PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Trees

Java
April 8th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Shooting trees or anything natural as a target is now a crime in some areas.

New regulations: http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/psicc/alerts-notices/?aid=32745

click the link on the bottom of the paragraph for the full PDF.

Jim
April 8th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I say - good.

In similar regard - just don't - they can spit the bullet back at you.

On a buddy's property (his tree), he set a target in front of it with the tree as the backstop. After some 45ACP shots we noticed a few bullets lying at our feet. Upon closer inspection, we could see a bullet, after shooting at the target on the tree, flying in air heading back to us. Those bullets and that tree had them _just_ making it back to the firing line and they were no danger - but perhaps a different condition they could be.

flashboiler
April 8th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Another "Do we really need a law against this?" Yes, yes we do.

96EXXLTinCO
April 8th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I vote we set up a live tree farm for those people and let em shoot at those trees all they want, then we just let nature run it's course......

redneck23ms
April 8th, 2016, 04:43 PM
i'm all for people not shooting live trees. but how much would this law really change? if theres nobody out there enforcing these laws then they will do no good. i have been wheeling in this state for about 4 years now and have only ever seen one ranger while out in the forrest. i was on a dirt bike at that time at a trailhead.

Spieg
April 8th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Some folks think trees are for hugging... :rolleyes:

Jim
April 8th, 2016, 06:40 PM
if theres nobody out there enforcing these laws then they will do no good.

I see your point, though, at least here in this forum, people are being educated to NOT shoot at a tree. IMO, education is a wonderful thing.

Now, while there might not be a ranger around, "we" won't be choosing to shoot at a tree and we may well, if the conditions seem right, have a polite chat with someone who is shooting at a tree / using a tree as a backstop. I had a chat with others on the last trail cleanup run I was at - and the conversation was polite and productive (fortunately).

Chris
April 8th, 2016, 06:47 PM
I have heard from a member here that another member randomly started shooting w/o any warning to others in the group. Not cool so maybe that guy is learning something now.

Java
April 9th, 2016, 07:40 AM
If you're referring to the story I told you homie also had an open beer and his 10 year old in the passenger seat. I didn't call him out there or online due to the Dunning-Kruger Effect; I just made nice in person and online (mostly) and have made a point of never spending another minute of my life around that idiot.

Chris
April 9th, 2016, 08:01 AM
I don't recall you telling me about this Paul but anyone shooting irresponsibly and/or drinks on a run should simply be booted. It's hard enough to have a good name doing what we do w/o someone reinforcing the stereotype all of us try to counter.

Java
April 9th, 2016, 08:35 AM
had I caught it on video I would have posted it, but I'm not getting into a public he-said-she-said with anyone, especially without pics or video. I'd have said something face to face in the moment if I thought there was any potential to it. You can't fix stupid, I just skipped the end of the run and got some distance.

Chris, I'll PM you a link to the video from that run.