PDA

View Full Version : looking for Jeep Cherokee 98-2001

78bj40
February 23rd, 2016, 10:37 AM
Looking for a Jeep Cherokee 98-01 in decent condition preferably less than 150K mi. Truck will be a project vehicle for some higher end trails, plans are to give it a 6-7” lift, 35-38” tires, axle swap, re-gear and possible chop the top make it convertible to soft top. Pease contact me if anyone has or seen such vehicle, Thanks

94ToyBear
February 23rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
Are you going 1 tons?

78bj40
February 23rd, 2016, 11:06 AM
dana 44 is the plan

wolfbuzz
February 23rd, 2016, 10:21 PM
If you don't care about the transmission your quest shouldn't be too difficult. I know that when I was looking for one in manual it proved to be quite difficult. Good luck!

78bj40
February 24th, 2016, 07:25 AM
If you don't care about the transmission your quest shouldn't be too difficult. I know that when I was looking for one in manual it proved to be quite difficult. Good luck!

I been looking for one for about 2 month now, it seems like that the ones I looked at, they either have to much rust or the interior stinks like a public bathroom. The ones that sound promising are sold within hours of listing. I wouldn't mind getting one with high miles either at this point as long as the truck has not to much rust and the interior is in good shape, I can always swap the engine and trans.

wolfbuzz
February 24th, 2016, 08:58 AM
I been looking for one for about 2 month now, it seems like that the ones I looked at, they either have to much rust or the interior stinks like a public bathroom. The ones that sound promising are sold within hours of listing. I wouldn't mind getting one with high miles either at this point as long as the truck has not to much rust and the interior is in good shape, I can always swap the engine and trans.It is really just too bad that the Cherokee was killed when it was. I'd argue that in spite of its relatively old design that model had a good five years left in it. I assume you're checking out Craigslists in surrounding states too?

78bj40
February 24th, 2016, 09:27 AM
It is really just too bad that the Cherokee was killed when it was. I'd argue that in spite of its relatively old design that model had a good five years left in it. I assume you're checking out Craigslists in surrounding states too?

Mainly Denver and Col Spg listings, not much luck so far. Then there is this other thing that I don't understand; some of the listings have no phone # so I'm sending an email with my contact # to have someone get back to me, guess what, 90% of the sellers will not even call back. Maybe it is just me but if I'm trying to sell something, I'll be available by phone or Email at any time!!
I'm sure that I'll find something soon, if not a Cherokee, I'll get a 4runner with the 4.7L and install solid front axle. I just don't want to spend a ton of cash on something that I might roll over, I can use my 78BJ40 for most of the trails but I would also like to go to higher ratings (7+) with something that I don't care about as much as I do about the BJ

Stu
February 24th, 2016, 09:40 AM
There was a small dealership on N. Navada in the Springs called Leitings Auto Sales, that used to stock cherokees specifically (even had some with manual trans). I don't know if it's still there or not, but it might be worth looking into.

Brian
February 24th, 2016, 09:55 AM
It took me about 4 months living on Craigslist to finally come up with a one owner 135,xxx mile 2000 Cherokee. Like you said, they don't last long and there was a lot of shady stuff to wade through in order not to get screwed. I just wanted a daily driver so the auto tranny was not a concern. Good luck on your search man!

78bj40
February 24th, 2016, 10:06 AM
There was a small dealership on N. Navada in the Springs called Leitings Auto Sales, that used to stock cherokees specifically (even had some with manual trans). I don't know if it's still there or not, but it might be worth looking into.

Thanks Stu, I'll do some search to see if I can find them

78bj40
February 24th, 2016, 10:08 AM
It took me about 4 months living on Craigslist to finally come up with a one owner 135,xxx mile 2000 Cherokee. Like you said, they don't last long and there was a lot of shady stuff to wade through in order not to get screwed. I just wanted a daily driver so the auto tranny was not a concern. Good luck on your search man!

You are correct, I spent way to much time on CL not to find anything good

EKXJ87
February 24th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Louis,
I'm sure you've done your research but just a reminder the 2000XJ have been known to have weak heads "casting 0331".
Clean XJ's are out there but like everyone says you need to be ready and cash in hand. I found this 1987 w/210K last year for 600.00 and sold the rear d44 for 400.00. CL was my crack but I've been clean for 2 months now lol !!
Good luck with the search

78bj40
February 24th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Louis,
I'm sure you've done your research but just a reminder the 2000XJ have been known to have weak heads "casting 0331".
Clean XJ's are out there but like everyone says you need to be ready and cash in hand. I found this 1987 w/210K last year for 600.00 and sold the rear d44 for 400.00. CL was my crack but I've been clean for 2 months now lol !!

