PDA

View Full Version : Boner stuck FJ on Hessie trail on 1-11-16.?

Duppie007
January 12th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Figured I'd shame the guy that did this being that I'm a huge leave no trace hiker/crawler let alone the illegality of it... 4x4ing a in a wildnerness area, I wonder what the fines on that are?:lmao:

I was out hiking yesterday at Hessie Trail outside of Eldora. when we left the hessie/4th of july rd split a guy and girl asked us if we had cell service because their truck was stuck. We didn't have service but we told them were it would pickup at. We also told them to call Help Towing, as they're cheaper and they're local, and deal with flatlanders with toyotas that "go anywhere" all the time. I figured they were stuck in the creek right at the begining of the split from 4th of july rd. We hiked past that creek part, which really is the crux of that little spike of trail, and no FJ. I could not believe what I saw when we came to the hikers only trailhead for Hessie. I saw a FJ on the Hessie trail stuck about 15 yards past the first "no motor vehicles" sign just up the embankment from the creek. :tisktisk: His toyota got him that far and just sunk to the axles. We took some funny pics and went on our way.
We came back in time to watch Help Towing do a couple of 2 point recovery winchings, which were a good learning experience for me. And charge the dude $300 an hour that should have included a kick in butt. it was a 3.5 to 4 hour recovery.:lmao:

Also, it's funny in my book, the girlfriend was NOT with the guy when he was being recovered by Help Towing.

I don't know, it's just a face palm I came across. The guy that did this deserves a shamming or two or an ear flick or 100, and we don't have a thread for "dumb ideas while on the trail" or a "what was I thinking" thread.

theluke19
January 12th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Nice picture lol - I hope he learned his lesson!!!

Chris
January 12th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Nice! I hope Help Towing or you sent a pic to the FS - they guy deserves the $500 fine to cement the idea in his head that going off trail is stupid.

Duppie007
January 12th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Nice! I hope Help Towing or you sent a pic to the FS - they guy deserves the $500 fine to cement the idea in his head that going off trail is stupid.

We didn't report him because other people on trail were talking about reporting him. I'll give the FS a call tomorrow and see if he was reported or not and pass on the photo either way. Sometimes people like this make me wanna pick up 20 pieces of litter on the trail instead of one, just to make up for the slow learners...;)

Cheers!

The StRanger
January 12th, 2016, 05:14 PM
I think jack's like that should have there rig impounded..

Stu
January 12th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I think jack's like that should have there rig impounded.
X2! glad he got stuck at least.

jayson44
January 13th, 2016, 09:47 AM
X2! glad he got stuck at least.

yeah, if he hadn't he might have made it much further up the trail. they removed the huge fallen tree that used to block the whole trail right after the big trail sign just a few yards past where he got stuck. now someone could drive all the way up to the bridge at the Devil's Thumb cutoff if their vehicle was capable enough...

J.