PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Winch mounting plate

FINOCJ
February 19th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Looking for a winch mounting plate for a CJ. I think the main mounting plate is the the same for CJ and YJ, but the side brackets that mount the plate to the frame are different for a CJ (angle plates that mount on the outside of the frame rails). Let me know if you have either the flat main plate or a complete CJ mount set-up. Figure someone might have an old one sitting around the back of the shop. If it comes with a good winch attached...even better!

thanks - James

Patrolman
February 19th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Just a hint - think about what winch you want.

If you decide on a Warn 8274, you need a different mounting plate. If you go with a Sidewinder, you will have to modify a plate. If you go for a PTO, you will likely have to build something from scratch.

If you go for an electric that has the "standard" bolt pattern, then a regular plate should work.

FINOCJ
February 19th, 2016, 07:43 PM
If you go for an electric that has the "standard" bolt pattern, then a regular plate should work.

this. I run and OD on my PTO port and although you can then put an adapter to run both the OD and the PTO, I am not into scavenging for such unusual parts. Plus I like to be able to run the winch even if the engine is off. An 8274 is appropriate for the vintage, but they are big, heavy and expensive - although have great line speed and a great history of effective use. Those 8274 mount plates are different, but they also have a large front plate for the fairlead that blocks flow through the grill and radiator. Its been over 12 years since I sold my CJ7, and I wish I would have kept the mount plate and brackets. Had a Warn XD8000i on it which I still like better than any other Warn winch. Oh well...With my old Jeep, I am not that concerned about the winch, but if the price is right....

Honestly, I might go budget 'generic' brand for this, or maybe mid grade like a smittybilt. But for the price of a winch set-up, there are a lot of other things that can be taken care of to keep it running, or running better.

Patrolman
February 19th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Sounds like you have it thought out. I run an 8274 on the front of my Scout and my 86 Toyota. They are fantastic winches. Finding the standard bolt pattern is easier anyways, so you should be golden if you find something cheap enough.

4wdhunter
February 20th, 2016, 09:32 PM
I've got a winch mounting plate off my old CJ7 that you can have for $20. I don't think I have the angle plates though. I'll look around for them. Must pick up.

FINOCJ
February 21st, 2016, 04:23 PM
I've got a winch mounting plate off my old CJ7 that you can have for $20. I don't think I have the angle plates though. I'll look around for them. Must pick up.

If you have the angle brackets as well, that would be ideal and I would be happy to go pick them up. If not, let me check around for some angle plates and see what just those might cost me. Do you have a pic of the mounting plate by any chance? many thanks - James

FINOCJ
February 23rd, 2016, 04:51 PM

I checked around for the angle plates - They are pretty expensive to order independently. So unless I can find someone who has a pair they want to sell, the plate by itself won't work. If you (or anyone) else has them...let me know. I would think for a complete set-up (brackets and plate) I would go $40-60 depending on condition and hardware.

dieseldoc
February 23rd, 2016, 05:43 PM
What about having them made???
Can't be that tough.

jayson44
February 24th, 2016, 10:28 AM
harbor freight sells "stock" winch plates. their winches are made in the same factory as smittybilts as well, but are cheaper in price. you might grab the whole package in one place...

J.

FINOCJ
February 24th, 2016, 04:20 PM
harbor freight sells "stock" winch plates. their winches are made in the same factory as smittybilts as well, but are cheaper in price. you might grab the whole package in one place...

J.

That is pretty much the idea. If I can't get the CJ specific angle plates separately for a reasonable cost, then it doesn't do me any good to buy the winch plate offered by 4wdhunter. At the prices needed for the angle brackets, plus some additional cost for the hardware, I can buy a complete set-up with plate, brackets and hardware for the same cost. But...I can always hold out hope that someone has some old CJ junk laying around they aren't using anymore and might part with cheap.

Patrolman
February 24th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Do you have pics of the CJ angle plates?

FINOCJ
February 24th, 2016, 07:37 PM
You can see them on this Warn link to the right - says Jeep CJ Wrangler - shows the mounting plate, the thin bracket is for solenoid mounting and the two angle brackets.
https://warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/winch_mounts.shtml

ok I think I got the pic to show here - sorry its so small

Patrolman
February 24th, 2016, 08:28 PM
I have a winch that is mounted to a plate that has similar angle brackets. My dad is borrowing the winch right now (long story). I will see if I can take pics and see if it will fit what you need.

redneck23ms
February 25th, 2016, 06:17 AM
it seems like i bolted a harbor freight winch plate straight to the top of the frame on the cj5 i had years ago.