Thanks for the heads-up Steve, yes i heard about the bad heads, I'm trying to avoid them but at this point I'm lucky if I find a cherokee that is in good condition.

JandDGreens
February 24th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Louis,
I was going to mention the same, But I would be looking for any XJ between the years from 95-99 because they have better brake boosters and you won't have to worry about the head defect. Also since you are going to change out your axles anyway.

Mine is a 91 even with 225k on the clock I'm happy with it. But had to up-grade the booster (not a big deal though)

78bj40
February 25th, 2016, 07:15 AM
I was going to mention the same, But I would be looking for any XJ between the years from 95-99 because they have better brake boosters and you won't have to worry about the head defect. Also since you are going to change out your axles anyway.

Mine is a 91 even with 225k on the clock I'm happy with it. But had to up-grade the booster (not a big deal though)

Thanks David, I'm just hoping to find one in good condition

78bj40
February 25th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Search is over, finally got me a 99 XJ manual trans with 163K mi

EKXJ87
February 25th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Congratulation's I think? now the madness can begin its cool that you found a manual also.

78bj40
February 25th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Congratulation's I think? now the madness can begin its cool that you found a manual also.

Thanks, it took a while, little more than I wanted to spend but then again, how many XJ are out there in good condition with manual? Some time you just have to bend over and smile!!

Brian
February 25th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Looks sweet, congrats!

78bj40
February 25th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Looks sweet, congrats!

Thanks

JandDGreens
February 25th, 2016, 02:53 PM
That is the perfect XJ to work with, I hope it's in great shape. and didn't break the bank.

78bj40
February 25th, 2016, 03:14 PM
That is the perfect XJ to work with, I hope it's in great shape. and didn't break the bank.

David,
It is in overall good condition, some rust on the top in small areas, nothing big. It didn't break the bank yet but it will for sure, they always do!

Stu
February 25th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Looks like a good one Louis! Congrats on the find!

JandDGreens
February 25th, 2016, 04:57 PM
One thing about building an XJ is you can build a nice trail rig on a budget or put a little serious cash towards it and have a very capable do any trail-rig.

Java
February 25th, 2016, 06:27 PM
:thumb: Great find! Looks like it's in excellent condition. That has the reverse rotation high pinion 30 and the 8.25 rear, I believe; is there a big advantage to swapping those for Dana 44s?

78bj40
February 25th, 2016, 07:02 PM
One thing about building an XJ is you can build a nice trail rig on a budget or put a little serious cash towards it and have a very capable do any trail-rig.

I'll start with the lift and I'll see how much more I'm going to dump into it

78bj40
February 25th, 2016, 07:04 PM
:thumb: Great find! Looks like it's in excellent condition. That has the reverse rotation high pinion 30 and the 8.25 rear, I believe; is there a big advantage to swapping those for Dana 44s?
Thanks, I have to see which way to go is the best

moose
February 25th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Nice find!!

FINOCJ
February 26th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Think it needs 8" of lift, probably sprung over in the rear with 37s on locked D60s on both ends, regeared with 4.56 and while you are at it, you might as well push the rear axle back a bit, extend the frame and do some serious trimming of the fender wells. Maybe a new TC, some roll bar fabrication and skid plate protection, upgraded PS box and pump. Sheesh, I think you should just swap a diesel in there with a turbo. I think you can have it ready to go by the Anniversary Run next week - I'll drive your BJ40 in case you get stuck or something breaks! :D

Looking good Louis - if you regear it this summer, I'd come down to see how its done. Hoping to see you for the run next week.

78bj40
February 26th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Think it needs 8" of lift, probably sprung over in the rear with 37s on locked D60s on both ends, regeared with 4.56 and while you are at it, you might as well push the rear axle back a bit, extend the frame and do some serious trimming of the fender wells. Maybe a new TC, some roll bar fabrication and skid plate protection, upgraded PS box and pump. Sheesh, I think you should just swap a diesel in there with a turbo. I think you can have it ready to go by the Anniversary Run next week - I'll drive your BJ40 in case you get stuck or something breaks! :D

Looking good Louis - if you regear it this summer, I'd come down to see how its done. Hoping to see you for the run next week.

