PDA

View Full Version : Moab!

Chris
April 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Moab Day 1 - Sunday

We decoded to start by staying on the paved roads and visiting Arches since we never have. There's no OHV roads in Arches according to the map and guide at the entrance.

No OHV?

Chris
April 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm also big on desert flowers and here's one you don't see every day - a cactus in bloom.

Funrover
April 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Man I want to get out there!!! Thanks for the pics!

Chris
April 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Heading back out in a few minutes, I'd like to know why people are having issues with IE but quite honestly facing the choice of running trails in Moab and geeking around with server and database stuff it isn't much of a decision. ;)

Pathrat
April 28th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Moab Day 1 - Sunday

We decoded to start by staying on the paved roads and visiting Arches since we never have. There's no OHV roads in Arches according to the map and guide at the entrance.

No OHV?

No OHVs? I have the shortcut documented between Tower Arch and Klondike, just not with me. It is the steep road up to and down from the mine site at the end of the Klondike Trail. I have let my kids to Salt Creek. The other road, can't remember the name of it since I am at work and without my maps, that leads to the Whale Eye Arch was closed last time. Your picture looks exceptionally familiiar.

I looked for you, or rather your vehicle, yesterday. We landed in Moab Saturday night and ended up parked in the midst of a bunch of RVs down at the Moab Rim Camp-park. I so need to expand my list of emergency camp spots.

4Runninfun
April 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
More pics!!! MORE PICS!!!! :D

Funrover
April 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Heading back out in a few minutes, I'd like to know why people are having issues with IE but quite honestly facing the choice of running trails in Moab and geeking around with server and database stuff it isn't much of a decision. ;)

GET OUT!! Just remeber to take LOTS AND LOTS of pics.. I live vicariously through others in Moab! LOL

Chris
April 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
No OHVs? I have the shortcut documented between Tower Arch and Klondike, just not with me. It is the steep road up to and down from the mine site at the end of the Klondike Trail. I have let my kids to Salt Creek. The other road, can't remember the name of it since I am at work and without my maps, that leads to the Whale Eye Arch was closed last time. Your picture looks exceptionally familiiar.

I looked for you, or rather your vehicle, yesterday. We landed in Moab Saturday night and ended up parked in the midst of a bunch of RVs down at the Moab Rim Camp-park. I so need to expand my list of emergency camp spots.

That trail was closed by water according to the hand out at the gate. The one we were on exits the parking lot at the Delicate Arch.

We're at the Adventure Inn, out favorite Moab hotel. How long are you here?

Chris
April 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Day Two - Monday

:princess: gets some picks, the CM08 runs are my choices. :)

We started with La Sal Pass but we stopped by snow. Jumped to Geyser Pass, also closed by snow. Took Sand Flats back, easy but very cool scenery.

Easy trials, the second are pretty much 2WD but made for a nice day regardless. Sand Flats is the access to Porcupine Rim (not this year) and Fins & Things (Friday) below is a pic of Fins & Things very cool slope that Barb decided we should do save for the group run. ;)

Chris
April 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Steel Lizard? What?

Funrover
April 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Wow, a lot more snow than I figured would be out there!

SCRubicon
April 28th, 2008, 10:12 PM
You'll like Fins N' Things.

Pathrat
April 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM
We're at the Adventure Inn, out favorite Moab hotel. How long are you here?

I'm back home now. :( What is the road at the top of your thread? I can't place the location. I swear I need a pen and paper (which is now in the door of the FJ) to remember where I have gone.

Chris
April 29th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I'm back home now. :( What is the road at the top of your thread? I can't place the location. I swear I need a pen and paper (which is now in the door of the FJ) to remember where I have gone.

That's the one inside Arches, it exits the parking lot by Delicate Arch.

Yes, a lot of snow Aaron, I've never run into any before but where we did it was very deep still. Broke through some drifts but we would have had to do that for what looks like the rest of the trail above 9K.

Steve, I do love Fins & Things! My favorite trail by far. This will be my fourth time running it and it's simply too much fun. We came in off Sand Gulch yesterday right to the spot where the pic shows, long steep downhill slickrock.

I can't repeat what Barb said the first time we did it :lol:and she decided we should wait until we're with a group to do it.

The weather's not looking real nice this morning, feels like rain. :(

Heading out to see what we find. :thunb:

SCRubicon
April 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM
My wife drove down that slope back in 2006. She was not at all happy (with me) at the bottom. Are you going to do/have you done Hell's Revenge yet? Hell's Gate is optional. I did it once, I'm calling it good...lol

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/MOAB2006/DSCN0886.jpg

Chris
April 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Day Three - Tuesday

Nice hot & windy day for Dome Plateau - very cool place I hadn't seen. Not much hard wheeling excepting deep sand which was scary tippy stuff. Twice I couldn't get the truck to go where I wanted, the sand made those decisions. :eek:

Very neat domes, much larger than I expected. Overall a great day.

SCRubicon
April 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Chris, I'm ready to head back to Utah - tomorrow! :)

Pathrat
April 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I want to go there! Love the third picture.

