PDA

View Full Version : Tire mounting

javaman34
March 27th, 2016, 01:24 AM
Anyone here have access to anything to mount tires and balance? I have 4 tires I need to get done for the Danger Ranger.

Patrolman
March 27th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Personally I mount my own tires with one of these. I have had it about 10 years, and probably changed over 100 tires with it. It can be a PITA, but the "machine" is handy to have. I mounted it to my flatbed trailer so I can use it anywhere I want, and easily unbolt it when I am done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

Then to get them balanced, I have a place that will balance for $4 a tire.

Sometimes when I don't have time to break out the manual tire machine, or if I am just doing a single tire and it isn't worth it, I take the tires to this place. I have probably been there a half dozen times. They have always charged $10 a tire to swap it out and balance. I would call beforehand just to confirm it is still the price. Good service, but I have never bought a tire from them (they sell lots of used tires).

De Luna's Tire
2485 Federal Blvd
Denver, Colorado 80211
(303) 458-5312

96EXXLTinCO
March 27th, 2016, 10:01 PM
I do em by hand then take em in to get balanced. Hardest part is breaking the beads. I put a bottle jack on the sidewall as close to the rim as possible, then jack it up under the truck somewhere, hitch is a good spot if you have one. I've had some that were really stubborn, had to jack it up, release it, turn it a bit and repeat till it breaks. Several you tube videos on how to change tires at home. Some were meant to be how to's and wound up being a comedy. This one is ok, kind of a mix of how to and comedy.

https://youtu.be/dPVfn2NjirY

Only thing he doesn't mention is whether you're putting the tire on or taking it off, the "bead" part of the tire needs to be in the lowest part of the rim if you look at it cross-section wise, in other words, not on the raised portion where the bead seats but down in the "valley", the middle portion of the rim. All the videos with guys fighting them forever, they have the tire in the wrong place. Took me quite a while to figure out what I was doing wrong and then FINALLY came across one where the guy described that, piece of cake from then on.

Jim
March 27th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Chad,

Two things...

First, are you putting the bottle jack under the tire - such that the tire is between the jack and truck? Why not leave the tire on the ground and put the jack between (sitting on the tire, near the bead) with the top of the jack pushing up against the truck)? Perhaps I didn't understand what you intended.

As an aside, lay the tire on the ground and slowly drive a vehicle onto the side of the tire to break the bead (I don't know if this would cause any ill effects / damage the tire that is being removed). Another option is to use some spare wood / 2x4's...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grunCumm8go

Second, as to the "valley" of the wheel - I'm with you there - did it WRONG on a motorcycle tire and learned a lesson. Curiously, my 35" jeep tires are quite easy to dismount/mount with two (or three) decent tire irons - no machine.

javaman34
March 27th, 2016, 10:17 PM
I do em by hand then take em in to get balanced. Hardest part is breaking the beads. I put a bottle jack on the sidewall as close to the rim as possible, then jack it up under the truck somewhere, hitch is a good spot if you have one. I've had some that were really stubborn, had to jack it up, release it, turn it a bit and repeat till it breaks. Several you tube videos on how to change tires at home. Some were meant to be how to's and wound up being a comedy. This one is ok, kind of a mix of how to and comedy.

https://youtu.be/dPVfn2NjirY

Only thing he doesn't mention is whether you're putting the tire on or taking it off, the "bead" part of the tire needs to be in the lowest part of the rim if you look at it cross-section wise, in other words, not on the raised portion where the bead seats but down in the "valley", the middle portion of the rim. All the videos with guys fighting them forever, they have the tire in the wrong place. Took me quite a while to figure out what I was doing wrong and then FINALLY came across one where the guy described that, piece of cake from then on.

Now that is very informative. Thought about doing something like that. Thanks for the link.

96EXXLTinCO
March 27th, 2016, 10:18 PM
I may not have worded that the best, but yes, thats exactly how I do it. I have also done the roll up on it with another vehicle method, but only on tires that weren't usable anymore because I dont know if it would cause damage as well.

And yes Jim.........stupid valley, LOL.

javaman34
March 27th, 2016, 10:24 PM
The only question I have is what do I use for the lube?

94ToyBear
March 27th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Soapy water

96EXXLTinCO
March 27th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Soapy water

Yup, I used some dawn right out of the kitchen in a spray bottle with water.

Patrolman
March 27th, 2016, 10:38 PM
VERY soapy water. The soap is what seems to be most effective in allowing the bead to move over the lip of the rim.

Jim
March 27th, 2016, 11:22 PM
No Ether and a match people here??? :lmao:

javaman34
March 27th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Only if it won't seat. Then hit the ether and matches. Lol

Patrolman
March 28th, 2016, 07:36 AM
The ether and the match is only if the bead won't seat. Personally, I really have never had any issues. A good compressor that has good volume and flow is typically enough to seat it. If the edge of the bead is damaged a bit so it leaks, I have used a dab of caulk to stop the air leak, and presto the bead will seat.

96EXXLTinCO
March 30th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Every one I have done I sprayed both beads good with the soapy water, lean it up against something and push on the rim with my foot, turn it around and do the same on the other side, apply the air and they've always seated without issue.