Thanks James

You are close, I already ordered Clayton's 8" lift with coil spring conversion, the rest to come. dana 44's or 60's , not sure where this will end up as of yet! You are always welcome to drive the BJ, I'll be going to the Anniversary run for sure, hope to see you there!

This is what I'm after:

moose
February 26th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I vote for Dana60s. Especially if you are talking about beating on it pretty good.

78bj40
February 26th, 2016, 04:48 PM
I vote for Dana60s. Especially if you are talking about beating on it pretty good.

they would be the ideal axles, let me check my wallet

FINOCJ
February 26th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks James

You are close, I already ordered Clayton's 8" lift with coil spring conversion, the rest to come. dana 44's or 60's , not sure where this will end up as of yet! You are always welcome to drive the BJ, I'll be going to the Anniversary run for sure, hope to see you there!

80% certain that Jen and I will be at China Wall - just don't want to sign up till I know for sure. The skiing hasn't been that great with the warm weather so it will be a nice change for next weekend. Drove the CJ to and from work today - it didn't break down so that is good. Had to make the non-vented gas cap a vented gas cap - I didn't think they went non-vented until 76 but should have realized that earlier. There were no specific vent hose connections on the tank and I thought the charcoal vapor recovery system was sealed - but it was not - that is how it vented. Of course, my 70 does not have a vapor recovery system, so I just looped off the vapor recovery lines and its been building up vacuum and limiting fuel delivery. The non-vented cap has some sort of emergency pressure check valve which is probably why I've been able to drive it as much as I have given the lack of venting. Removed that check valve from the cap and it should provide lots of venting - will be back to leaking fuel on all steep sidehills as usual.

The cherokee will be a great project for the Holy Cross/Spring Creek type options, and your BJ is more capable than a lot rigs - although I get not wanting to beat it up on the 7+ trails. An old 4wd trail guide used to rate those trails as extreme VDL - vechicle damage likely.

78bj40
February 26th, 2016, 05:22 PM
80% certain that Jen and I will be at China Wall - just don't want to sign up till I know for sure. The skiing hasn't been that great with the warm weather so it will be a nice change for next weekend. Drove the CJ to and from work today - it didn't break down so that is good. Had to make the non-vented gas cap a vented gas cap - I didn't think they went non-vented until 76 but should have realized that earlier. There were no specific vent hose connections on the tank and I thought the charcoal vapor recovery system was sealed - but it was not - that is how it vented. Of course, my 70 does not have a vapor recovery system, so I just looped off the vapor recovery lines and its been building up vacuum and limiting fuel delivery. The non-vented cap has some sort of emergency pressure check valve which is probably why I've been able to drive it as much as I have given the lack of venting. Removed that check valve from the cap and it should provide lots of venting - will be back to leaking fuel on all steep sidehills as usual.

The cherokee will be a great project for the Holy Cross/Spring Creek type options, and your BJ is more capable than a lot rigs - although I get not wanting to beat it up on the 7+ trails. An old 4wd trail guide used to rate those trails as extreme VDL - vechicle damage likely.

That is great news, it is always a great feeling when your rig is not letting you down, as far as the fuel leak goes, I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as it runs.

FINOCJ
February 26th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I got 25 gallon capacity now - I can dribble out a lot fuel and still have plenty!

dieseldoc
February 26th, 2016, 06:59 PM
so axles....for Ford super duty.
You get to super60 high pinion, the 10.5 sterling is a good axle and you get them for less than a grand.
That or find a wrecked dodge 3/4 series or 1ton gasser 60 front 80 rear.

moose
February 26th, 2016, 07:26 PM
I got 25 gallon capacity now - I can dribble out a lot fuel and still have plenty!

Hahah, hope to see you and Jen at China Wall

moose
February 26th, 2016, 07:30 PM
they would be the ideal axles, let me check my wallet

Not sure what it takes to fit D60s under an xj....with my 1500 they're a direct swap and the amount of money to build either is equal with the 60s being obviously stronger. If it wasn't for the timing of my front 44 grenading I would have 60s front and rear.

Either way, I call shotgun once you decide to break it...er break er in!!!

78bj40
February 26th, 2016, 08:49 PM

Can't wait to see all the work you did

78bj40
February 26th, 2016, 08:52 PM
so axles....for Ford super duty.
You get to super60 high pinion, the 10.5 sterling is a good axle and you get them for less than a grand.
That or find a wrecked dodge 3/4 series or 1ton gasser 60 front 80 rear.
I'm searching, hope I find something for a reasonable price

dieseldoc
February 26th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Pm sent