PDA

View Full Version : Stacking tool boxes

Brucker
December 17th, 2015, 01:53 PM
I have been out of room in my shop for some time and am always looking for ways to gain more space without spending too much money. I have been considering stacking a couple of my roll cab tool boxes together. Take the wheels off one and stack it like it was a top box. This would save me a lot more floor space, but I would have to use a ladder to get to most of the top half of the drawers than. This sounds like a pain. Really don't feel like buying another top box as I am out of room in my current boxes and top boxes offer less room than bottom ones. And I mostly work out of tool carts so the tool boxes are kinda like a tool crib anyways. Meaning I wouldn't have to break into them often.

Anyone done something like this? Any thoughts to share?

Below is a photo of my current set up. Am thinking of stacking the two SnapOn boxes.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UM0VHvnMaao/VnMeQPXqx0I/AAAAAAAAYpE/Eu9IbLY3bmI/w958-h539-no/2015-12-16_19-21-56_194.jpg

Edit: yes one drawer is out while I replace its slides.

redneck23ms
December 17th, 2015, 05:28 PM
havent done it but i don't see why it wouldn't work. could also take the wheels off of the bottom one (and the new top as well but that is a given) and gain access to a couple more upper drawers without a ladder.

Hypoid
December 17th, 2015, 05:37 PM
If you were to "donate" one, or more to me, you would have more floor space. :D

dieseldoc
December 17th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Stack them and put the little used stuff up high.

I feel ya about the box issue....mine is stuffed and I have tools on the floor in a milk create.
I cant justify the cost on a roll cab right now.

Hypoid
December 17th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Check the weight rating of the cabinet you want on the bottom...

dieseldoc
December 18th, 2015, 08:43 AM
His big cad is a maximizer....it can handle it. The top cabs for them are near the sixe the bottoms are.

Brucker
December 19th, 2015, 06:02 PM
His big cad is a maximizer....it can handle it. The top cabs for them are near the sixe the bottoms are.

Check the weight rating of the cabinet you want on the bottom...

Interesting, never heard of a Snap On box referred to as a Maximier before. Thought that was just a Mac line. Thanks for the input. Someone on another board suggested I check the weight rating as well. Which I did and I should be fine. The big box is a Snap On KR-1000A. It is 53" wide, has 27" deep drawers and is 46" tall. It's a pretty big box and is rated for even more,
34, 158 cu in capacity
9,687 sq in capacity
2,500 lb weight capacity

dieseldoc
December 19th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Bruckner....
The box on the right the wide one has the hallmarks of the maximizer line that snap on has not made for 5 plus years.
Your box that hasa missing drawer is the same line as I have.
Snapon did a promo photo shoot with 6 boxes and a kenworth T800 dump truck on top of them....
So if 6 boxes can hold up 50k# I think you can stack these and be just fine.

Brucker
December 19th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Bruckner....
The box on the right the wide one has the hallmarks of the maximizer line that snap on has not made for 5 plus years.
Your box that hasa missing drawer is the same line as I have.
Snapon did a promo photo shoot with 6 boxes and a kenworth T800 dump truck on top of them....
So if 6 boxes can hold up 50k# I think you can stack these and be just fine.

You like to keep referring to me as "Bruckner". But my name is actually Brucker. No "N". Think Trucker or F@#$Ker but with a "B" instead of the "T" or "F".

I know the Ad you are speaking of. Here is a link: http://www1.snapon.com/display/901/WWW/Downloads/CatalogPages/CAT1000i_Tool_Storage.pdf
They used Snap On KRL series boxes. Those were never called "Maximizers". Mac Tools has the only series of tool boxes called Macsimizer that I, or google for that matter, know of . Here is a link to the Mac site: http://www.mactools.com/en-us/Tool-Storage/Workstation/e2754766-c0a8-4193-9831-a30d012c9764/Macsimizer-11-Drawer-Workstation-MB1350
Both my Snap On boxes are a KR series. Little older than the KRL series but the KR1000A was the biggest they produced at the time. Maybe you were thinking of Snap On's "Master" series?

Back to the main subject. Would love to get some input from someone, or a couple people really, who work out of massive boxes. I can see how having to get a step ladder out every time you need into the upper drawers would be a pain in the butt. Also lose the functional top space as a work surface/counter top. Anything else I am missing? May be irrelevant soon as I am trying to make due without stacking or buying anything new. But would be nice to have as an option for the future. So I guess what I am saying is, I know it is possible, just trying to figure out if it would be a good idea or not?

dieseldoc
December 19th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Sorry for the miss spelling of your name.
I would have to see my budies box again...it was his dads box so way older one....but it had snapon and maximizer on it....so confussed with that....as I am finding the same thing you are line...

Jackie
December 28th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Do you have shelving you can utilize? Build some heavy duty ones. My husband built these in the shed as well as the garage of our old house and it was the very first renovation project to our current house.Fabulous space savers! Build them as high as you can and get a 4 ft. step ladder. Easy. (But remember to save a couple shelves for the wife ONLY. This is a key issue because if you screw up... her shelving landscape will magically grow and many of your tools will be in a pile on the floor or... somewhere...)!!!:p

88Toy
December 28th, 2015, 08:34 AM
You like to keep referring to me as "Bruckner". But my name is actually Brucker. No "N". Think Trucker or F@#$Ker but with a "B" instead of the "T" or "F".

LOL, word association always works for me!

Fordguy77
December 28th, 2015, 10:41 AM
This is all you need.

