PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Expedition?

DETN8R
April 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Well kinda. I was thinking it would be fun sometime in the near future to run one of the longer trails in colorado thats still impassable due to snow or other obstacles. And just bash through it over the course of a couple days or so.

Something like that anyway, I've been having an itch to do something challenging after watching stuff like the Top Gear Polar Challenge and the Alaska Experiment.

Patrolman
April 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
There are obviously several places that have a real narrow window of opportunity. Most of the trails in the higher SW peaks are only open 6 weeks or even less. Thinking Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer, etc. TONS of snow in Winter and it starts again around Labor Day each year!

Funrover
April 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
For a great expo set up spend time in Ouray, durango, etc area!

4Runninfun
April 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
you could always look into doing all the trails along the continental divide. thats always been something i've wanted to do.

Funrover
April 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM
you could always look into doing all the trails along the continental divide. thats always been something i've wanted to do.

Doing the divide would be awsome, there have been a few changes from the original trail but I am still in!

DETN8R
April 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
when?

Funrover
April 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Not soon sadly!!!! Wedding and new place takes priority

4Runninfun
April 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM
BTW Aaron what day is the move scheduled for?

Funrover
April 25th, 2008, 09:46 PM
You have an IM!!

4Runninfun
April 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I do?

DETN8R
September 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Not sure if anyone wants to do this but I really want to especially after watching the Top Gear Polar Challenge again. I'm thinking we could take a relatively short trail on and just spend a couple of days/nights bashing through it and camping. I've got all my winter camping gear ready.

Brody
September 16th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Great idea, but it would be hard to get people coordinated. I have been trying to get people interested in doing the Ellis Jeep Trail, certainly one of the longer trails in Colorado and one that doesn't get done a bunch, for years and have generated little or no interest. At any rate, good luck and keep the posts coming so we know what is up!

Funrover
September 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Well not this year but next summer I have HOPES of doint the cont. divide through all of CO

4Runner3Wheeler
September 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I concur!

I've always wanted to do a border to border, all 4x4 trip, through Colorado.
:cool:

Doing the divide would be awsome, there have been a few changes from the original trail but I am still in!

4Runner3Wheeler
September 16th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Blanding into Moab has my vote. Although, Kokopelli sounds sweet too!!!

My whole purpose for building my rig is to reach highly remote areas safely. There is strength in numbers now that I have joined this crew. I am gear ready and can accomodate many extreme scenarios. I am somewhat new to off roading, but am a consumate outdoorsman.

Keep me posted of any extreme adventures as these are what really pique my interest.

Cheers! Keep planning. We'll put something together. It sounds like China Wall in the winter could be a good, close-to-home, testing ground for our rigs and gear for winter excursions. :D Cold weather camping is real easy if you have enough wood. :lol:

I am absolutely up for an expedition run at some point, although the Kokopelli Trail from Grand Junction to Moab or from Blanding into Moab has been what has really piqued my interest...

DETN8R
September 16th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking sometime in January maybe. Somewhere not to far from Denver. Maybe like a long weekend or something. I'll have to have new tires by then.

4Runner3Wheeler
September 17th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm really enjoying my Super Swamper TSL Radial. They are burly, yet have nice road manners.

I'm thinking sometime in January maybe. Somewhere not to far from Denver. Maybe like a long weekend or something. I'll have to have new tires by then.

DETN8R
September 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah, but my rig is my DD and even though those have a great price tag I'm sure my on-roading will wear them down pretty quick. Not to mention I have some front end issues that seem to have totally destroyed my XTerrains.

DETN8R
September 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
So right now I'm actually trying to get some people in on this trip. Right now its just me and my friend Adam. I hope to basically attempt to a complete a trail over the course of a couple days or so and camp on the trail during that time. I've got my winter camping gear ready so no problems there. I'm just wondering what trail I should try.

It will be a minimum of atleast 2 rigs well stocked with a generator and extra fuel. Spare parts, etc..

So which trail should I attempt?

Anything I should know?
Permits?
Closures?

DETN8R
October 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Sorry to bump this thread but I'm wondering if I could still get some recommendations on which trail to run.

Thanks.

Brody
October 29th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Can't figure out what you are trying to do here, Fred, but figure that any trail over 10k feet is going to have snow on it and may already be closed. I don't have any suggestions other than to go to Wells books and/or trail damage to check 'em out. For a 2 day trail or so, I would try the Ellis Jeep trail. It starts in Steamboat and goes up into Wyoming before returning. Big loop, not traveled very much and traildamage gave good directions and write ups this last year.

DETN8R
October 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks brody. I'm just looking for an adventure. I've got a week of vacation left and would like to do something fun. Especially after watching the Iditarod Race on The Toughest Race on the Discovery Channel recently. I'm thinking this will more than likely be a lower elevation trail with a lot of snow on it. Not too far from civilization but enough to make it worthwhile.

What exactly qualifies a trail as closed? I mean if its "impassable"(which is kind of what i want) does that mean the FS markes it as closed?

4Runner3Wheeler
November 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Are you still thinking January for this?

When winter is winding down and Spring rears its head, we could do some of the longer trails where there will still be snow at higher elevations and a lot of mud. I'm fully in for an expedition at some point.

Thanks brody. I'm just looking for an adventure. I've got a week of vacation left and would like to do something fun. Especially after watching the Iditarod Race on The Toughest Race on the Discovery Channel recently. I'm thinking this will more than likely be a lower elevation trail with a lot of snow on it. Not too far from civilization but enough to make it worthwhile.

What exactly qualifies a trail as closed? I mean if its "impassable"(which is kind of what i want) does that mean the FS markes it as closed?

DETN8R
November 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Still holding out for January. I'm still in the planning stages as well.

4Runner3Wheeler
December 2nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Keep us posted as January is rapidly approaching.

Still holding out for January. I'm still in the planning stages as well.

Patrolman
December 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM
There are apparently some trails/areas that are closed in Winter for wildlife migration/feeding/mating/birthing. Other trails are open as long as you can get through the snow. I would say that most anything above 10,000 is going to be 100% impassable simply due to snow. Even though we got minimal snow this fall, the higher elevations can obviously be different. 10-20 foot tall drifts/mounds wouldn't be unheard of. That is why many of those trails are only open for short periods in Summer.

Brody
December 3rd, 2008, 04:45 AM
I am trying to put together a 'go for broke' trail run in the snow for sometime either before or very shortly after xmas. We are thinking that the FS trails that go form Hand Cart Gulch to Jefferson would be a challange.

Just a run to see how far we can get and planning on a lot of winching and breaking trail. Tye, Dave Nay, Aaron, Bren and I are up for it so far...Might be fun for you and give you an idea of how your rig is shaping up.

DETN8R
December 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I'm probably in for that Brody

4Runner3Wheeler
December 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
If you guys can firm up a date, I"m likely in too. I have a winch!

I am trying to put together a 'go for broke' trail run in the snow for sometime either before or very shortly after xmas. We are thinking that the FS trails that go form Hand Cart Gulch to Jefferson would be a challange.

Just a run to see how far we can get and planning on a lot of winching and breaking trail. Tye, Dave Nay, Aaron, Bren and I are up for it so far...Might be fun for you and give you an idea of how your rig is shaping up.

DETN8R
January 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I dont know my friend is being kind of flaky on the trip so it may just turn into a weekend camping trip.