PDA

View Full Version : Used ARB: is it worth it?

SketchyXJ
November 12th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I have a chance to buy a used ARB for my Dana 44, but there is some very obvious damage to the differential case surface. Possibly caused by gear failure? But I'm not positive. I plan on bench testing it before I purchase, but this surface damage is my major concern. I've posted a few pictures. Any input on whether this damage makes this an unusable unit would be awesome! Thank you!

Brucker
November 12th, 2015, 03:17 PM
As long as the housing isn't cracked, or any of the seals haven't gone bad, it should be alright. Also make sure that the mounting surface for the ring gear is flat and without any damage. Make sure you can test it beforehand, and then also know that it is a used part, and as with any used item, you run the risk of it failing at any point.

That being said, at $160, I personally would take the chance if it tests out ok. I have run two different ARB carriers that looked like that for many years. I was the one that damaged them while destroying gears in Toyota 3rds. The ARB carriers are fairly strong.

SketchyXJ
November 12th, 2015, 03:44 PM
As long as the housing isn't cracked, or any of the seals haven't gone bad, it should be alright. Also make sure that the mounting surface for the ring gear is flat and without any damage. Make sure you can test it beforehand, and then also know that it is a used part, and as with any used item, you run the risk of it failing at any point.

That being said, at $160, I personally would take the chance if it tests out ok. I have run two different ARB carriers that looked like that for many years. I was the one that damaged them while destroying gears in Toyota 3rds. The ARB carriers are fairly strong.

Thanks for the reply! I'll take a look at the ring gear mounting surface and make sure I have what I need to bench test the locker. I really appreciate your input. I'll be looking at the unit this weekend, so hopefully all goes well!

Jim
November 12th, 2015, 04:24 PM
If you could open it up to inspect the engagement teeth before purchase - or at least after purchase - I would.

redneck23ms
November 12th, 2015, 05:19 PM
what aaron and jim said! the visible damage is no issue as that is from gear failure and on't affect the locker as long as the ring gear flange is still good. but it would be best if you could open it up and take a look. at that price even if it needs a part its still a deal.

Patrolman
November 12th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Is that for a Dana 44 or Ford 9"? I had posted a link to the ad under "Cool Finds" but it had said in the ad that it was a 9". Maybe the original listing as wrong?

SketchyXJ
November 13th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Thank you for your input! I went and looked at the locker today! It'll need new seals and a seal housing, but everything else is in order! Plus, I was able to get the locker and a compressor for $120! :) I've got some more parts to collect and some research to do, but I'm pretty stoked about this find! Thank you guys again!

SketchyXJ
November 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Is that for a Dana 44 or Ford 9"? I had posted a link to the ad under "Cool Finds" but it had said in the ad that it was a 9". Maybe the original listing as wrong?
the original post was for a 9 inch, but it ended up being out of a 44! I counted some splines and double check a couple measurements to verify that is what it was :)

SketchyXJ
November 13th, 2015, 01:45 PM
the original post was for a 9 inch, but it ended up being out of a 44! I counted some splines and double check a couple measurements to verify that is what it was :)

Patrolman
November 13th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Lucky find! If I had known it was a 44, I would have bought it myself! I don't have a Ford 9 inch, so I figured it would be of any use to me.

Rick
November 13th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Plus, I was able to get the locker and a compressor for $120! I've got some more parts to collect and some research to do, but I'm pretty stoked about this find! Thank you guys again!Awesome

88Toy
November 14th, 2015, 08:04 AM
You're gonna love the ARB. One thing I can offer is while you have it apart, check the spider gear shafts. Some older ones have double opposing spiral oil grooves that create a stress riser where the grooves intersect. The replacement shafts have a single spiral groove.
http://pics.montypics.com/88ectoy/2015-11-13/1447512933_shaft1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture, but you can see the grooves.

88Toy
November 14th, 2015, 08:27 AM
And while we're on the subject of loose parts flying around inside there, I've found the screws for the seal housing loose and those press-on locking tabs for the carrier bolts had to go.
Overkill, maybe, but I hate having to rebuild due to a maintenance failure.
http://pics.montypics.com/88ectoy/2015-11-14/1447513932_arb_2.jpg

Jim
November 14th, 2015, 10:38 AM
And while we're on the subject of loose parts flying around inside there, I've found the screws for the seal housing loose and those press-on locking tabs for the carrier bolts had to go.

+2 This was the failure issue of my front ARB.

Ultimately, I take the blame for not pulling the front diff cover when I purchased the jeep (the prior owner said the fluids had been changed - either a liar or really clueless). One cap bolt ended up being slung between the ring & pinion gears and that was it.

------

That price for the 44 with compressor - a good buy!