PDA

View Full Version : Welder wanted

Mark
October 6th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I thought there was a guy in the club that welds?lookng for someone to make me a double bar rear bumper for my tj would like it to be similar to the front one.tks Mark

ColoJeeper
October 6th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Not speaking for any of the fabricators here that are members, but for what you want, you can find new online starting around $ 150 and going up, which is probably less than or equal to what the fabricators would charge to make a similar item.

Rick
October 6th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Brucker and SkinnyFab

GPP33
October 6th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Just buy one. Most fab shops probably won't have a die that big to bend the tube. Not much demand for that size tube in our world.

Edit: I guess an exhaust shop could probably bend it, you'd probably still be money ahead by hitting 4wp though.

dieseldoc
October 6th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Ya what they a said.

EKXJ87
October 8th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Not sure if this will fit your jeep ? As I only speak XJ.
Found it on Rusty's Offroad in the sale/clearance section.

Serious Offroad
October 9th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Hi!
My name is Chopped Liver.....
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/Exterior/Bumpers-Steps/Rugged-Ridge/Bumpers

96EXXLTinCO
October 9th, 2015, 07:58 PM
I'm sure xaza will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Aaron (Brucker) made his exo-cage out of 2"? Harbor freight sells a bender that goes to 3", so I'm sure it would not be tough to find a shop with a far better bender that can handle up to 3", although I'm willing to bet that Aaron's does. Just judging from your avatar Mark, I'm guessing your front is 3"? And if you dont need any bends at all, I can help you build one. I just don't have any way to make nice bends.

Mark
October 13th, 2015, 07:23 PM
I'm sure xaza will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Aaron (Brucker) made his exo-cage out of 2"? Harbor freight sells a bender that goes to 3", so I'm sure it would not be tough to find a shop with a far better bender that can handle up to 3", although I'm willing to bet that Aaron's does. Just judging from your avatar Mark, I'm guessing your front is 3"? And if you dont need any bends at all, I can help you build one. I just don't have any way to make nice bends.
Yes my front is 3 inches.looking for something straight nothing fancy,also want to find some 3 inch exhaust type pipe to make a snorkel.saw one on you tube that was pretty sweet.that guy had a double snorkel set up using 3 inch exhaust pipe.dont think pvc would look very good.let me know Tks mark

GPP33
October 13th, 2015, 09:10 PM
If you're looking for something with no bends that's a different story. Do you have some pictures of what you're looking for? Lots of us could help weld something up for not much more than some beers.

As for the snorkel you should probably spend some time thinking about how many water crossing you're going to find in Co that require one (I can't think of any) and what the price is that you're going to pay for making your engine try to breath through a straw. If you are wondering what that feels like go to a pool store and buy a snorkel, then run around the block trying to breath through it. There's a time and place for snorkels, and Colorado ain't high on that list. To each their own though.

Chris
October 13th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I agree about the water crossings but find a snorkel is a great way to put your intake above the dust/dirt (which we have plenty of) when driving behind anyone. Had one on my old truck and would do it again.

Jim
October 13th, 2015, 10:42 PM
The "there's no deep water in CO" was my perspective until Chris told me of the dust issue.

I can TOTALLY see one to reduce air filter dust (I'm amazed how often mine could be cleaned and the jeep is just a weekend road-trail vehicle).

96EXXLTinCO
October 14th, 2015, 01:53 AM
looking for something straight nothing fancy

Easy squeezy. I'd have to see that video you're talking about on the snorkel to weigh in with an opinion on making it and the best way to go about it though.

GPP33
October 14th, 2015, 06:48 AM
I agree about the water crossings but find a snorkel is a great way to put your intake above the dust/dirt (which we have plenty of) when driving behind anyone. Had one on my old truck and would do it again.

It would be interesting to see a compression in the amount of dust collected. Probably an impossible test to actually run though, at least economically. The dust plume coming out of HC last weekend was easily 20 feet high. I'm sure it was thinner up higher but I'm not sure the 3ft from a snorkel would have made a difference. Every road is different though I guess. Would a prefilter accomplish the same thing at a lower price point?

Mark
October 14th, 2015, 09:22 AM
It would be interesting to see a compression in the amount of dust collected. Probably an impossible test to actually run though, at least economically. The dust plume coming out of HC last weekend was easily 20 feet high. I'm sure it was thinner up higher but I'm not sure the 3ft from a snorkel would have made a difference. Every road is different though I guess. Would a prefilter accomplish the same thing at a lower price point?
Was intending to use snorkel moreasram air!.i would not go thru anything deeper than a foot or so anyway.iam after outside cooler air for you intake Vrs the heated air under the hood iam now getting,already increased my stock filter box from the stock inch and a half opening to three inches and ported it out the side of the hood and notice the improvement at higher speeds on the highway.wont make a huge difference four wheeling but getting there will be a bit easier.

