PDA

View Full Version : What did I See?

Chris
October 25th, 2015, 06:39 PM
I was driving on the freeway behind a Jeep (I don't know Jeep models) at about 70 mph when it suddenly started blowing white smoke. It was bad - total white-out along with my getting hit by what sounded like sand. It lasted seconds as the Jeep pulled off the road.

Blown head gasket? That was my first thought but the "sand" doesn't seem right.

Due use to traffic and speed I wasn't able to pull over. :(

Anyone able to fill me in?

Jim
October 25th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Was your windshield covered with slimy fluid (coolant)?

Was the blowing white smoke from the tailpipe or the underside mostly or "all over"?

Chris
October 25th, 2015, 07:16 PM
No fluid at all, the smoke was coming from under the hood. I guess that eliminates my idea.

In a matter of 5 seconds I was enveloped in smoke.

It kind of reminded me of when I blew my auto tranny as far as the quantity of smoke.

Jim
October 25th, 2015, 07:37 PM
My guess:

Piston / crank / wrist pin seized and punched a hole through the water jacket onto hot exhaust piping (thus the large quantity of white smoke). The pelting of sand - bits of aluminum block hitting the ground at speed and bouncing up to you.

Chris
October 25th, 2015, 07:43 PM
That works for me Jim. My sympathy for the owner.

The StRanger
October 25th, 2015, 09:12 PM
My sympathy for the owner.

Yup. Sounds expensive..

Spieg
October 25th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I once ran into a bag of concrete mix that had fallen off a truck ahead of me on the highway. Made a big mess similar to what you describe (as well as wiping out most of my front suspension). Could it have been something like that?

Chris
October 25th, 2015, 09:53 PM
No, it was definitely a motor issue. I would have run into vet the same thing.

Theteener
October 28th, 2015, 07:49 PM
What color Jeep? Sounds like my coworker last week - Throttle cable popped out somehow. Think the smoke was oil / grease from somewhere.