PDA

View Full Version : Good place for a CB radio?

marksnow48
February 22nd, 2016, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone - any suggestions on a good place to look for CB supplies? Also, do most CBs require you to buy an antenna and a cigarette lighter plug to run in a 4x4 rig? I leave near 44th and Wads. Some older posts suggest the truck stop at 44th and Ward. Anyone had luck there? Any brand you are loyal to?

Thanks!

Mark

dscowell
February 22nd, 2016, 03:29 PM
You need an antenna to get a signal. Depending on what you get it may or may not need the cigarette lighter. Cobra is a good brand most people run. You can get a small magnetic antenna and small cb which you can plug into the lighter and when you are done you can probably take it out if you are worried about it taking up space. You can even get a hand held cb but they can be iffy depending on what you get.

Lowfill
February 22nd, 2016, 03:31 PM
Went to this pllace for some repaiton my old CB. He did an excellantjob, and has a good selection of newand used equipment to buy, and seems very helpful with the advice if asked.
Radio Service Center
918 South Sheridan Boulevard Denver, Colorado 80226
Phone: (303) 922-8107

robotzombies
February 22nd, 2016, 03:48 PM
It's a bit far from where you are, but I would also recommend Radio Service Center. The guy seems really knowledgeable and friendly.

Tom
February 22nd, 2016, 04:26 PM
I like my Cobra 75 WX ST, but its the only cb I've ever owned. Its small.

javaman34
February 22nd, 2016, 08:21 PM
I use an old Uniden pc66a. It is the same as a Cobra 25LTD. Good radio, but unfortunately Uniden model isn't made anymore. You will need a good antenna and have it adjusted so the SWR's (Short Wave Ratio) aren't through the roof. If those are really high, you run the risk of burning up the radio.

peglegfury
February 23rd, 2016, 09:56 AM
I got an Midland 75-822. It's pretty cool because its a handheld so you can unhook it. Convenient to use if you're spotting and don't want to scream and yell like a madman at drivers. When you get back in your ride you can swap out the battery pack for the included wired pack to plug into your 12v power. I haven't mounted my antennae on the Dak yet. I don't want to screw holes in the truck until I figure other things out. But hey, since it's a handheld it has a built-in antennae anyway! If you don't want to screw any holes in anything yet it might be the way to go, but without a long antennae you wont have very long range.
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR

I currently have an adjustable firestix antennae but they aren't super flexible. I hear long whips are the way to go. There's a lot more trees and various crap for an antennae to hit on Co trails.

Spieg
February 23rd, 2016, 05:50 PM
Just happened to be reading this and thought it would be a good resource.
http://bestreviews.com/best-cb-radios

wolfbuzz
February 23rd, 2016, 10:19 PM
According to the CB shop at Johnson's Corner purveyor, Cobra hasn't been a very good brand since they moved everything to China. However, given his advice anything short of a top-of-the-line Galaxy isn't so great (as those can be heavily modified to increase transmission wattage an stuff). Having said that I've had very good experiences with Uniden. Currently I run a Uniden Bearcat 880 and love it. It has a lot of features most of us don't need (IE; sideband). But, the built-in SWR and weather radio are very nice and I can't help but love tuning in a friend using the sideband.

P.S. I found the Bearcat because I'd wanted a radio with digital displays and functions. Surprisingly, a quality radio with sideband and weather and all that jazz with digital displays leaves only two choices; the Cobra LX series and Uniden Bearcat series. Naturally, after the advice from MR CB Shop Guy I went with the Uniden.