Mark
October 14th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Was intending to use snorkel moreasram air!.i would not go thru anything deeper than a foot or so anyway.iam after outside cooler air for you intake Vrs the heated air under the hood iam now getting,already increased my stock filter box from the stock inch and a half opening to three inches and ported it out the side of the hood and notice the improvement at higher speeds on the highway.wont make a huge difference four wheeling but getting there will be a bit easier.
Here's what I have done so far just to see if the extra airflow would help

Chris
October 14th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I don't think you'll get much benefit from ram but getting the intake from the hot engine compartment should help - cooler air/greater density. After tearing out my wheel well liner my intake was exposed so I removed a section making my intake under the hood. I can't say I've noticed a change but the cooler weather may be why.

Mark
October 15th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Was wondering what type of pipe I need for the bumper?

Mark
October 15th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Was wondering what type of pipe I need for the bumper?
Here's a very rough scketch of what iam thinking.

GPP33
October 16th, 2015, 07:13 AM
You want tube, not pipe. With available pipe wall thickness it'll weigh a ton. Pick up some 3" OD x ~ .090 wall tube and you'll be set.

96EXXLTinCO
October 16th, 2015, 01:34 PM
with 8ft of 3" x .125 (1/8") wall your looking at around 35lbs. to make a rear bumper including caps and some flat strap between the tubes to hold em together. 1/8" at least gives you some kind of strength with not a lot of weight. HREW (hot rolled electric welded) is all you would need and is the cheaper of the tubing making processes.

Mark
October 16th, 2015, 01:59 PM
with 8ft of 3" x .125 (1/8") wall your looking at around 35lbs. to make a rear bumper including caps and some flat strap between the tubes to hold em together. 1/8" at least gives you some kind of strength with not a lot of weight. HREW (hot rolled electric welded) is all you would need and is the cheaper of the tubing making processes.
Question now is where do you buy something like that?

dieseldoc
October 16th, 2015, 05:30 PM
altidue steel is open on saturday.
metal mart mon-fri
dencol mon-fri they are more of structural and decorative steel supply.

GPP33
October 16th, 2015, 06:35 PM
altidue steel is open on saturday.
metal mart mon-fri
dencol mon-fri they are more of structural and decorative steel supply.

Last time I was at DenCol they didn't have any round tube. You might want to call around first.

Hypoid
October 16th, 2015, 09:03 PM
You can try K&K surplus, not sure what they have on hand...

http://www.kksurplus.com/

scout man
October 16th, 2015, 09:23 PM
To my knowledge Altitude doesn't carry tube either, since they have no indoor storage and tubing is expensive (what they told me years ago). I get mine from Tube Services in Aurora. I have never been thrilled with their customer service, however I keep going back there since they seem to be the only place in town that knows how to answer their damn phone, and they usually have what I need.

dieseldoc
October 16th, 2015, 10:29 PM
I bet it was pipe I saw at altitude.

Tube services I will remember that.

DoctorDuke
October 17th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I have one... You can have it. 100% free if you come and get it.

Looks like this but a little rougher - sand & grind the chrome and paint and you are in business.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/65865/65865-md.jpg

I have can weld it to some mounts for you too, it was for a late 80s toyota pickup/4runner don't know how close the mounting brackets are but we can make it work.

Mark
October 17th, 2015, 12:45 PM
That would be great! Iam free tomorrow anytime or Monday.just let me know what works for you?tks mark

96EXXLTinCO
October 17th, 2015, 05:33 PM
I have one... You can have it. 100% free if you come and get it.

Looks like this but a little rougher - sand & grind the chrome and paint and you are in business.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/65865/65865-md.jpg

I have can weld it to some mounts for you too, it was for a late 80s toyota pickup/4runner don't know how close the mounting brackets are but we can make it work.

And that's how you do that!!! Very generous and thoughtful of you Duke. That makes the job, and the price as easy, and cheap as it can be!! And we all like easy and cheap, much how I like my....................nevermind.....

Mark
October 19th, 2015, 07:18 AM
And that's how you do that!!! Very generous and thoughtful of you Duke. That makes the job, and the price as easy, and cheap as it can be!! And we all like easy and cheap, much how I like my....................nevermind.....
Just wanted to thank you again for your generosity! Really appreciate giving me the bumper,with a little work it will look great and match my front.good luck on you build its gonna be sweet when finished.

DoctorDuke
October 19th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Just wanted to thank you again for your generosity! Really appreciate giving me the bumper,with a little work it will look great and match my front.good luck on you build its gonna be sweet when finished.

No Problem. I'm glad I didn't scrap it before.

Mark
October 19th, 2015, 02:18 PM
:)Okay here's the almost finished product,just need to locate brackets and attach.

The StRanger
October 19th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Nice.

DoctorDuke
October 19th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Yeah, looks good. I should have made you take the nerf bars/ rocker panel / step ones too. If nothing else having a spare set laying around is never bad.

moose
October 24th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Recently moved here and don't know any local suppliers, but SummitRacing is a good source for exhaust pipe.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/exhaust/section/exhaust-pipes-flanges-and-turndowns?N=4294948820%2B4294918798&PageSize=25&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

(http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/exhaust/section/exhaust-pipes-flanges-and-turndowns?N=4294948820%2B4294918798&PageSize=25&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending)

Mark
October 26th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Okay! I have the bumper and new bracket location ready to go.now I just need somebody that welds.i need to weld brackets off my old bumper welded to the tube bumper.looking to do this one day this week.hopefully someone close to westside--i.e. Lakewood,and shoot me a price.