PDA

View Full Version : Winching question

Jackie
December 28th, 2015, 01:07 AM
About a week ago or so, my husband got our minivan stuck on an uphill road in the neighborhood. Too much ice to handle. I showed up at the top of the hill in the Jeep and thought it would be an easy pull to get him up the hill. WRONG! I put it in Park I had the E-brake on and I had all of my body weight on the brake pedal but I was being pulled down the hill. I must be doing something wrong. If this should happen again, should I strap my Jeep to a tree before I begin winching? What am I missing here? I've still got good tires, but when you put them on ice like that... game over.:confused:

Robert B
December 28th, 2015, 03:37 AM
correct to put it simply :) even if the van is lighter the hill and gravity make it much heavier and the jeep had no traction so it was pulled as it had less resistance than the van. and yes the easy way is if there is a nice big tree to strap the rear of the jeep to as an anchor ( can use another vehicle when wheeling if no trees) then winch. :)

94ToyBear
December 28th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Fun times ! Do you have a snatch block ?
https://www.offroad-ed.com/michigan/studyGuide/Using-a-Winch-To-Pull-Out-an-ORV-Basic-Steps/401023_700072830. A fast search came up with web site of winch basics and using a snatch block.
Pretty great descriptive advice, see picture after step 21, if that was an option id say go that rought, if no snatch block. Ancore to near by Large tree that can handle at least the weight of the jeep and van plus

Patrolman
December 28th, 2015, 07:44 PM
As others mentioned, either secure your Jeep to a tree or some other solid object to keep from sliding, or use a snatch block. Either way, make sure you use a tree saver strap. My personal choice would be to use the snatch block with the tree saver attached to the tree.

You can do this one of two ways. You can be on the uphill side, run the cable to the van which has the snatch block attached, and then run it back to a tree. This "should" work to keep you from sliding. It will double the pulling power of your winch, and the tree takes 1/2 the weight while the Jeep takes 1/2 the weight.

The 2nd option is to be downhill so the Jeep is near to the Van with both pointing uphill. Run the cable to a tree where there snatch block is located. Then run it back to the Van. Doing this will not double the power of the winch, but will put all the weight on the tree. If the Jeep were to slide some, it would be going uphill as well.

Both options have their +/-, so it depends on personal preference and how much room is available.

Jackie
December 29th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I do have a tree saver and a snatch block and will try that next time. Because of where we were (blocking neighbors access to their homes) we had to move quick just to get out of the way. We ended up getting it out with a strap.

94ToyBear
December 29th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Not a bad idea to play around with it over the weekend just for fun and practice.

Serious Offroad
December 29th, 2015, 06:57 PM
http://www.bushwacker.com/blog/how-to/how-to-winch-basic-winching-techniques

Patrolman
December 29th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Too bad the video in the link with the XJ is not available in the US. I wanted to see what happened to the front axle.

Hypoid
December 29th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Too bad the video in the link with the XJ is not available in the US. I wanted to see what happened to the front axle.
Looks like the vid is copyrighted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA3J--g_yI

Patrolman
December 30th, 2015, 05:08 PM
That is AWESOME! Hopefully Jackie doesn't do the same to the minivan!

dieseldoc
December 30th, 2015, 05:35 PM
oops!
one word SHOVEL

Any how the ancore or snatch block are the options.

glad you are enjoying your jeep and it abilities, even if its just around the house!
The joys of mountin living.

Jackie
December 30th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Haha Brandon! I'm "smarterer" than that!

PS: I be back off road... Life has just thrown me a curve ball and I haven't recovered yet... In more ways than one... Everything is going to be OK! ;):smokin:

dieseldoc
December 30th, 2015, 05:45 PM
the shovel was at the video clip.