

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2015, 07:19 PM
On thing I really like 14s vs 60s is the part out there ! Lots of aftermarket, can Allmost allways fine part at the junk yard or on CL for cheap. The risk break set up is pretty inexpensive. I pulled a 14 at pull n pay, did the disk conversion there, pull the rotors and calipers off another 3/4 ton, paid 130 bicks, bought the caliper brackets for 50 bucks. 180 for a FF, with disk breaks is not bad what's so ever, I ended up finding a pair of Caddy calipers for the park breaks, that was pretty pricey, I think around 300

dieseldoc
November 8th, 2015, 07:52 PM
So the D70 rear realy is the one to get.....:thumb:
Shafts are bigger than the corp14 bolt:cool:
Gear options into 7:12....:cool:
And the housing has far better ground clearance :cool:
And 100# less total poundage. :eek:

But yes he needs be much more detailed in his request for any one know of????

MultiScuf
November 8th, 2015, 07:59 PM
So the D70 rear realy is the one to get.....:thumb:
Shafts are bigger than the corp14 bolt:cool:
Gear options into 7:12....:cool:
And the housing has far better ground clearance :cool:
And 100# less total poundage. :eek:

But yes he needs be much more detailed in his request for any one know of????

alright so i wanna look getting Ford Kingpin for front 8lug
an I wanna stay away from the 14 bolt... so full or semi float 60-80 in rear would be nice. I not running gaint tires I just trying overkill my set so I have less chance of breaking while I am out an about on long trips

MultiScuf
November 8th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I only going to do 4.88s 5.13s as I going to run a supercharger

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2015, 08:06 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?12406-Just-another-SAS-swap-!/page11

I bet your Gona have alot of questions like I did, look at my build thread, maybe some info might help you out.

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2015, 08:13 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/international-harvester/417236-14-bolt-vs-dana-70-a.html#/forumsite/21027/topics/417236?page=2

Good thread for a 14 bolt vs D70

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2015, 08:19 PM
One thing I'm not finding in that thread
is no one mentioned the straddle bearing on the pinion assembly on the 14 bolt. From what I recall, a 60, or 70 do not have a straddle being

http://billavista.com/tech/Articles/14-Bolt_Bible/index.html

94ToyBear
November 8th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Here's another good link for the 14 bolt.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup/

dieseldoc
November 8th, 2015, 09:01 PM
No stradle bearing in any dana under the 110.
The ford stuff will be ball joint.
You would have to find a f450 from 96-99to get a kingpin.
Dont get me wrong they are out the for ford but few and fewer.
If you want with the 96-98 f350 srw you would have a d60 with asterling 10.25 rear.

The marron tj at the anual was a set of these....they work well smaller diff than the 14 bolt
And good gear selections.