Chris
April 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Easy 6 hour drive, c'mon down! :D

Funrover
April 30th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Man this is horrible.. I am here doing school and want to visit..LOL Someday!

Brody
April 30th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Post more pictures! I am working in Fairplay through the week and am living the Moab run vicariously!

Glad you had fun! Like Aaron, We wish we were there. We hope to go in the Fall this year.

Chris
May 1st, 2008, 06:16 AM
Today starts Cruise Moab by running Elephant Hill, one of my favorites! Pics to come :D

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Getting Ready for Fins & Things today. Here are some randon pics from yesterday's run on Elephant Hill. :D

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
A few more...

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Love the pictures, love the scenery, love the trail! How was Elephant Hill as far as difficulty goes? It looks like I should be able to do it.

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Love the pictures, love the scenery, love the trail! How was Elephant Hill as far as difficulty goes? It looks like I should be able to do it.

You'd do fine on Elephant Hill, IIRC it's rated 3+ which seems to be primarily due to the entrance where you have to back up for part of it.

It'd fun!

Funrover
May 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I HATE YOU!! LOL Looks like a good time!

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Friday - Fins & Things

I love Fins and will probably do it every time I come out here. It's just fun, fun, fun!

A few pics before I go to the raffle and dinner.

I think I need a Photobucket account!

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Oh yeah, Steel Bender tomorrow :D

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
tell me if there is a bypass to the four foot face-planting drop towards the end.

Aaron and I are very envious!

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
tell me if there is a bypass to the four foot face-planting drop towards the end.

Aaron and I are very envious!

Nope, but by the time you get there you're totally used to the desent angles and it's fun. We didn't even use spotters because it's just a smooth slope with exceptional traction. If you aren't confident in your brakes it would be scary but otherwise it's plain old fun :)

I pic for your Pathrat. :thunb:

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Through the windshield view for you Pathrat, not bad, eh?

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
More Fins & Things

Chris
May 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
And a couple more...

Funrover
May 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Way to cool!!!

Pathrat
May 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
And a couple more...

THANK YOU!!! I have been babying the FJC...I am doing that trail next time. My brakes are JUST FINE and I so want to go down and/or up that slope after seeing the pictures.

Chris
May 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Steel Bender Rocks! :D

Wow, three major obstacles, The Wall, The Fall and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I'm not posting the best pic of me on the Wall because everyone suggests I send it to Toyota Trails for the upcoming issue which I'll do. In the meantime I'll post a variety.

Chris
May 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
A few more...

Chris
May 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
THANK YOU!!! I have been babying the FJC...I am doing that trail next time. My brakes are JUST FINE and I so want to go down and/or up that slope after seeing the pictures.

It's a blast and really quite easy! You'll love it! :thunb:

Chris
May 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
The Wall is scary hard, everyone made it up but without sliders the damage would be severe. Everyone banged hard on the rocks numerous times going up.

One truck ended up with a dent and doors not fitting after hitting so hard he ended up with a dent/buckle in the rear side panel from the impact on the slider. The only other damage was a sheared leaf spring center pin.

Too cool, 8 hrs, 16 miles. :lol:

Funrover
May 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Man this makes me want to go to moab really really bad

Chris
May 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Nice to hear from you Nay! Surprised I never ran into you there but it's a big place.

A week isn't enough time!

Chris
May 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Too cool Dave! :thunb:

Funrover
May 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

4Runninfun
May 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
nice pics Nay! making me jealous!

InsanityIsBorn
May 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Moab Day 1 - Sunday

No OHV? http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=440&stc=1&d=1209335967

Looks like you need a new license plate!!:D

Chris
May 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Looks like you need a new license plate!!:D

Came home (well, tried to make it) without that plate at all. I have no idea where it is :eek:

InsanityIsBorn
May 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
hmmmm might be what happened... losing a license plate can break transmissions..

Chris
May 9th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Here's another one from "The Wall" on Steel Bender.

Patrolman
May 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Those are cool pics Chris! Makes me want to go back! I haven't done a lot of the trails in Utah with the exception of basically everything in Canyonlands.

Elephant hill USED to be a LOT harder. There were a couple spots my IFS and rear locker would struggle with a bit. Not any more. They apparently blasted out some of the hard parts according to the lady at the Needles Outpost. When I was there last April, I could have easily run it in an old Subie. There is TONS of traction on the rocks. Plenty of lines to choose from!

Pathrat
May 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Elephant hill USED to be a LOT harder. ....according to the lady at the Needles Outpost. ....

Thanks for the update on Elephant Hill. It has been three years since I was there. Usually the Outpost lady knows what is going on down there. I had her number for weather reports (after heading into Lavender after a nice big old canyon flood) and will have to get it again. I want to do that trail myself.

Chris
May 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
IIRC that would have been SOB Hill which is now referred to as "paved" and Silver Staircase (?) apparently isn't nearly as hard as the past.

Still great fun, obstacles, backing up and down and a good bit of Baja!

solid rock
May 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Nay, how'd your bumpers hold up?