Java
February 25th, 2016, 09:21 AM
my HF experience, it wasn't a bolt on for a TJ / LJ but it is a good plate http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?21999-25-Off-Sale-Items-Harbor-Freight

jayson44
February 25th, 2016, 09:39 AM
how's the winch, Paul? I had a Smittybilt on my last TJ for the 2 years I owned it, then moved it to my Commando before it got sold. it never gave me issues. I have an old Warn M8000 now that came with my Jeep and it works as well. I don't really know that I notice any difference between the two...

J.

Java
February 25th, 2016, 09:53 AM
I've never used it. I'm an incredible driver. :erm:

FINOCJ
February 25th, 2016, 11:21 AM
it seems like i bolted a harbor freight winch plate straight to the top of the frame on the cj5 i had years ago.

Biggest concern with that is the front frame horns are not boxed on 71 and earlier jeeps - its c-channel. So bolting to the top of frame would probably work most of the time but could bend and damage the the top rail. Going through the side of the frame is much stronger.

4wdhunter
February 26th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Been freaking busy as hell, so I apologize for not getting back sooner. I do not have the angle brackets unfortunately. Like others have said, I think you should be able to find someone to bend or weld you up some without too much trouble.

FINOCJ
February 26th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Been freaking busy as hell, so I apologize for not getting back sooner. I do not have the angle brackets unfortunately. Like others have said, I think you should be able to find someone to bend or weld you up some without too much trouble.

Thanks for checking - I'll keep my eye out for some brackets and if any come up I will contact you.

4wdhunter
February 27th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Sounds good

FINOCJ
March 2nd, 2016, 07:08 PM
Hi Mark - been digging around my scrap and junk pile, and think I found some solid angle iron I might be able to use for brackets. When you get a chance could you post or PM me some pics of the plate? And even better a couple of measurements: 1) overall length of the plate (left to right) 2) if there are two mounting holes on the ends, could you please tell me the distance between them? Trying to figure how I can both mount the winch plate and my tow hooks mounted on the front frame.

many thanks

4wdhunter
March 3rd, 2016, 08:17 PM
This must be a universal mount as there are holes freaking everywhere.

Here are the specifics:

Overall length of the mount is 36 inches, and overall width is 7.25 inches. The holes that the angle brackets mount to are 34.5 inches apart left-to-right, and 3.75 inches front to back.

The holes to mount the winch to are 10 inches apart left-to-right, and 4.5 inches front to back. I had a Ramsey winch on it, and am sure it will fit others.

If you need any other measurements just let me know, be happy to get them for you.

I can't seem to upload photos, and don't have a host account to post them to, but would be happy to email them to you. Let me know.

FINOCJ
March 3rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
Thanks so much for the measurements - that is way longer left to right than my frame width. I am only 29 inches from outside frame rail to outside frame rail so that may not work so well.

I have a friend who took a harbor freight plate and cut the excess 3.5" length off each side and then welded the excess cut-off pieces at 90 degree angle on the edges of the plate which then fit over and along the outside of the frame rails. Your plate length sounds similar.

thanks - that is gonna take some more thinking

Patrolman
March 4th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Is the width of your frame rails exactly 29" from outside to outside? I got my winch/plate back from my dad but it is just a bit longer than 29".

FINOCJ
March 9th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Hi Jeff - from outside to outside frame rail, its 29 1/8 inches. Of course, no guarantees that my frame horns are actually straight. The actual plate could be just a bit long - I think I have figured out a way to mount a plate using some scrap angle iron I got laying around. So, feel free to send me a pic if you like. thanks...

Patrolman
March 12th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Here are pics of what I have. I think the inside width of the brackets is 29 1/4. Could measure again to confirm. At least gives you an idea of what it is.

FINOCJ
March 13th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks Jeff - that might work okay. Looks like the tow hooks are welded to the angle brackets. What are you thinking price? Send a PM if you prefer.

Patrolman
March 14th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Yeah, the tow hooks and some of the bolts are welded. PM sent.

Patrolman
March 22nd, 2016, 08:31 PM
This might fit your needs. Looks like it is complete, hopefully it has the right plate. $200 is a very reasonable price if it is complete and works.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5503918822.html