PDA

View Full Version : 8th Annual Turkey Run Saturday 11/21/2015 9:00AM for Homeless

Patrolman
November 7th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I am proud to say that this would be the 8th year that we are conducting this run! This has been a great opportunity to get together in the past, without truly doing a "run", and I am sure this year will be great! It is a great social event, and a good way to give back to the community.

The date is set for Saturday November 21st at 9:00AM. We will meet at the Conoco on Auraria Parkway, which is at the South edge of the Pepsi Center parking lot.

If you get off on Auraria from I-25, make your first left. If you are coming in from I-25 via Speer, you will have to head West just a bit on Auraria and the Conoco is on the right. It is literally on the edge of the Pepsi Center parking lot. Address is 1500 7th Street in Denver, CO 80204.

What does the shelter do with all the turkeys you ask? They need 15,000 birds to feed homeless who come into the shelter, distribute to other smaller shelters (DRM is the biggest shelter in Denver) which may run low on birds, distribute to low income families, etc. Basically, they make sure that everybody who needs a meal at Thanksgiving gets one, regardless of their situation.

The shelter also needs other items including but not limited to canned goods, dry food goods, clothes, coats, blankets, hats, gloves, sleeping bags, personal hygiene items, etc. My understanding is that they accept nearly anything except appliances.

Here is the address/site info for the Denver Rescue Mission. You can map in advance, or if you can't make the run or give stuff to someone else, drop off at your convenience. You can also donate online via Paypal.
https://www.denverrescuemission.org/Turkey

At this time, if people are agreeable, we will plan a breakfast afterwards. Post if you plan to attend for the donations and/or the breakfast. In the past we have eaten at the Denver Diner, which has a fair amount of parking and is easy to find. I am open to alternatives as well. I will likely have my daughter with me. We can stick around for about an hour for breakfast, but might have to take off a bit early.

Patrolman
November 7th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Current prices for turkeys, which isn't likely to change, are $.69 per pound (Kroger house brand) at King Soopers. That totals $14.00 for a 20 pound turkey, which is on the average to large size. When I stopped by the other day to buy a turkey, the largest they had was 12 pounds which was under $10.

Safeway has a deal where you can get a turkey for free. With a purchase of $100 or more you get a free turkey under 16 pounds. With a purchase of $150 or more you get a free turkey of 16 pounds or more.

I don't have any other ads at this time, so if anyone has Albertsons or Walmart, please feel free to post.

Jim
November 7th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Count me in!

javaman34
November 7th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I'm going to try to make it. I work nights and on Saturday. I get off work at 2:00am on Saturday morning, but I will see if I can get off early so I can make it. Right now, count me in.

Patrolman
November 7th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Hope to see you there!

Patrolman
November 11th, 2015, 06:02 PM
King Soopers is still $.69 per pound for their birds. I stopped by, and all they really had were the 12/13 pound turkeys.

Safeway has matched the price and is now $.69 per pound as well. I believe Albertsons has the same $.69 per pound price, but maybe someone can confirm that.

Patrolman
November 19th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Prices are still at $.69 per pound at Kings, Safeway, and apparently Albertsons.

On a side note, it is supposed to be COLD on Saturday morning! Dress warm!

Java
November 19th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I'm counting on it being cold, I have no freezer room so I'm shopping Friday and leaving the turkeys in the car overnight. :thumb:

Patrolman
November 19th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Great minds think alike. I think it is going to be colder out on Friday night than it would be in my freezer!

Java
November 20th, 2015, 05:27 PM
This day got away from me and I have too much infront of me to get away. I'm making a donation on the site, https://secure3.convio.net/drm/site/Ticketing;jsessionid=00000000.app340a?view=Tickets&id=100101&NONCE_TOKEN=6F2F516C99046AB445E423153FC7D4BD, it's a good cause and only $20.00 a bird. :thumb:

Jim
November 20th, 2015, 06:00 PM
I'm ready - see folks in the morning!

Jackie
November 20th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Drive safe out there. It took me over an hour to drive 5 miles to get home from the doctor today. No idea what the problem was, but it was SLICK.