PDA

View Full Version : winch won't go, but it clicks...

jayson44
March 23rd, 2016, 08:28 PM
got stuck on my way to work today. tried to dig out, but the ditch was too deep. so I decided to pull cable. the winch (older warn m8000) spooled out the cable with the controller just fine, got it around the tree, went back to pull in the slack and it pulled for 1/2 second and then just stopped. any use of the controller just makes it click now. won't go in or out.

any thoughts? I tried jiggling the wires a bit (they were full of snow) and I got it to bump for a split second, but then nothing. I ended up having to wait until someone came by to pull me out, then wrapped my winch cable around my front bumper. not my favorite way to start my morning.

J.

Brian
March 23rd, 2016, 08:33 PM
Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1AEKZdPHuQ

94ToyBear
March 23rd, 2016, 08:40 PM
Ouch! At least you came out safe.

It might not have nothing to do with the exact issue, but what battery to you run, and is your winch connected to top or side post?

jayson44
March 23rd, 2016, 08:50 PM
haha, Brian, I was watching that exact video right when you posted. I also watched another on testing the solenoids.

Adam, I'm running an Optima Red Top. winch is connected to the top posts.

I do think I need to check all the wiring. the winch was packed with snow and it's been sitting in snow for two days (I don't have a garage) and that may have had something to do with it. especially since jiggling the wires that one time made it bump.

J.

Brian
March 23rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
Hahaha, yeah the internet is a small world :D

Hypoid
March 24th, 2016, 04:46 AM
Resistance (corrosion) at the cable connections will limit the amperage the motor can pull.

dieseldoc
March 24th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Red top.....not really the best option.
Red tops are more for large sound systems.
The yellow top,is more what you want and as a second battery.
These deep cycle batteries like to have deep pulls on a regular basis.
As a starting battery they don't last as long as they should.
Unless it's in a diesel that pulls a lot of power for preheat.

Conections, any corrosion will interfer for sure.
Huge draw with the winch and you have to keep things clean.

jayson44
March 24th, 2016, 08:42 AM
yeah, I actually read a few years back that Optima won't warranty a Red Top if you have a winch hooked up, haha. it was what came in the Jeep. I'll switch to something better once this one dies, or if I have extra cash.

I'm down below today at work and the Jeep is sitting in the sun. so I'm hoping all the excess snow melts so I can check on the connections tomorrow.

J.

newracer
March 24th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Red top.....not really the best option.
Red tops are more for large sound systems.
The yellow top,is more what you want and as a second battery.
These deep cycle batteries like to have deep pulls on a regular basis.
As a starting battery they don't last as long as they should.
Unless it's in a diesel that pulls a lot of power for preheat.

Conections, any corrosion will interfer for sure.
Huge draw with the winch and you have to keep things clean.

Actually you don't want any Optima batteries anymore. There are way better brands for less cost.

But yes you do want a deep cycle battery for winching.

BLOODBANE
March 24th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I run a Interstate (green and white from CarQuest)deep cycle in my Ranger (has a MMe9000). Never had an issue with it and it has started the Ranger when I lived in Gunnison, just fine (regular below 0 temps in the winter). They usually last me around 5-6 years before giving up.

dieseldoc
March 24th, 2016, 07:28 PM
The old optima batteries were good, the new stuff is made in Mexico
Thus why they don't Warranty them for snot.