Hypoid
December 28th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Now THAT'S ​a tool box! :D

We need a slobber smiley.

dieseldoc
December 28th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Nice rack set....

Brucker
December 30th, 2015, 10:15 PM
This is all you need.

I lust over a Lista/Vidmar/Lyon setup like that. But I shutter at the thought of pricing.

Brucker
December 30th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Do you have shelving you can utilize? Build some heavy duty ones. My husband built these in the shed as well as the garage of our old house and it was the very first renovation project to our current house.Fabulous space savers! Build them as high as you can and get a 4 ft. step ladder. Easy. (But remember to save a couple shelves for the wife ONLY. This is a key issue because if you screw up... her shelving landscape will magically grow and many of your tools will be in a pile on the floor or... somewhere...)!!!:p

Thanks for the thoughts Jackie! But my wife doesn't get any room in my shop. The shop is for business, not personal. I don't get to store stuff at her work. Pretty sure the State would frown upon that ;) I already utilize lots of industrial and pallet shelving. About 100 liner feet worth of 84" tall x 24" deep (5 shelf) racks and another 40-50 liner feet worth of 10' tall pallet shelving. And I am ashamed to report it's all filled to the gills with new and used parts, tools, tooling, and equipment. I am kinda a hoarder when it comes to those things. :redface:

Jackie
December 30th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Ohh man... we wouldn't get along as husband and wife! I need a shelf or two (even if he piles crap all over the top of my crap)!:p

Brucker
December 30th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Ohh man... we wouldn't get along as husband and wife! I need a shelf or two (even if he piles crap all over the top of my crap)!:p

She has her own space. Again, this is at a business, NOT our house. A business where she is not employed nor spends any time in. The house and shop just happen to be on the same property.

Cr33p3r
December 30th, 2015, 11:38 PM
I would stack them and like previously mentioned put the lesser used tool in the top box.

Brucker
February 25th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Finally stopped messing around and decided that some decent industrial storage was the way to go. Went from this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZSRTCRm470oh4C110CfCr36ncSjgQR2CUkgL9RtuZW-c2cDRHjwYWZODx6PnsyM8A7nhjou7Y3DPkVPJ0jGNFhmzmEAJh thw59I26oRtQM0Yn627BybzaaKaZ44hbaVl79keavuS4DG1RE-ffUmu_NGgkn5pRdFjc2w5kFFRnEk9_XdX8jEEbpZU1_E_7kxjW qfJO8k3PctCW9q9WTJNS5pWsW7vw7hZhoxDYyFz1-uV7oSSylZrzttwXV7zDNcKQSUHd1I3c8uPiTGBLhTP9xRG-DjryMWZ83sKsw7lvALv4PbTJy6SOKCgvXgv6w-UQ_F_U1igikUTGxjtYmfg7H7vZH4t1opR4PpX0K04-a4GuNMBes545gm5QRj85S0JK1dXoVEgkAS4-pjMDjRoiflUVwm2UjUgaghXGyWQSeqT4mjVaP8MiIIG5A4JEsK tdHbIieLBEnjan1W_QERf4PfnXgya8qSfiFWlXlCA4wIGFHT5b UEQX3VFza3knaLZ3wNnk5YVR7vCUnKneZ7xkVvZyI0jAFgerc-88zRDHl6FkX_YZPDhVEPNTdVVCqZ_CDHxUg=w1280-h720-no

To this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/a7RghvZWLdmd9S2JiNiXFUzX2BRmwLhUFZwr_dpG9-xpVh7y12rtJv7nbTnsTOLk73hRJd4m0jfPGYMkpFBxFc0sAChJ FU2OvPhgf8E8yDtfnFdcYLZRAJgp0AR2cy__WrM3af9xph8i9f a720x5VHQrKitCxfql0GcT_2LHDBUjokdbjTtNqc7Y9J5Qo3pK Rm1gWuSBr_R15QmebfiZ4B975QXGW4iJifkVtSUeMPJIZz6Y9l Z0f3j3Di1UYc9H7bYzny_uBSfLWJZjT2z-p1ae619aKRi9IQMjZ9H-veTFqlRjpzr0pOY8BAzxA1GOpbxMItr-F9dduNOLFCEhLlVO81_Ew8xO6tQtlDK96R09OJGrPkaeCfVmFd xy8SRvewRVb4WDorXvUCvE-21ErWRCehpXYrqvG_i5MOjw1PSmxKZRoFbemkonZBBU5LvDDMY _gztEJOkP1ZvvmgNv9xGVVRGediYBdhfA4SG7NyYvj4PiQYa6h 856A34SQdBRnkVX6qNZONOnYq8_2LZrDctaB7dGr314ZjLwlkK 2cocFj3X34xlAFq3IDBSvKKa8_HzRbw=w1280-h720-no

And yes, everything that was in the boxes in the first photo is actually all put away in the new cabinet. New cabinet is a 24 drawer, 7' long beast, that is the same depth and height as my big Snappy box! Holds a ton! Well more, literally.

Will probably invest in a matching Snap On top box once I can find one for cheap, but for now, I am satisfied.

Jim
February 25th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Nice!

More horizontal workspace to boot. It does look clean.

EKXJ87
February 25th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Nice upgrade clean and organized!

dieseldoc
February 26th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Looks good man.
Sometimes the way to go is industrial.
You will spend on it but as you stated your happy with the purchase.
And it leaves you room to grow still.

Brucker
February 27th, 2016, 01:51 PM
And it leaves you room to grow still.

Only if I add a top box. Everything is about overflowing...