PDA

View Full Version : snow tires: studded vs non

jayson44
October 13th, 2015, 10:35 AM
anyone have experience using both studded and non (studless) tires on their cars? we had studded last winter, but I just found a cheap used set on Craigslist and didn't do any research. this year, I got an almost brand new set of Blizzaks for a screaming deal, but they're studless. any opinions on whether they'll have the same performance as the studded ones? they're going on my wife's Subaru.

I've watched a few videos on TireRack.com about how the new studless tires perform pretty much the same as studded because of the new tire technology. I just wanted to hear some real-world feedback if it was out there.

J.

ExplorerTom
October 13th, 2015, 10:53 AM
I haven't done any back-to-back testing, but I would say that studded work better than studless winter tires. BUT, that's not to say that studless are junk. Studless aren't far behind studded and don't have all the noise on dry pavement. IMO, studless are the way to go for anyone who is going to see mixed conditions (dry, snow, ice...).

The studded tires I don't remember what brand they were. I bought them used and only used them for a winter before going to studless. I've used Hankook iPike and Michelin X-Ice and was very pleased with both. The iPikes got VERY loud on about their 3rd winter on dry pavement. I ran the X-Ice for about 5 winters and one summer before selling them.

I did a demonstration drive at the Denver Gran Prix (back in about 2003) on the ice at the Pepsi Center. Bridgestone was a race sponsor and had something set up where you got to drive a small SUV (it was like a Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V) with their best all season tires from one goal line up to center ice and then lock up the brakes and let the ABS do its thing. Then you got to drive the other car with Blizzaks. The Blizzaks got to center ice first and stopped shorter than the other car every time.

I think you'll be thrilled with the Blizzaks. I have a friend in WI that has been using them for the last 15 or more years (lots of different sets- they don't last that long).

jayson44
October 13th, 2015, 01:21 PM
thanks, Tom. that's just the kind of info I'm looking for. we have a separate set of wheels that these will go on so I can swap the summer and winter tires to keep them both nice.

I am leaning towards keeping the Blizzaks and seeing what they're like, since I'd have to go to the hassle of finding another set after selling these.

J.

The StRanger
October 13th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Was selling tires for years. Stud less tires get a as good of traction as studded.
The big diffidence is, stud-less tire wear fast. Usually get one year of driving.
Studded snows you can get like 3 to 5 years.
I used to have folks buy Blizzacks every Nov...
The flip side is, Studded tear up the road and tarable traction on dry roads

ExplorerTom
October 13th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Studless wear fast above 60 degrees. If you only run them in cold weather, they'll last many seasons. Got 3 winters out of my iPikes and 5 out of the X-Ice. Ran them basically November through April each year.

sdswingr
October 13th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I ran run studless on my Subaru, and have no complaints...probably wouldn't go with studs unless I was always driving on ice.

The StRanger
October 14th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Studless wear fast above 60 degrees. If you only run them in cold weather, they'll last many seasons. Got 3 winters out of my iPikes and 5 out of the X-Ice. Ran them basically November through April each year.

True. And the biggest things
Rotate and air pressure !!!!

FINOCJ
October 14th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Run a set of studless Michelin X-ice on all wheel drive Honda Xtour. Never had a problem on snow and ice and head to the mountains every weekend during ski season. Can't compare to studs - never have run them but never felt the need to either.

My main comment is that I got 45k miles on them I leave them on all year. They could have gone just a bit longer, but with winter coming up I just bought and put on the new pair on last week. Don't know if you guys consider that good wear or bad, but just wanted to give a number. To me, 45k miles is awesome on a snow tire that is driven year round here Colo (albeit more miles in the winter than summer).

FINOCJ
October 14th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Ooops - double post

Patrolman
October 14th, 2015, 07:03 PM
I use the Hankook studded on my wifes car as well as my truck. They are fantastic tires and I only drive on studded tires in the Winter. The studded tires in my opinion are very hard to beat.

In regard to the Blizzacks, I used to do the ice racing in Georgetown. I ran in the studded class for at least one season. The Blizzack was such a good tire that they were forced to run with the studded tire class rather that the bare rubber class. They were very competitive still.

As one other stated, the studded tires do not stop nearly as well on dry pavement, particularly on concrete. In my truck it is rather easy to lock up the tires with the studded tires on (no ABS).